The first song you ever recorded

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
metamorphosis
KVRAF
3872 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:12 am
These were done somewhere around 2000 on a Pentium 2 and Fruity 3 (I guess), usually on a Sunday after getting wasted on pills the night before :hihi:
Nice. Found myself wishing Opaque went somewhere melody-wise, I really like the start of it.

thejonsolo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:13 pm
Ok this is not my first recording, but it is one of the oldest I could find. It was on a cassette and was recorded around June 1984. I used one synth (Korg Poly 800) and two tapedecks with a splice in the stereo cable so I could dub multiple tracks from the output of the Poly 800...thus the bad quality, ha.
I like it! It's kinda retro-tastic in a brilliant 80's way. Feels like it's crawling right out of a VHS tape with an infomercial.

telecode wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:45 am
on a home computer or in studio. i believe i have one i did way back using Cakewalk 1.0 and Creative Labs Live soundfonts. :-)

Anyone remember mp3.com and posting tunes on there.. :-)
That and riffage.com - that's where I discovered my first 'online indie' artists - mp3.com was pretty awful sound quality (128kbps mp3s reencoded from mp3 uploads) but I still have many tracks. Shame it shut down.

Forgotten wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:16 am
Don’t have access to it, but it was when I was in a band called Bloated Goat and the song was called ‘She’s Got the Horn’. Probably around 80 or 81.
I'll amend the terms to be The first track you recorded that you still have access to - otherwise I feel a lot of peeps will be in the same boat.

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
12994 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 am

metamorphosis wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:12 am
These were done somewhere around 2000 on a Pentium 2 and Fruity 3 (I guess), usually on a Sunday after getting wasted on pills the night before :hihi:
Nice. Found myself wishing Opaque went somewhere melody-wise, I really like the start of it.
Thanks. That may be all the motivation I need to finish it :tu:
With melody included 8)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

User avatar
Forgotten
KVRAF
5899 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 am

metamorphosis wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm
I'll amend the terms to be The first track you recorded that you still have access to - otherwise I feel a lot of peeps will be in the same boat.
That would be a very long time after I first recorded as I really don't have access to anything that far back.

In addition to various band tapes in the early 80s, I recorded in a studio during the early to mid 80s (sometimes on other peoples songs), recorded quite a few MIDI based pieces of music during the 90s, recorded a ton of band/jam recordings in the late 90s - don't have any of it. The most recent I have is probably something from 10 years ago.

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3872 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:57 am
metamorphosis wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:12 am
These were done somewhere around 2000 on a Pentium 2 and Fruity 3 (I guess), usually on a Sunday after getting wasted on pills the night before :hihi:
Nice. Found myself wishing Opaque went somewhere melody-wise, I really like the start of it.
Thanks. That may be all the motivation I need to finish it :tu:
With melody included 8)
Look forward to it-

mountainmaster
KVRist
32 posts since 10 Jun, 2007

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am

An early recording from 1979. Just a small excerpt because the rest is even worse... :oops:
Heaven Number Seven (1979)

Two years ago I revisited that theme. This is what I actually had in mind at the time:
Heaven Number Seven (2017)

enroe
KVRian
1094 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm

The first real recording was a 4-track tascam 1/4'' recording
with some overdubs. It was in 1986 in a small penthouse - without any
DAW at all. The title was "Questions" - the text is quite naive :ud: :hihi: :

http://enroe.bplaced.net/21_mn/23_songs ... stions.mp3
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Music Bird
KVRist
233 posts since 23 Apr, 2017 from Eastern US

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:57 pm

enroe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm
The first real recording was a 4-track tascam 1/4'' recording
with some overdubs. It was in 1986 in a small penthouse - without any
DAW at all. The title was "Questions" - the text is quite naive :ud: :hihi: :

http://enroe.bplaced.net/21_mn/23_songs ... stions.mp3
This is not bad for the time, that hi hat sounds super familiar, maybe 606?
Synth1, PG8X, Dexed, Sound Canvas VA, FB-3x00 series, blooo, scrooo, qyooo, SQ8L, GTG FM4, DSK Asian and Indian DreamZ, and much more VSTs. Casio, Yamaha, Korg, Alesis HW.

enroe
KVRian
1094 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Yes, similar: It was the boss dr-110 "dr. rhythm". The other drums were "mattel synsonic drums" - manually played on one track.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

sprnva
KVRAF
1680 posts since 16 Jan, 2013

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm

My first recordings were improvised jams recorded to tape, but this is the first complete track that I wrote. It was made with NoiseTracker on an Amiga 500. Some samples ripped from mods along with loops and one-shots sampled from CDs with a Technosound Turbo II cartridge.

Copyright? Wozzat?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkzg488v0xabj ... .mp3?raw=1
Image Image Image

User avatar
thomekk
KVRAF
2518 posts since 3 May, 2003 from Germany

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm

This is not the first one I ever recorded, but the oldest I have, it's from 1981
Tape of course.

https://kallweit.bandcamp.com/track/das-ende-der-ferien
Unimportant laughter New Album YouTube
music has become meaningless...we're just keep doing it

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3872 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:18 pm

mountainmaster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am
An early recording from 1979. Just a small excerpt because the rest is even worse... :oops:
Heaven Number Seven (1979)

Two years ago I revisited that theme. This is what I actually had in mind at the time:
Heaven Number Seven (2017)
Actually kinda prefer the first - the vague flamenco vibe works for me.

enroe wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm
The first real recording was a 4-track tascam 1/4'' recording
with some overdubs. It was in 1986 in a small penthouse - without any
DAW at all. The title was "Questions" - the text is quite naive :ud: :hihi: :

http://enroe.bplaced.net/21_mn/23_songs ... stions.mp3
Sloppy but fun - I like it.

sprnva wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm
My first recordings were improvised jams recorded to tape, but this is the first complete track that I wrote. It was made with NoiseTracker on an Amiga 500. Some samples ripped from mods along with loops and one-shots sampled from CDs with a Technosound Turbo II cartridge.

Copyright? Wozzat?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkzg488v0xabj ... .mp3?raw=1
Interesting - takes a while to get into it - that auto-harmonized sample is a staple of late 90's indie electronica - something I'm actually a big fan of.

thomekk wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm
This is not the first one I ever recorded, but the oldest I have, it's from 1981
Tape of course.

https://kallweit.bandcamp.com/track/das-ende-der-ferien
A bit of a meander, but I actually like the sonic nature of it - muted slightly mid-rangey tape sound.

aaron aardvark
KVRAF
1652 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 pm

metamorphosis,
I bought a 4-track Aria cassette deck recorder in 1984, recorded a lot of original music with that; I still have it. And I made a few recordings before that, where I recorded everything at once on a regular cassette deck. I'm not going to post my first song here, though thank you for reviewing my music. I listened to your song. I liked certain elements of the song. I think the best part was the arpeggio part. Cheers!

enroe
KVRian
1094 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:08 am

mountainmaster wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:41 am
An early recording from 1979. Just a small excerpt because the rest is even worse... :oops:
Heaven Number Seven (1979)

Two years ago I revisited that theme. This is what I actually had in mind at the time:
Heaven Number Seven (2017)
Actually I like the first more. Why? I don't know ...
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3872 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:40 am

enroe wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:08 am
Actually I like the first more. Why? I don't know ...
I think it has more 'authenticity' to it. Sounds more like a real thing.
Second one sounds more 80's somehow

User avatar
excuse me please
KVRist
289 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Re: The first song you ever recorded

Post Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:19 am

@enroe
Sounds very contemplating!

Return to “Music Cafe”