Scaler midi bind not working as I expected

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
fairlyclose
KVRist
228 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:07 pm

midi bind looks useful in Scaler but it is mising some note > chord mappings. I have a note sequence feeding in to Scaler
A, Bb, C , Gb, G, E

and Scaler has found some chords for that,. However it does not play those chords when I Input that sequence. Instead it treats the Bb and Gb as unisons - even though they are withing the Bind Midi part of the keyboard and have associate chords
Any ideas on how to solve this?

EDIT - looks like Scaler only recognises "the white keys" when it is taking input to play chords. That can't possibly be true but that is what is happening here. Must be a setting I am missing

WatchTheGuitar
KVRist
193 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Re: Scaler midi bind not working as I expected

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am

I'm at work and can't test this out, but could it be mapped as if it's a C major scale so to get the first chord A play a C, Bb major chord play a D on the keyboard etc. ?

A lot of chord mapping programs do it that way for some reason - I guess because everyone knows C major scale.

fairlyclose
KVRist
228 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: Scaler midi bind not working as I expected

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am
I'm at work and can't test this out, but could it be mapped as if it's a C major scale so to get the first chord A play a C, Bb major chord play a D on the keyboard etc. ?

A lot of chord mapping programs do it that way for some reason - I guess because everyone knows C major scale.
thanks - yes it might be that, I will have another look.

EDIT: yes that is exactly how it works - not a design decision i like , I would rather the root of the chord. Apparently there is a new version coming out

WatchTheGuitar
KVRist
193 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Re: Scaler midi bind not working as I expected

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 pm

fairlyclose wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am
I'm at work and can't test this out, but could it be mapped as if it's a C major scale so to get the first chord A play a C, Bb major chord play a D on the keyboard etc. ?

A lot of chord mapping programs do it that way for some reason - I guess because everyone knows C major scale.
thanks - yes it might be that, I will have another look.

EDIT: yes that is exactly how it works - not a design decision i like , I would rather the root of the chord. Apparently there is a new version coming out
If you think about it in keyswitch terms rather than pure note terms it makes more sense.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that a function aimed mainly at non keyboard players would have a consistent keyswitch triggering mechanism no matter what key you're in.

I guess an option to change functionality between the C major style keyswitching and 'true scale' keyswitching wouldn't hurt though.

fairlyclose
KVRist
228 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Re: Scaler midi bind not working as I expected

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:09 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:58 pm
fairlyclose wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:43 am
I'm at work and can't test this out, but could it be mapped as if it's a C major scale so to get the first chord A play a C, Bb major chord play a D on the keyboard etc. ?

A lot of chord mapping programs do it that way for some reason - I guess because everyone knows C major scale.
thanks - yes it might be that, I will have another look.

EDIT: yes that is exactly how it works - not a design decision i like , I would rather the root of the chord. Apparently there is a new version coming out
If you think about it in keyswitch terms rather than pure note terms it makes more sense.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that a function aimed mainly at non keyboard players would have a consistent keyswitch triggering mechanism no matter what key you're in.

I guess an option to change functionality between the C major style keyswitching and 'true scale' keyswitching wouldn't hurt though.
I understand your point - I see why they have done it I just think it an unnecessary psuedo-simplification, psuedo because it introduces a disjuntion between the visual representation of the chord names and the keyboard note names. Non keyboard players have no troube triggering much more complex and quite arbitrary mappings on pad/grid controllers all the time. 12 notes on a keyboard is easier again, perhaps even when thought of as a keyswitch. And has the advantage of consistency. Anyway, that is not what they have made and lots of people like Scaler :)

Return to “Effects”