Bitwig 3.1 - are you upgrading?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sebastian_blu wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:28 am I wasn’t able to do the vertical pitch painting though. Anybody know how?
You have to use alt+shift. The changelog is not that clear.

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm To make it more tangible, if you're on 3.0.3 and your upgrade plan has already expired or expires shortly - will you consider extending it due to features added in 3.1 (beta)?

I'm frankly very underwhelmed :(

1) I don't care about micro-pitch device, to "wobble" the tune of my instruments or use exotic tunings. And I doubt more than 5% of user base cares about it either. Producers nowadays have so little regard to make their tracks sounding musical that we should actually try & help them get better, not worse…
Considerably more than 5% of the world uses different forms of tuning than the 12 pitch classes that every other DAW employs. Does the music from these places sound “worse”?

Personally, this update moves me from “interested” to “definitely purchasing”.

I have a coupon but I guess I will wait for 3.2

andypryce wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 am I have a coupon but I guess I will wait for 3.2
Great thing is if you don't realy need this stuff, you will still get it all anyway when you take the 3.2 upgrade (assuming that has something you want!) and you will get everything else free for a year!

I am pretty sure these is at least a couple of things of use to everyone in this update, but totally get it may not be 'enough' to make you cash in your upgrade plan voucher! I suspect however there may be quite a few people who are 'in to' the microtonal and weird scale stuff that now have BWS firmly on the radar!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

If past is prologue, there may be additional things added before the 3.1 official release. Perhaps there are other under the hood / core framework changes that they simply need to start testing?

Anyway, I used a code I bought this summer to reactivate my plan.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

xx JPRacer xx wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:35 pm I'm still on the plan so I'll take the update but if I wasn't on the plan I wouldn't upgrade. These are nice features but are like you said, pretty "niche".
Same here. (that saved me some typing :D )

In short, yes, I think this is a huge addition and I think microtuning is severely underestimated by most people. It's great to see a somewhat popular DAW introduce it in such a user friendly manner.

This feature is a lot more powerful than 'making weird out of tune stuff'. And re: antic's post about people not being musical enough anyway and this being a distraction, I beg to differ. Spending a little bit of time studying microtonality (I'm still a total beginner though) massively expanded my knowledge and conception of music, harmony, sound in general.

It amazing how often people want microtonality/Scala (SCL) files in new VSTs - now you can drop this in the grid and use it on any MPE ready VST (and if your VST isn't MPE ready, have a little word with the Dev ;-))

Its actually a lot of fun and quite creative to drop back in to old works with say a synth solo and just try different scales, it can make some very cool and subtle results...

Even if you don't care what's going on, pouting and arp/sequencer then the tonal module before something generating PADS can give amazing ethereal results that you would probably never get any other way....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:20 am
andypryce wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 am I have a coupon but I guess I will wait for 3.2
Great thing is if you don't realy need this stuff, you will still get it all anyway when you take the 3.2 upgrade (assuming that has something you want!) and you will get everything else free for a year!

I am pretty sure these is at least a couple of things of use to everyone in this update, but totally get it may not be 'enough' to make you cash in your upgrade plan voucher! I suspect however there may be quite a few people who are 'in to' the microtonal and weird scale stuff that now have BWS firmly on the radar!
Definitely great stuff for the interested.

I'm a massive fan and supporter of Bitwig every since v1 but i have to say this latest update isn't overly 'for me'. But i can see that for some it will be. I don't expect them to please my tastes EVERY time though. So it's cool :-) And the upgrade policy now makes total sense... they are not forcing me to upgrade, so I'll wait till the features suits me and justifies upgrading. Really nice.

Note-Repeat i'm probably most excited about on this release.

For my wish list for future upgrades, it will all be functional/work flow stuff. Small bugs ironed out, quicker ways to do things, inconsistencies rectified, performance improvements, and audio comping for when i record vocalists and guitarists. that kind of thing. Groove templates would be nice too.

Cheers!

askewd wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am I'm a massive fan and supporter of Bitwig every since v1 but i have to say this latest update isn't overly 'for me'. But i can see that for some it will be. I don't expect them to please my tastes EVERY time though. So it's cool :-) And the upgrade policy now makes total sense... they are not forcing me to upgrade, so I'll wait till the features suits me and justifies upgrading. Really nice.

Note-Repeat i'm probably most excited about on this release.

For my wish list for future upgrades, it will all be functional/work flow stuff. Small bugs ironed out, quicker ways to do things, inconsistencies rectified, performance improvements, and audio comping for when i record vocalists and guitarists. that kind of thing. Groove templates would be nice too.

Cheers!
This :clap: :clap: :clap:

+1 @askewd
Plus, for me, further embellishment toward chord/harmony tools, similar to Tracktion--all germane as it furthers the composer/creative aspect of BWS.

If there will be a cheaper price for Black Friday, then yes. Still using 2.x

On 3.0.3 and going to wait here, I will see what they come up with next year. Skipping the Cubase 10.5 update as well.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I made this wishlist a few years ago, and not much (that is important to me) has been implemented. I'm not knocking Bitwig - whatever they do implement is amazing, but I haven't had the need to update in a long time. I'm definitely in the workflow- / bugs- / performance- first camp, so I'm still holding out. I also still use it, because the workflow that is there is still king.

http://bitwig.shadiradio.com/

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=461342

Return to “Bitwig”