ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm To expand, we might add chorus to our sound, phaser, many FX to make the texture of the same note drift over time. We may even turn off waveform retrigger or have random phase starting points of the waveform. All off these things are good. However, the nature of the shift in Nexus the "comb filtering" that occurs because of this can result in 3 off beat stabs exactly the same, then 1 odd. Then 5 the same, another odd. It doesn't flow naturally, it sounds like a glitch. Same goes for smeared transients.

It's worth noting the Virus TI is sample accurate but it also has a similar issue when using detuned unison, listen to the attack on this sound.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... UNVOGhpWkk

listen to how every so often the plucky transient turns into a strum. The patch is useless and unfixable. I hardly use the TI anymore. AVENGER is my favourite synth. Max respect for MAN on that one.

If CPU hit is unfixable, the only way round it would be to open up the performance programming sound bank creators have. To make it multipart, multi channel editable within 1 instance, like the M1.
"useless"Hyperbole much.i have no idea what you are complaining about in that clip at least.those attack shapes are more useful than most any VSTI i care to think of(the definition in the attack for starters.not to mention all the other reasons that the Virus TI IMO is a better instrument than most VSTI's)i can't think of a single VSTI that is that tight at the attack when not retriggering the phase (Helix comes close as does Z3ta)most of them sound like total mush with virtually unusable attacks, which is why before i bothered with outboard VA's i usually had to trigger them externally with gates(tedious)or multisample them for the track (even more tedious)in order to keep the attacks tight.you can actually hear that "issue"in a lot of professional material that is mostly VSTI's,so i guess it doesn't bother most people :clown:

Haven't used Nexus in over a decade so i pretty much forgot what it sounds like
I

The best and most practical solution here would be a Final Draft / HQ mode. By default would remain off, but if enabled the time-aligning thing would be fixed at the expense of CPU.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm The best and most practical solution here would be a Final Draft / HQ mode. By default would remain off, but if enabled the time-aligning thing would be fixed at the expense of CPU.
nexus already has the export quality option on the syspage. but even set to ultra there does not solve anything. in fact i haven't been able to hear any differences at all between several modes... could just be dummy parameters :lol:

I remember my Otari 8 track that used 1/2" tape. And my plethora of keyboards...all that analog. And when I cut the tape for an edit...whew...something would get lost, every time. I remember wishing things were more visual so I could get precise.

Then I read the last few pages of this thread. :lol:

I miss my Otari. :lol: :lol:

TIMT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 pm i have no idea what you are complaining about in that clip at least.those attack shapes are more useful than most any VSTI i care to think of(the definition in the attack for starters.not to mention all the other reasons that the Virus TI IMO is a better instrument than most VSTI's)i can't think of a single VSTI that is that tight at the attack when not retriggering the phase
The issue with the Virus, as featured in the clip, is the unison, detuned. Every now and then a note is more like a strum, yet my intention is for the note to appear plucky as 1, it ruins the attack transient. If the sound is not unison, the attack transient is fine but we can't use unison. Can you hear it? It's random, unintended, not programmed to be doing as such, over along duration of time, must notes will be nice and plucky then 1 will be extremely smeared. In other VST's, we can use Unison and maintain perfect start points in time but have differences in phase.

Lets not get too off topic here though, this is about Nexus not Virus.

Edit: and I'm glad you think my patch isn't "useless". I was going somewhere with it but gave up once I couldn't keep the transients in line, I didn't notice it at first but once i did!!! It's one of the last patches I designed on the Virus.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

msvs wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:45 pm I know what you mean and understand the "problem" :), but however, I can understand refx that they dont change it. Like I said it could have impact on the CPU and you both are the only ones ever bothered in 10 years. So I don't think you should not expect anything anytime soon. Next time I have a session with Mike I could speak about this topic, but I guess he will tell me some good reasons that it must stay as it is. Sorry not the answer you both were hoping for, but I am just honest with you. :ud:
Thank you. That's a perfect reply. My original post doubted it too. I love "The Nexus" (not as much as Avenger), I just wish it could be achieved. I'll still probably upgrade. I recommend it to everyone but I'll keep bringing it up, that annoying kid at back of class.
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

