How to...inspired by physics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Came across this on Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/BetterEveryLoop/co ... ing_blown/

And I’m trying to figure out how to create some kind of effect based on this.

Off the top of my head I’m think chords, inversions, multi tap delay?

Looks neat, but the title says “A simple demo of order and chaos (and order again)” while there's nothing chaotic about it.
Methinks anyone with a proper grasp of dynamics could model this, a bunch of swings on a swing.

(Maybe even I could've done it if I still had my knowledge of dynamics & matrix calculation of 25 years ago :hihi: )

[edit]
On second view, it doesn't even appear to be a bunch of swings on a swing, just a bunch of pendulums with different lengths of rope.
So — in your favo(u)rite modular environment, set up a bunch of sine LFOs with increasing rate and assign wisely.

Melody you can do with liine lemur atleast. Input scale, root note and something else, then have a phsyical model of balls in a box doing things based on bunch of algorythms.

Converting midi to cv and including that to, f.ex. eurorack system as gate / trigger signals opens a world of possibilities. Check mutable instruments clouds, for one :D.

https://soundcloud.com/kale-kale/piano-ambient2
That piano is just liine lemur with that physical modelling thing rolling around and sending midinotes to pc with NI The giant piano, zero user input.

farlukar wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 pm Looks neat, but the title says “A simple demo of order and chaos (and order again)” while there's nothing chaotic about it.
Ditto.
Murderous duck!

Kalee wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:12 pm https://soundcloud.com/kale-kale/piano-ambient2
That piano is just liine lemur with that physical modelling thing rolling around and sending midinotes to pc with NI The giant piano, zero user input.
first... nice piece, really enjoyed that.

second... you're a bastard. you know how hard we used to have to work to put something like that together? like... all night sessions drawing up max scripts for weeks!

i imagine you could get this affect with VERY SPECIFIC large granular seeds fed through delay lines. but why make it hard on yourself when you can press play lol.

oh... just struck me that hollyhock does this kind of thing on a much bigger scale.

if you are using ableton you can just chop the sample into bits and re sequence them easy peasy, i got out of ableton about that time tho. should be easy. akufen era.

Heh yeah,

I remember the day of recording. That is literally just pressing play on the ipad after fiddling with lemur for a bit, setting the scale and notes, then improvise something with zebra 2, hold sustain pedal and improvise a bit more on electro-acoustic guitar, all on one take. It is kind of cheating :D I mean, with mixing, sound design and everything included, you could record and publish kind of cool ambient music album in maybe 4 hours. :D

i recognized that immediately. nobody is going to sequence the original sample now, but it's not about the music anymore, it's about the game. that's what they gravitate to. they WANT the easy way out, and it's available to them. i really enjoyed that piece, i heard it. the original sample, fed through the software, then played (sounds like guitar) over it. i liked it. those kids don't hang here man. this is edm territory. they want $.

^^^ by sample i mean midi clip. i understand you played the original. then let the software do work, but there is very little difference between sample, midi, or preset anymore.

In this case there wasn't even original midi clip, the piano midi notes were all software generated :D, rest was played live during recording. But yeah at that time, after doing that track, I wanted to just learn to play and put my brain in the kind of controller random mode. Nowadays, I can, to some extend atleast.

Human brain, and ability to learn playing instruments and such is far superior than anything else if one wants music to be expression of human soul or something. But yeap, it requires time, practise, and one to be borderline mentally insane to express ones imagination and inner world with music deeply:D.

Personally I just don't even want to fiddle with software synths anymore for other than maybe ambient. I got this new personal furrycap-EDM project starting, with idea where I plug hardware to analog mixer, with guitar pedals infront of synths / drum machine, or in aux send loop, record a stereo track to DAW, master it a bit and release to internet. Got an ipad software sequencer that can record unquantized midi, but its a bit buggy.

On topic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVzDnC-rsoo
I'd think that is earlier version of the lemur sequencer that I used. The one I got is ABreakpoint 2

I think it would probably sound like shiiiiiiiiit as the majority of it would sound like chaos and then would occasionally swing into congruence. Are you thinking of applying this harmonically or rythmically?

I’m VERY curious what it would sound like. How many LFO’s would you need? 10 at least, but probably closer to 20.

Yeah harmonically.

Return to “Effects”