Oh the temptation... Arturia.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jdoo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm "My Arturia" page is broken, for ordering the upgrade
It’s also broken for getting the $199 deal. I ordered it yesterday and it just sat there with the order in a “pending” status. Mid morning today the order disappeared without trace.

I contacted their support yesterday and they said they would fix it, but all I have seen so far is the order disappear.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pmThere is something in the frequencies that I find unpleasant in many of them. I would say the sound is usually weak. There's a lot of ways I could attempt to describe it, but if I just load up Repro, Legend, Oddity, impOscar, Diva, OPX-Pro, Tal Uno or 101, Korg Oddyssey, Monark and Blocks, Rob Papen or a whole list of other ones, in comparison, most Arturia synths seem to be missing something in the sound. Just my opinion of course.
Which seems heavily biased by a certain expectation that I don't have. If I was going to offer alternatives that have something the Arturia synths lack, I'd be using examples like DUNE, Hive, Aparillo or Thorn, each of which I find far more useful than the RePros, Legend, Korg Odyssey or Monark (they are the ones on your list I have). The idea of something being an emulation seems to set a certain expectation in your head that needs to be met, where I just want stuff that sounds good.
... some of the models are just interesting in a historic sense.
I cannot think of anything less important/relevant to me. I was fascinated that some people were all over Trueno because the filter was supposedly modeled off a Polyvoks but all that interested me was that it sounds great. I'd never even heard of a Polyvoks before that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pmThere is something in the frequencies that I find unpleasant in many of them. I would say the sound is usually weak. There's a lot of ways I could attempt to describe it, but if I just load up Repro, Legend, Oddity, impOscar, Diva, OPX-Pro, Tal Uno or 101, Korg Oddyssey, Monark and Blocks, Rob Papen or a whole list of other ones, in comparison, most Arturia synths seem to be missing something in the sound. Just my opinion of course.
Which seems heavily biased by a certain expectation that I don't have. If I was going to offer alternatives that have something the Arturia synths lack, I'd be using examples like DUNE, Hive, Aparillo or Thorn, each of which I find far more useful than the RePros, Legend, Korg Odyssey or Monark (they are the ones on your list I have). The idea of something being an emulation seems to set a certain expectation in your head that needs to be met, where I just want stuff that sounds good.
Kind of but not quite. While I do appreciate accuracy of sounding analog for those are attempting it, it is also a simple case of "do I like the sound?". For most of these the answer is no. The ARP2600 is a case where actually I've always kind of liked the sound but not for any of the types of sounds the original was famous for. I think it does some decent pads and light fluffy ambient stuff. I don't care that it isn't that authentic. Similarly there are a couple of presets on the Jupiter I like that sound nothing like a real jupiter. But there's too much non-sweet spot range in there.
BONES wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:09 pm
... some of the models are just interesting in a historic sense.
I cannot think of anything less important/relevant to me. I was fascinated that some people were all over Trueno because the filter was supposedly modeled off a Polyvoks but all that interested me was that it sounds great. I'd never even heard of a Polyvoks before that.
Fair enough, I understand that. But I think the classic designs are interesting because synthesis is interesting and they took different approaches in the past as they had limitations that don't really exist in software. For example knob cost money, so many vintage classics tried to do as much as possible with the fewest knobs, which often times created a nice workflow as you could get a number of sounds without having to know too many different functions.

BONES wrote: The idea of something being an emulation seems to set a certain expectation in your head that needs to be met,
You mean like the emulation actually sounding like whatever it is emulating? :hihi:

(Nah, just pulling your leg.)

BONES wrote:where I just want stuff that sounds good.
I would lie if i said that i dont like accuracy in emulations as much as the next guy, but at the end of the day 'sounds good' is good enough for me too. And Arturia synths are definitely capable of good, even very good sounds. Even the older versions from over a decade ago, no matter what anyone says.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pmBut I think the classic designs are interesting because synthesis is interesting and they took different approaches in the past as they had limitations that don't really exist in software. For example knob cost money, so many vintage classics tried to do as much as possible with the fewest knobs, which often times created a nice workflow as you could get a number of sounds without having to know too many different functions.
I think that's something that has come into its own more recently. e.g. The clever way IK have done detuning in Uno - off centre you get cents but after a certain point it changes to semitones - or the way you can morph the oscillator shapes from one to the next. I don't recall there being too much of that kind of thing back in the day.

TBH, I don't find synthesis interesting in and of itself. Synths are merely tools in service of a greater purpose. I have no more interest in their history than I do in the history of spanners.
ENV1 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 pmYou mean like the emulation actually sounding like whatever it is emulating? :hihi:
Yes, exactly. Why would it matter, as long as it sounds good? It's like expecting a cover version to sound exactly like the original song. Wouldn't you rather have a unique interpretation of the original than a slavish recreation?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Funny discussion. We will ask Behringer to make the clones sound exactly like the Arturia soft synths and all problems are solved :-)

Behringer Pro-1 sounds exactly like U-he RePro-1 :hyper:

And BTW RePro sound exactly like real synth, unlike say Arturia's SEM. For just good sounds "emulation" "copied from analog" "other branding bs" etc are just not needed.
Murderous duck!

Been giving the Buchla a fair shot today. Just mediocre, like the other VAs. Sounds ok but then I pull up Reaktor Blocks Primes with some Buchla type stuff and go "Oh yeah that's better". Or the free AaltoCM even. Too bad. Fun interface.

But what about a real Buchla? Maybe that's not worth having, either? (You certainly couldn't give me one.)

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 am But what about a real Buchla? Maybe that's not worth having, either? (You certainly couldn't give me one.)
You’re making it difficult to shop for Christmas gifts for you. :x
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

It's something I am well known for.

199 EUR (for me) for a dozen high quality instruments that all sound very good is not a bad deal. Accurate emulations or not. But sure, I admit. There's a certain amount of fetishism in there. But that doesn't make it less sexy.

Do I need this stuff ?

Well, of course not !
As most of you guys I already have more then double-plus-enough.

But being a human doesn't mean one is rational all of the time. It's about being emotional too.

And so, we go to the cinema to watch some silly Avengers movie before going to the bar for a pint of four. Eventually having some junk food before going home with whatever her name was.

Rational ?

Wast of money ?

Don't know. But was probably a good time.

And sometimes, if one can afford it, it's perfectly OK to spend some money just for the feel good thing.

And so, for me - in this case, with the Arturia deal, it's more about the fetish side of it ( the idea that those emulations of famous synths somehow, and by some reason, will make me feel good ). To be absolutely honest.

Weill I take it ?

No !

Why ?

Because I spent my money on a date. Married with children. And soooo.....be careful about your choices... :-)

Return to “Instruments”