can you change the key of a specific chord?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hink wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:45 pm apologies Caine123 for the temp lock, this thread is not about any member so I hope the hint gets taken (a lot of posts gone)...any ot posts, any name calling, it's deleted and there could be further action. This going on in one thread is bad enough, but carrying it over to two is just completely out of line.
Thx for the info i hope i wasnt against some rules or i missed what happened there.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

no you're fine :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Caine123 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:00 am So far i learned some chords and stayed in 1 key and it worked so far! Still i think i miss something cause it sounds too boring with less emotional movement.
That’s to be expected though - you start simple then build on the knowledge you have gained.

If it sounds boring but you can explain why it’s boring then you learned a good lesson. As you learn more you will be able to give your music a lot more color, and will be able to analyze it and determine what might push it in the direction you want it to go.

Thx man. Next i try e.g. a 2-3 chord progression e.g. eminor scale and see how my song changes from the feeling. I might post a concepttrack

It seems im the trap genre most stay jut in 1 scale 3-4 minutes but e.g. in synthwave there is more happening
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

lot of trap that I hear sits there on like two chords, a minor feel. Get two chords going, E minor and D major and E Dorian mode and just meander; find out about that F# against the Em and then how it agrees with D; hold notes over the change, take notes mentally regarding what you found.

Here's Keith Jarrett with two chords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqK1JJOFxw
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Hint, guitar is useful for learning a bit about voicing if you transfer the voicing of common guitar chords to keyboard. I'd recommend to anybody starting out, to get a cheap guitar and learn some chords.

Also, once you are playing a chord on a guitar, try playing the notes of the chord individually. People can disagree all they want but this is a nice introduction to melody and it's far easier than the same exercise on a keyboard.

Basically there are only major and minor chords.

C Major
C E G B D F A C, Maj7, Maj9, Maj11,Maj13
C E G A, Maj6 (C6)
C E G A D, Maj6/9 (C6/9)
-
C Major septime etc.
C E G Bb D F A, C7, C9, C11, C13
-
A Minor
A C E basically the same

excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm Basically there are only major and minor chords
:?:

Diminished? Augmented?

:lol:

Typical

excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm Basically there are only major and minor chords.

C Major
C E G B D F A C, Maj7, Maj9, Maj11,Maj13
C E G A, Maj6 (C6)
C E G A D, Maj6/9 (C6/9)
-
C Major septime etc.
C E G Bb D F A, C7, C9, C11, C13
-
A Minor
A C E basically the same
I think if you limit yourself to just those you limit your own palette of what emotive sounds you can trigger from your music. But I guess it all really depends on what type of music you are making or what you want to make.

I personally find I like all those jazzy 11th and augmented chords played on big synth pads -- but that's just me and my own taste.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

of course, There's an App for That: Scale Suggestor ($1.99 in the App Store) by kvr member Valli Software. Just tap the chord on its keyboard (or drop a midi file) and hit Find to get a text file with the name, intervals and key of the many scales that include those chord notes. https://www.kvraudio.com/news/valli-sof ... os-x-28631
and
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scale-sug ... 9432?mt=12
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:31 pm of course, There's an App for That: Scale Suggestor ($1.99 in the App Store) by kvr member Valli Software. Just tap the chord on its keyboard (or drop a midi file) and hit Find to get a text file with the name, intervals and key of the many scales that include those chord notes. https://www.kvraudio.com/news/valli-sof ... os-x-28631
and
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scale-sug ... 9432?mt=12
Cool. I was considering getting the Scaler VST but decided against it. I realized I don't really need a software tool that suggests chords and scales to me. What I need is a tool that can help me figure out what fuggin scale and progression I am actually working in.

Currently am using Cubase Pro's score editor functionality more and more. It is revealing to me that I use a lot of suspended chords and 11th chords in my playing. I never even knew there was such a thing as a G#min sus4/7/11. I am starting wonder if that score editor might be buggy and wrong sometimes.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Forgotten wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:20 pm
excuse me please wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm Basically there are only major and minor chords
:?:

Diminished? Augmented?
fake news.

Here is a Moon River arrangement with all the chords in all the keys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4-URyWEJQ
It was only streamed yesterday but its now my favourite tutorial... :singer:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “Music Theory”