Icarus or Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Icarus as well Diva, Repro and Bazille, but not Hive. Hive just never interested me, possibly because I'm not that into wavetable synths beyond the few that I have with basic WT capabilities (Massive, Viper, Omnisphere, Harmor). Icarus grabbed my attention because not only does it have the deep wavetable editing, but also resynthesis and vodocer type functions. I do also think there is a Tone2 sound and while I don't need multiple of their synths, I like to have one and Icarus seems to be the most well rounded (I've had gladiator and Electra in the past). I always get usable results from them. Excellent filters, huge variety of them and not just your standard types. Good effects and so on. That was my reasoning for having Icarus (once V2 was announced I bought it).

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:49 pm
JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:36 am I can't respond all in the best way right now, but you're very wrong in a lot of aspects, to be honest I don't like most of Icarus presets and I don't even use any of them (You absolutely never shouldn't never judge a synth based on presets or demos), and I never judge a synth based in demos (very often I don't like most of the them). But the sound is very very good for me, I think that all of this fuss about "the sound" is very subjective and you shouldn't jump in over-generalizations about a product.

Is like the previous overhyped massive X, people talking about the sound in an exaggerated way only to say something good about a half baked product release and saying the other products sounds "thin", it was ridiculous.
He is wrong that his opinion doesnt meet yours? well you are right his opinion doesnt sound the same as yours, but your opinion is just an opinion, so it shouldnt matter for others to have their opinions to meet yours :lol:
I'm talking about real specifications and Facts, no Subjective (Often Biased) opinions.

I'm sorry if maybe I offended you a little bit saying something you don't like; all good I hope. :hug:

With all respect.

JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm
JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:36 am I can't respond all in the best way right now, but you're very wrong in a lot of aspects, to be honest I don't like most of Icarus presets and I don't even use any of them (You absolutely never shouldn't never judge a synth based on presets or demos), and I never judge a synth based in demos (very often I don't like most of the them). But the sound is very very good for me, I think that all of this fuss about "the sound" is very subjective and you shouldn't jump in over-generalizations about a product.

Is like the previous overhyped massive X, people talking about the sound in an exaggerated way only to say something good about a half baked product release and saying the other products sounds "thin", it was ridiculous.
He is wrong that his opinion doesnt meet yours? well you are right his opinion doesnt sound the same as yours, but your opinion is just an opinion, so it shouldnt matter for others to have their opinions to meet yours :lol:
I'm talking about real specifications and Facts, no Subjective (Often Biased) opinions.

I'm sorry if maybe I offended you a little bit saying something you don't like; all good I hope. :hug:

With all respect.
No you didnt offended me at all is good, i just dont think you differentiate opinions from facts and now i find that even more amusing :D sorry but the bolded phrases from your sentances are not facts :lol:

but as i said no worries, man, its just amusing to see that, thats it :)

Oh, this sounds awesome :tu:
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 pm I do also think there is a Tone2 sound and while I don't need multiple of their synths, I like to have one and Icarus seems to be the most well rounded
This totally makes sense.

Well, i was gravitating towards Hive when I started this thread but now Icarus seems to win. Will wait for v.2 and meanwhile will spend more time with the current demo (it was really stupid of me to miss that detune knob :oops: )
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:41 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 pm I do also think there is a Tone2 sound and while I don't need multiple of their synths, I like to have one and Icarus seems to be the most well rounded

Well, i was gravitating towards Hive when I started this thread but now Icarus seems to win. Will wait for v.2 and meanwhile will spend more time with the current demo (it was really stupid of me to miss that detune knob :oops: )
No no Recursive one, I think that sometimes in our lives we commit mistakes or don't know something and you're being smart recognizing something new, the same as me and everyone, we are humans (I think).

Is not like Electronisch that now is trying to cherry pick something or seek something because I said something (perhaps Very offensive?) for him.

