Synthmaster 2/1 vs sektor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to buy one of these synths and i am kinda confused between these ... What are the pros and cons??

I am mostly doing my worknin mpowersynth but want something for quick sound design.
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Synthmaster:constant updates,sound,presets,almost ons sale.
IF you need a quik sound desing synth go with Synthmaster one.
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Sektor claims MPE, but does not work (at least on my Mac) the devs ignore my complaints.
Synthmaster does MPE...
If you are in a 70s - 90s coverband Synthmaster it is all you need. (Especially now as those sound banks are on sale...)

SM One for quick sound design. Currently on sale for $36. One layer, easy workflow. :wink:

Two Oscillators with associated Sub Oscillators, the mixed outputs of which feed into two Filters, which in turn output to one or two envelope modulated amplifiers, followed by a series of master FX.

SynthMaster One's two stereo oscillators are capable of loading standard analogue-style waveforms, as well as sampled single-cycle waveforms and wavetables. Import user waveforms/wavetables via drag and drop.

Two zero delay feedback filters, with four types:

Ladder Filter
Modeled on the famous Moog ladder filter, with a choice of two slopes (12dB/octave and 24dB/octave) and four filter types (Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass and Bandstop).
Diode Ladder Filter
Modeled on the well-known analogue filter circuit of the Roland TB-303. Includes only one filter type: Lowpass with 24dB/octave slope
State Variable Filter
Modeled on the analogue state variable filter found in the Oberheim SEM. This one's available in four types: 12dB/octave Lowpass, 12dB/octave Highpass, Bandpass and Bandstop.
Bite Filter
Modeled on the 12dB/octave Lowpass and 6dB/octave Highpass filters of the legendary Korg MS20
synth.

Signal flow:

• In “Split” mode, Oscillator/Sub 1 outputs to Filter 1, Oscillator/Sub 2 outputs to Filter 2, and each filter outputs to its corresponding Amp Envelope (Filter 1 to Amp Env 1, Filter 2 to Amp Env 2).
• In “Parallel” mode, both Oscillator/Sub pairings are mixed, with the resulting signal sent to both Filters in parallel. Each filter outputs to its corresponding Amp Envelope (Filter 1 to Amp Env 1, Filter 2 to Amp Env 2).
• In “Series” mode, both Oscillator/Sub pairings are mixed and routed through Filter 1, then Filter 2, before outputting to Amp Envelope 1. Amp Envelope 2 is disconnected from the amplifier but remains available as an assignable modulation source.

Drag and drop modulation source assignment and mod matrix.

Nice step sequencer/arpeggiator.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I purchased a crossgrade from synthmaster one to synthmaster 2.9 now best of both worlds for a small amount of cash.
Sektor... ummmm I've got it but meh.. not in the same league as the synthmasters.

I love Synthmaster One's quick workflow and it's an excellent value, probably the best wavetable synth at that pricepoint. Then upgrade to Synthmaster for power and complexity between SM One and MPowersynth. Synthmaster is the greatest bang for buck synth IMO when it's on sale.

Sektor doesn't hold a candle to them. If you are a sound designer you'll probably be disappointed with it. If it's cheap on sale (I don't know its current price but if it's $15) and you use it as a preset machine then you may be okay with it considering how much presets cost.

I've bought Synthmaser One and Sektor them cheaply (and sold them both). Synthmaster is slightly better and sounds more clean and digital, good for EDM, Sektor is more aggressive, good for Trap. There were some bugs with both plugins, but nothing critical. They are OK plugins and are woth their price.

Pretty much anything is better than Sektor.

There is a reason Sektor is always on sale at like 90%+ off. Because it's hot garbage.

No doubt: Synthemaster!
Best
YY

The Synthmasters, no comparison.
SM 2.9 still is my #1 bread and butter synth, easily programmable, extremely versatile with ...loads of options and presets to start from, relatively easy on the CPU and I just love how it sounds. Pretty much the only thing I'm sometimes missing is a built-in granulator but that's supposed to come with SM3.

I own both. Synthmaster (no matter the flavor) is far superior, both on sound engine and interface. I actually removed Sektor from my computer. I'm sorry for Initial Audio guys, but the quality of its product is not acceptable by today's standards.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

nachenko wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am I own both. Synthmaster (no matter the flavor) is far superior, both on sound engine and interface. I actually removed Sektor from my computer. I'm sorry for Initial Audio guys, but the quality of its product is not acceptable by today's standards.
I must have yesterdays standards. I like Synthmaster. I also like Sektor. All these sound quality statements here proved to be pretty worthless to me. I am sorry. It is too subjective. I am convinced that most people, not actively doing sound design things, do not care at all about these marginal differences in synth sounds. It is more about the music and inspiration, I believe.

more years of development has gone into Synthmaster than into Sektor. Synthmaster features more sythesis types.
For me it's a big plus that synthmaster has a nori ubukata soundbank, where some presets are recreations of some famous sounds from the Tomita 'Debussy' Album: "snowflakes are dancing".

FotoxBr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am
nachenko wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:56 am I own both. Synthmaster (no matter the flavor) is far superior, both on sound engine and interface. I actually removed Sektor from my computer. I'm sorry for Initial Audio guys, but the quality of its product is not acceptable by today's standards.
I must have yesterdays standards. I like Synthmaster. I also like Sektor. All these sound quality statements here proved to be pretty worthless to me. I am sorry. It is too subjective. I am convinced that most people, not actively doing sound design things, do not care at all about these marginal differences in synth sounds. It is more about the music and inspiration, I believe.
lol "marginal differences in synth sounds"

Looks like we found an Initial Audio employee here.

X86 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:18 pm
FotoxBr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:04 am
lol "marginal differences in synth sounds"

Looks like we found an Initial Audio employee here.
Worked in chemistry. Retired now. Sound is not music.

Return to “Instruments”