Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see Soundspot have released their first expansion for Union (Leads) on Pluginboutique.
Sounds pretty good. Still liking Union here.

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:43 pm What, a bunch of cut-down stuff that's designed to sell their big, expensive products? Mostly single oscillator, single filter synths with very few features. Even Tyrell N6, which I quite like, can't hold a candle to Union. They make an interesting comparison, because they are limited in different ways, but ultimately Union has them all covered, easily. So what else you got? Synth 1?
There's Atlantis for instance, fully free monster of a synth that sounds quite a lot better than union...
For a few bucks you can have Fathom Synth with CM magazine, it is the full commercial version minus only a few of the 22 filters...can't even compare it to union...also ThornCM is included in those few bucks which also sounds like a level above union...if you take a look at Dexed, it also sounds a bit more evolved imo than union...it has all velocity controls needed for instance...

That's just from the top of my head. There are literally tons of free and 'almost' free synths out there to be had, that can top union in different ways...BUT, it is all very subjective to begin with and depends on what 'you' expect and desire from a synth. What may be crap to me could be golden for you and vice versa.

<3

Magazineware doesn't count, it's not technically free. Never heard of Atlantis. Lots of features but the GUI is horrible. Is there anywhere you can hear it in action? The dev's website looks straight out of 1995.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ENV1 made a nice skin for Atlantis
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

From SounsSpot email:

Since the release of Union few weeks back, we've received an amazing amount of support for the instrument, but as with all new synth releases, we've received suggestions from customers on how we can make it even better.

Well you guys spoke and we listened, so we're happy to announce that some of the main features you guys have requested have now been made a reality.

The first update will include:

Portamento/Always
Glide Amount
Glide Modulation
Velocity Mix
Velocity Modulation
Wavetable Import/Export (Compatible with Serum)
Preset Manager CPU Optimization

The first FREE update will be available on Saturday 23rd of November!

WOW! That's great news. Velocity is the thing that's been holding me back on Union.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah amped for this update!
Ableton Live 10, Korg Monologue. Various vst's and effects

Union free update available now! Testing...

JohnNoizz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 am Union free update available now! Testing...
Downloadable from here.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

The update resolved the cpu usage problem for my setup. Good work Soundspot.

tonedef71 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:04 am
JohnNoizz wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:52 am Union free update available now! Testing...
Downloadable from here.
Windoze link above. Would be nice when posting a link if you also specify the platform so others don't waste time. thanks!

plexuss wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:21 pm
Downloadable from here.
Windoze link above. Would be nice when posting a link if you also specify the platform so others don't waste time. thanks!
Yeah you wasted prob a minute. Poor you. :roll:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

plexuss wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:21 pm
Downloadable from here.
Here is the Mac link.

As a Windows user, I can relate to the frustration. When I click the update link for an updated plugin from Plugin Boutique, it always downloads the Mac version despite the fact that I have never downloaded the Mac version of the plugin. :dog: For me, the update link never works the way it claims to work:
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

So I tried the update since I was curious how they'd implement the extra modulation without impeding the quick workflow. Turns out velocity isn't a full modulation source, it's normalized to the amplitude envelope amount. So you can't apply velocity to anything else, like filter cutoff, or have it affect the 3 oscillators differently. Interestingly, the velocity can be modulated by any of the 4 global LFOs.

Legato glide time can also be modulated by the global LFOs, and the UI for that is intuitive to use.

Wavetable import is kind of interesting. It's done in Oscillator 3 only and replaces the Union of 1 and 2. No drag and drop, gotta use the native file browser. You choose a file for the left and another for the right, they are hard panned accordingly. If you want mono you could load the same file, or if you're using two different files, turn M/S all the way left. But you effectively get a 4th oscillator that shares the same modulation with the 3rd. The wavetable index scanning, however, can be unlinked, though there is only 1 LFO so if you want looping scanning the rate will be the same. But this opens up possibilities like using an envelope for an initial blow wavetable and the LFO for a sustained breath wavetable.

Very cool and important update and I think the velocity implementation is a proper compromise. Adding it as an additional modulation source to everything would wreck the workflow. The wavetable import opens up the possibilities tremendously. I was able to create several great sounding patches effortlessly. Still not for me, I've already got synths that cover that role, but I will now recommend this at this introductory price to anyone on a budget.

I don't think it's at the level of something like Synthmaster One but no one else is battling it out at this low pricepoint except maybe WA Productions Babylon and the AIR synths on discount. Union is all about quick workflow to get good results. Babylon's got more power and flexibility at the cost of complexity, so I don't think they can be compared. Really good times for people on a budget between these and other developers like Audio Assault and free synths like Surge.

Still not proper legato playback, or maybe its mono legato ..
This is already kind of a frustrating vst synth.
I thought i still had version 1 installed.
Still very affordable, and Soundspot responded to my email about legato playback.
play one voice in mono or legato and then you can play keys without one stopping.
But pormento slide is cool too, just not what i was hoping for.
Ableton Live 10, Korg Monologue. Various vst's and effects

Return to “Instruments”