Audio / video recording under Windows

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks,

I decided to pursue the career of Youtuber :wink: . However, I'm struggling to get my setup right. For now I'd like to:

- Screen capture Ableton Live (done)
- Capture my pretty face (done)
- Record audio from microphone into separate channel (with noise reduction), but do not hear my own delayed voice in headphones.
- Synchronize it all (TODO?)

For now I couldn't even route the audio from my camera anywhere, including Ableton - it's all or nothing. Do I need standalone mic or there's some option to reroute the audio from Logitech C920 cam?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If Windows sees the C902 as a mic/audio input device, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. Does it show up as one? And which version of Windows are you using?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Windows 10.

I can see it as an "input device" and "audio device" in settings panel, but not quite sure where to go from here? I can't select it anywhere in Ableton, in particular.
Logitech Webcam - audio.png
Logitech Webcam - microphone.png
Sorry for Polish version :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Which audio driver are you using, WDM or ASIO? I can't tell from the "Input 3/4...Input 1/2" screen if those are inputs in Ableton, or some other app, for example.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

^This is just default Windows settings menu, as I see in Control Panel :P

I use ASIO in Ableton, can see only physical inputs from my audio interface.
ASIO - Ableton.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Logitech doesn't show because you're using the Komplete Audio 6 as your input and output device in Ableton. You can only use one ASIO device in Windows at a time for input and output, so since you're using the Komplete, the Logitech won't be an option.

Can you try WDM or one of the other Windows drivers? You may be able to use "two" input devices (the Logitech and the Komplete Audio), while using the Komplete Audio for the output device. The latency will probably be pretty bad, though.

Steve

Okay, but how do I get any WDM drivers in first place? WDM redirects to Windows Driver Model, which is probably not what I need.

The WDM drivers are part of Windows. You should be able to choose them for your "Driver Type", right where you have ASIO now. Just try some of the others in there, to see if you get an option to use more than one input device.

Another option would be ASIO4All. I don't recommend it in general--especially if you already have ASIO drivers. But for what you're trying to do here, it should give you the option to use more than one input device. You may still have some latency issues, but it gives you a fair amount of control to tweak it so that you can minimize any problems it creates.

http://asio4all.org

Steve

Thank you.

Look like this is not going to work anyway. With built-in mic I can hear the mouse click at the same level as my own voice. Probably will need to get dedicated mic with jack out, such Tracer Studio Pro.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

I was partially successful, but only on the input side. I can record my voice in Komplete Audio 6 and route it to Ableton. However, ity only outputs to Komplete Audio 6 and I can't record it with video capture software. The latter only uses system inputs (or Realtek stereo mix, as described here: https://www.howtogeek.com/217348/how-to ... tereo-mix/).

Routing cable from output into second line in is not an option, since I need stereo.

There must to a way to route and capture everything under Windows, come on :dog:

Another option would be ASIO4All. I don't recommend it in general--especially if you already have ASIO drivers. But for what you're trying to do here, it should give you the option to use more than one input device.
I managed to make ASIO4All making inside Ableton... but only to limited extent. It seems to only allow one input / output from my interface - simply clicking an option makes it toggle one or another, but never all at once:
Asio4All.png
Also, It doesn't show as a recording source nowhere at all, so far not useful.

Update: While there's some virtual cable utility https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm it is not standardized and recording apps (new and free, at least) don't want to work with it. Despite that, setting up a chain of independent 3rd-party utilities begs for errors and is a chore to operate.

Someone on Ableton forum recommended me getting an external mixer, probably I'll have to try that...

End of story: success :party:

Free software OBS Studio has a lot of configuration options. It supports multiple input and output devices (output devices didn't work for me anywhere), multiple video sources (camera + desktop capture), multiple scene configurations and overall it's a beast. Takes some time and knowledge to set up though - not for housewives.

When it comes to input recording, Windows privacy policy forbids microphone to be accessed by applications. Turn that off before anything can be recorded through WMD.

I also got Mackie 802 mixer which allows me to route audio interface outputs back to inputs, with extra control / mix audition. I soled audio inputs so I don't hear my own voice from microphone, though it is passed to output mix.

For mic recording, ReaFir is a free noise-reduction VST effect which just works.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”