Ilock nightmare

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Depends on attitude and what you need to get done I suppose.

I use Firefox cranked as high privacy possible (at least on the winders Firefox installs). At those settings the software clearly warns "may break some sites". Which IMO is a feature not a bug.

I figure if FF,.at its most vigilent settings, breaks a site then I will visit other sites which do not need tracking in order to work correctly. "Too many fish in the sea." Sites are not exactly rare commodities.

Would have to bend if I encounter some recalcitrant mission-critical site. Luckily it will never be ilok. If hell ever freezes over then I will have to somehow endure the cold snap sans ilok. :)

plexuss wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:08 pm FYI Firefox is at 6.9% usage so probably not worth the dev time to support it.
https://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
Here's another fun statistic:
Over 4.33 billion people were active internet users as of July 2019, encompassing 56 percent of the global population.
So... about 30 million people use Firefox? Probably not; probably a large portion of "active internet users" today are using phones rather than desktops/laptops. But still. It's not like we're talking a few dozen users here.

At any rate: I use Chrome, not Firefox and I still sometimes have to switch to Edge to make car insurance or utility payments. The blame should go squarely on the website developers for not building compatible pages.

I use FF on Android phone and Android pad as well as winders. Has been 7 years since final farewells to "The Computer For the Rest Of U$" but unless elderly memory is malfunctioning I mostly used FF on MacOS as well.

foosnark wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:56 pm At any rate: I use Chrome, not Firefox and I still sometimes have to switch to Edge to make car insurance or utility payments. The blame should go squarely on the website developers for not building compatible pages.
I'm stopping by once more to sound like a broken record, but if Firefox deliberately prevents user account logins, how is the website supposed to make that "compatible"? It's like saying you like to buy flotation tubes from Amazon, but Amazon likes to punch holes in them once they have them in the warehouse, so if you buy from Amazon your flotation tubes are going to have holes and will never inflate. Then you say that flotation tube manufacturers should make their devices "compatible" with Amazon's desire to punch holes in them. I'm saying, how about they stop punching holes in them?

There's nothing to be made compatible about the way Firefox randomly cripples website user accounts. Cookies are 100% needed to register that you logged in. This is how the internet/websites work. You disable cookies, no log in for you. Simple as that.

jochicago wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:29 pm There's nothing to be made compatible about the way Firefox randomly cripples website user accounts. Cookies are 100% needed to register that you logged in. This is how the internet/websites work. You disable cookies, no log in for you. Simple as that.
In the FF privacy options page I block everything except that the cookies menu item reads "(block) All third-party cookies (May cause websites to break)" Also it dumps ALL cached data on FF exit.

The sites I visit seem to work OK when blocking everything except for allowing a subset of cookies. Blocking all cookies would likely be problematic for medical, financial or shopping sites. Anecdotal evidence is not useful for consolation of folks who want to visit sites which break. Luckily I don't seem to hit many of those. Can't think of one at the moment, so whichever ones maybe I don't visit because they break, must not have been much of a loss or I would remember it. :)

Return to “Effects”