All good.
Last edited by JunSev on Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whilst you are waiting have a go with Rapid (just had a nice update top 1.7) and Avenger (just about top be updated to 1.5) as well, both relay capable with WT but also add a lot more. Both will probably be on sale soon (Black Friday!) so now is a good time to try stuff!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm
JunSev wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:31 pm

With all respect.
No you didnt offended me at all is good, i just dont think you differentiate opinions from facts and now i find that even more amusing :D sorry but the bolded phrases from your sentances are not facts :lol:

but as i said no worries, man, its just amusing to see that, thats it :)
Hope all is good Elektronisch. :hug:

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:54 pm Whilst you are waiting have a go with Rapid (just had a nice update top 1.7) and Avenger (just about top be updated to 1.5) as well, both relay capable with WT but also add a lot more. Both will probably be on sale soon (Black Friday!) so now is a good time to try stuff!
I have Rapid, one of my to-go synths. 1.7 update was very cool. :tu:

I don't find Avenger any appealing. Not mad about the sound, nor about the features - in this case, too much of everything. I like synths that offer deep editing possibilities but tend to avoid synths that try to do everything imaginable.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:54 pm Whilst you are waiting have a go with Rapid (just had a nice update top 1.7) and Avenger (just about top be updated to 1.5) as well, both relay capable with WT but also add a lot more. Both will probably be on sale soon (Black Friday!) so now is a good time to try stuff!
I have Rapid, one of my to-go synths. 1.7 update was very cool. :tu:

I don't find Avenger any appealing. Not mad about the sound, nor about the features - in this case, too much of everything. I like synths that offer deep editing possibilities but tend to avoid synths that try to do everything imaginable.
I dont think Avenger is trying to do everything imaginable (unless maybe with upcoming multisample support), it might seem so because of how GUI is cluttered with stuff wheres in most of synths there are tabs for that to not have much of clutter.

As example Dune 3 is a very very deep and complex synth, but at the first sight it doesnt look that at all because you see all the main elements presented at you Oscillators, Filters, Envelopes, Unison, thats it.

Now Avenger: first look, you have everything presented (overwhelming, where to start right? :D ) :hihi:

tasty tatsyn wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm
focusrite wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm
Icarus cons:
- Very restricted unison, it seems to have only few preset unison modes with no adjustable detune or stereo spread
Detune knob?

Modes:
Stereo
Mono Hypersaw 3,5,7,9, Supersaw
Stereo Hypersaw 4,6,8,10
Unison 2x 4x , 4x Stereo
yes, detune knob is for voice pan, fine knob does the dettuning
*one thing about Icarus is somethings have diferent functions according to modes/filters/etc selected
Yep forgot about that.

Also that the mod matrix has a load of hidden targets & xtra modulators

Not that my opinion means anything at all (because it doesn't) here goes.

Recursive, I think what you don't like about Icarus is what I call that Tone 2 "plastic glaze" that their synths seem to have. I can tell a Tone 2 synth a mile away. Now, I love that glaze but some people don't. As for the synth itself, it is very deep with what it can do. Personally, I love it. I don't use it nearly as much as I should because I have too many synths.

As for Hive, I never really gelled with it. I even put off buying it for a long time. Finally, when I needed money and had to sell off a few synths to raise it, Hive was one of the ones I sold. Not so much because I didn't like the sound but because it didn't give me anything that other synths I owned already gave me, and more. Again, this simply comes from owning too many synths.

Ultimately, none of this matters. I think you've already made your decision. If Icarus is that cheeseburger that you wish you didn't eat a half hour later, then don't eat it. It's really that simple.

Finally, I get a kick out of people who tell other people that their opinions are wrong.

If you want a perfect natural, but still powerful sound quality, then Hive. Tone2 sounds fuzzy and plasticly. I don't know what sort of internal processing they are adding to their synths.

it would be great if, the words 'in my opinion' were automatically inserted before every post; so tiresome, people posting their opinions as if they were 'facts'. :roll:

:) thank you ;)

i must say the wave file sounds significantly better and more detailed but soundcloud........ :?: :!:

also the preset demo 1st section needed a bit more attack if to get closer to the emulated thing but that wasn't the purpose.. just trying to show unison and FM
*(side note) you can also have FM without hearing the modulating OSC

fisherKing wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:42 pm it would be great if, the words 'in my opinion' were automatically inserted before every post; so tiresome, people posting their opinions as if they were 'facts'. :roll:
in my opinion

Thats a fact

Return to “Instruments”