frizzbee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm The best and most practical solution here would be a Final Draft / HQ mode. By default would remain off, but if enabled the time-aligning thing would be fixed at the expense of CPU.
nexus already has the export quality option on the syspage. but even set to ultra there does not solve anything. in fact i haven't been able to hear any differences at all between several modes... could just be dummy parameters :lol:
Load up one of the dark layer pads (like PD Ambient Pad 03)
Now play some high notes while toggling back and forth between Low and High Quality; once you hear the aliasing, it's hard to ignore it.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:18 pm
TIMT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 pm i have no idea what you are complaining about in that clip at least.those attack shapes are more useful than most any VSTI i care to think of(the definition in the attack for starters.not to mention all the other reasons that the Virus TI IMO is a better instrument than most VSTI's)i can't think of a single VSTI that is that tight at the attack when not retriggering the phase
The issue with the Virus, as featured in the clip, is the unison, detuned. Every now and then a note is more like a strum, yet my intention is for the note to appear plucky as 1, it ruins the attack transient. If the sound is not unison, the attack transient is fine but we can't use unison. Can you hear it? It's random, unintended, not programmed to be doing as such, over along duration of time, must notes will be nice and plucky then 1 will be extremely smeared.
Isn't that perfectly normal when you don't use oscillator phase retriggering?

chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm
Isn't that perfectly normal when you don't use oscillator phase retriggering?
The phase yes... But what should change is the starting point of that waveform with in it's oscillation. Not the starting point of the wave in time relative to the note. It's very hard to put that in words.

I couldn't figure away round it. It's a characteristic of the virus unison mode. Perhaps if he didn't stop developing it, we'd of got an alternate method as an option. For a period he was adding lots of free new features (a lot), the free was a mistake, had he made them paid, he might not of lost interest. And, we'd have an even better piece of hardware, or even the extra distortions etc as plug in packs.

Edit: it maybe the characteristics of unison to achieve the Viruses detune (but then when it's perfect, which a few notes are, the detune would be ruined) or perhaps, the unison detune happens to lose it's sample accuracy as a side effect in the coding. I doubt we'll ever know.

mitchiemasha wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm It's worth noting the Virus TI is sample accurate but it also has a similar issue when using detuned unison, listen to the attack on this sound.

listen to how every so often the plucky transient turns into a strum. The patch is useless and unfixable.
Yes, it definitely shouldn't sound like that.

Did you use global unison in this patch and if yes, did it have LFO phase offset between voices?

Just guessing, I don't remember my Virus ever behaving like that.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm
mitchiemasha wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:28 pm It's worth noting the Virus TI is sample accurate but it also has a similar issue when using detuned unison, listen to the attack on this sound.

listen to how every so often the plucky transient turns into a strum. The patch is useless and unfixable.
Yes, it definitely shouldn't sound like that.

Did you use global unison in this patch and if yes, did it have LFO phase offset between voices?

Just guessing, I don't remember my Virus ever behaving like that.
It was a while ago now... The link's from when I raised the issue over on the Virus Forum and relevant so reused it. If you have any ideas fire away. I tried everything when realising it, nothing worked. It's definitely related to unison. I'll dig the patch out.

My only guess would be that there was some LFO influencing the attack so if different voices had different LFO starting phases the attacks on these voices would also sound different.

If you find the patch look what the LFOs are doing.

I make short plucky chords in my Snow every now and then, never noticed anything like that.
Last edited by recursive one on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

frizzbee wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:07 pm
Great! So the mode already exists - just make that mode time-aligned, not for normal use of the plugin as a whole. A new (non-dummy!) parameter.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

recursive one wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:22 pm My only guess would be that there was some LFO influencing the attack so if different voices had different LFO starting phases the attacks on these voices would also sound different.

If you find the patch look what the LFOs are doing.

I make short plucky chords in my Snow every now and then, never noticed anything like that.
I wish that was the case but it isn't.

sacer wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 pm
msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 am then its your lucky day: Nexus 3 won't use the elicenser dongle any more. And you have 2 activations

good new, nexus would be very usefull for my notebook, because it doesn't need so much power as synths, but I never used it with my notebook, because it's not comfortable to switch the dongle, you have not enough usb inputs if u use other controllers and you are always afraid to lose or broke the dongle.

Nice Decision :)
I broke the dongle. Now plastic comes off without electronics and stays in USB port. Can't move it.

Return to “Instruments”