New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:15 pm Touch keys is great actually. Too bad it's only suitable for flat surfaces (standard piano keys).
With some limitations inherited by the poor design of the standard piano keys. :(
"The narrow part of the white keys senses on the long axis only."
"Pitch bend is actually a slide on the long axis only."
"Contact distinguishes between the tip and the pad of the finger, thus gives an additional control dimension."
With the last one it pretty much depends if you'd like to press the piano key or not.
Seems there is no need for keyboard if you use the standalone kit... just fix it on a piece of plywood.

Touch-capacitor sensors like on a smartphone, a data controller and features are implemented by software.
I actually have a Microfreak which is a similar thing I guess, I can roll my finger (apply more surface area) and map that expression to something (pseudo velocity or filter) but it isn't realy the same as say the Seaboard that has pressure, x, y and even strike (how fast you take the finger off...although I have personally never found a use for that!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I was wondering if it's some kind of touch keys type overlay since someone in the video mentioned it being great for keyboard players. However touch keys already exists so it wouldn't be that exactly. And the images have some parts I can't quite figure out but looks like more than a keyboard for sure.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:22 am Video seems like pure, 100% hype to me with zero substance.
Yeah teasers don't generally have substance. That's how it works.

Apparently, it is some kind of combination of standard keyboard with the Haken Audio Keyboard (Continuum).
It is not going to be cheap for sure.

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm Apparently, it is some kind of combination of standard keyboard with the Haken Audio Keyboard (Continuum).
I could never work out why those Continuum keyboards were so expensive- its like 5 grand or something for the 88...I will be pretty disappointed if its another 'flat' control surface with no feel/action....I like to feel keys go down.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I have the Sensel Morph
https://sensel.com/pages/the-sensel-morph
Very responsive. Got it on BF sale for $150 IIRC.

the downside
1. There is no key motion vertically
2. the keys are a bit narrow.

But other than that I am glad I got it.
Love MPE.

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:35 pm Apparently, it is some kind of combination of standard keyboard with the Haken Audio Keyboard (Continuum).
About the price: it depends if it's based on the mini or the continuum philosophy: on the mini, you have 4 sensors i think and a metallic bar like the Trautonium, on the half size 256 sensors. (this "sensors" are expensive.....)
Best
YY

Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:23 pm I have the Sensel Morph
https://sensel.com/pages/the-sensel-morph
Very responsive. Got it on BF sale for $150 IIRC.

the downside
1. There is no key motion vertically
2. the keys are a bit narrow.

But other than that I am glad I got it.
Love MPE.
The sensel can have a Y modulation: cc74.
Agree with you, the sensel is responsive and the keys are narrow but it's night and day compare to a continuum.
Best
YY

^^^

Now if there was a Continuum like midi controller 1/4" thick that can be rolled up for $300 I would be the first costumer. One day this may happen. :love:

Haken Continuum uses Hall-effect (sensors, present from the late 60s), sensing magnetic bars or rods attached onto springs.
Three of these rods correspond to a note
All this covered with a rubbery textile around a silicone (polysiloxanes) fabric... to give a continuous like surface... and there you have it.
The problem is it is just a grid. Note one after the other, chromatically... and that is a limitation.

But for slides and vibrato playing is perfect, like Roli. Pitch Bend is a different story.
It has to be actually achieved by sliding the finger, like on Roli and that is not Pitch Bend.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:03 am Nope, he's making few videos for each movie he scores. I watched them. You apparently not. You have no idea what you're talking about, so just stop now. :smack:
Looks totally opposite :)
Murderous duck!

It's called Osmose.
https://www.expressivee.com/discover-osmose

Eagan Matrix embedded in it!

It has separate initial pressure and aftertouch. Very interesting! I wonder how those messages could be sent by midi. Maybe channel aftertouch and polyphonic aftertouch? Or does it even send 5D. Still reading...
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm

But for slides and vibrato playing is perfect, like Roli. Pitch Bend is a different story.
It has to be actually achieved by sliding the finger, like on Roli and that is not Pitch Bend.
Of course it is. The moment you alter a note’s frequency, you create pitch-bend. Stop with your insanity.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Of course it is. The moment you alter a note’s frequency, you create pitch-bend. Stop with your insanity.
dont set him off again :dog:

i do like the look of this new beast!

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:28 pm

The message you quoted was before our long convo the other day in the other thread. no need to bring it up again here.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”