Favorite 80's kits from Battery?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
DevonB
KVRAF
7775 posts since 24 Feb, 2003 from Earth, USA

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am

Pulled up Battery 4 for the first time in a long time. Was wondering what are your favorite kits for 80's inspired music that you like to use? Any recommendations among the tons of kits available?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

chk071
KVRAF
22455 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Favorite 80's kits from Battery?

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:02 am

Good question, i'm interested too. :) 80's and 90's.

Etienne1973
KVRian
548 posts since 8 Feb, 2013 from Switzerland

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:28 am

What music genre do you guys looking for?

DevonB
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:24 pm

Synthwave.
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

matamoris
KVRist
61 posts since 20 Sep, 2004

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:26 pm

I’m fond of the Zenhiser 80s drum samples.

http://www.zenhiser.com/genre/80s-sampl ... ounds.html

DevonB
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:48 am

Actually I was hoping there was something within the hundreds of kits already there in Battery 4. There's got to be a few. Not sure I have the patience to go through them all.

psynical
KVRist
127 posts since 16 Jan, 2019 from Portland, Oregon

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:27 pm

DevonB wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:48 am
Actually I was hoping there was something within the hundreds of kits already there in Battery 4. There's got to be a few. Not sure I have the patience to go through them all.
Huh? How else are you going to learn what you have if you don't bother to listen?

DevonB
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:32 pm

psynical wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:27 pm
DevonB wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:48 am
Huh? How else are you going to learn what you have if you don't bother to listen?
I was asking for people's favorites. Not sure why you chose to give a snarky answer for a simple question?

Devon

noiseboyuk
KVRAF
2937 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am

As discussed in a different thread, the 80s is a hugely diverse area, where 1980 sounded utterly different to 1989. In general look at the analogue drum kit section - 606, 707 & 727, 808, 909, DMX, Drumtrax, Linn Drum etc are there as specific kits built round some of the most iconic drum machines. There are some in there that are more general 80s - Bottle Poppin, Miami Vice etc. There's a few important kits missing imo, the CR-78 (nothing says 1980 more than that), the DR-55 etc, but there are third party libraries available that cover the missing bits and pieces, and some of these in more depth. The Linn is one that could be made to sound so different from the factory defaults that some really iconic sounds are totally missing from the Battery library (that very tuned-down rim shot that Prince made his own, for example).

Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

JJ_Jettflow
KVRian
878 posts since 23 Jan, 2011

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:26 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am

Incidentally, this categorisation of "analogue drum kit" is a bit bizarre. Again, the Linn Drum was famously based on samples so that makes it Digital in my book, so was the 707 & 727 (the poor mans' Linn). More fundamentally, the term "analogue drum kit" sounds to me like, well, a drum kit. You know, the physical drums on stands and everything. Anyway, the way NI use it here seems to mean "early era electronic drum kits", so that's your broad starting point.
I believe that Linn Drum and other drum machines from that time are considered analogue for the fact that while the sound sources were digital samples, the rest of the machine was made of analogue circuitry.

A real drum kit would be considered "acoustic" rather than "analogue" since the terms analogue and digital refer to electronic design. A musical instrument can be thought of as acoustic, electric or electronic.

EdSfer
KVRist
79 posts since 27 Aug, 2015 from Paris, France

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 am

DevonB wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:57 am
Pulled up Battery 4 for the first time in a long time. Was wondering what are your favorite kits for 80's inspired music that you like to use? Any recommendations among the tons of kits available?

Devon
When I use Battery 4 (which is not often i have to admit), Disco Neu Kit is my go-to for synthwave/80's. LinnDrum Kit is ok too.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

chk071
KVRAF
22455 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:51 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am
As discussed in a different thread, the 80s is a hugely diverse area, where 1980 sounded utterly different to 1989. In general look at the analogue drum kit section - 606, 707 & 727, 808, 909, DMX, Drumtrax, Linn Drum etc are there as specific kits built round some of the most iconic drum machines. There are some in there that are more general 80s - Bottle Poppin, Miami Vice etc. There's a few important kits missing imo, the CR-78 (nothing says 1980 more than that), the DR-55 etc, but there are third party libraries available that cover the missing bits and pieces, and some of these in more depth. The Linn is one that could be made to sound so different from the factory defaults that some really iconic sounds are totally missing from the Battery library (that very tuned-down rim shot that Prince made his own, for example).

:tu:

Now at least i have a starting point to know what i should look for. :)

telecode
KVRAF
1521 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:59 am

I think for 90s sounding stuff, look at Korg Electribe type sounds.

https://electribrary.electribers.com/el ... tory--korg

Teksonik
KVRAF
12971 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:04 am

To me nothing says 80's Drums more than the Roland R-5 and R-8. Although I never power it up any more I still have my R-5 and have thought of sampling it but there are already a ton of R-5 samples out there so I don't see the point.

I don't know if Battery has any R-5/8 samples in its factory content but look for Phil Collins or Genesis as key words to get that iconic 80's Gated drum sound. :tu:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/503 ... 980s-music
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

DevonB
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:19 am

Thanks guys! I did find the Linndrum kit, which sounded nice. I also checked out BottlePoppin and MiamiVice as well, which was ok. I will check out Disco Neu kit as I haven't looked at that one yet.

Did find it strange that I wasn't seeing all the classic Roland drum machines in there, for sure.

Devon

Return to “Instruments”