Synth 1 gone sour

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dune_rave
KVRian
1424 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 am

I have decided to get rid of all the free stuff years ago, just because the fear of one day they will stop working.
On the other hand nowadays I have dexed, but its not the same case as synth1 and all the freeware stuff.

Caine123
KVRAF
6100 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Re: Synth 1 gone sour

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 am

FL20 and opened old synth1 projects and recently used a few instances, all is well but it concerns me to finish and render my synth1 tracks :/
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Teksonik
KVRAF
12840 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:16 am

I've received a dozen emails from developers warning people not to update to Catalina (which is what I assume you mean by "Mojave os lates") until they have a chance to update their plugins to comply with Catalina.

It's no wonder some old plugins that are no longer updated are having issues.

I'm on Win 10 here and although I don't use Synth 1 in compositions any longer I do still load it and have a play once in awhile and it's rock solid here even when playing multiple instances.

If a plugin works fine then stops functioning without the plugin being updated the only cause can be OS or DAW updates or I suppose audio drivers updates as well.

I don't remember Synth 1 installing or requiring any Redistributables....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

glokraw
KVRAF
7189 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:24 am

The redist C++ thingies are usually from the large
plugin devs, and those trying to get in on
tracking customer behavior. But surely skulduggery
has never been practiced in the music industry. :dog:

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am

Does my memory fail me or didn't Ichiro have someone else working on the Mac version ?

I assume everybody is using the latest version ? (1.13 Beta 3 on Windows)

Anyway he resurrected the website in July of this year so who knows maybe there will be work on Synth 1 in the future.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2271 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:20 am

On my win 10 p.c. , synth 1 (64 bit ) behaves stable in renoise and studio one , but crashes in loomer architect ( all 64 bit )
I reported the isssue to the developer of architect ( colin ) and this is what he found out

Essentially, Architect passes Synth1 an audio buffer into which it should render, and that audio buffer is located somewhere in 64-bit address space. Synth1, for some bizarre reason, ignores that it is a 64-bit pointer and truncates it to a 32-bit one, and ends up clobbering some other bit of memory.

As for why it works in some other hosts, I can only guess, but I would hazard that they are not using the ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomisation) security features on Windows, meaning that buffers tend to be in the 32-bit address space. There is only so much 32-bit address space though, so they're only delaying the inevitable.

I'll let the Synth1 author know and see if I can get this fixed, as I'd rather not start disabling security features to work around buggy plug-ins. (Although I have confirmed that Synth1 does indeed not crash when ASLR is turned off.)

unquote
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

samsam
KVRAF
2997 posts since 9 Dec, 2008

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 am

OP states specifically said he's on Mojave so no need to turn this into yet another unnecessary Catalina thread.

When he says 'latest' he probably means 'last' like me, 10.14.6

(of course, if he really does mean Cat then stating that would indeed make the problem point to the OS)

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:31 am

samsam wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 am
OP states specifically said he's on Mojave so no need to turn this into yet another unnecessary Catalina thread.
If you're tired of Catalina threads please contact Apple:

https://support.apple.com/macos

I don't own a Mac I have just seen a lot of emails from developers warning users not to update yet.

What other explanation can there be for a plugin that has run without serious issue for over a decade and a half ?

If the plugin wasn't updated but suddenly starts having issues the only logical conclusion is that an OS or DAW update is the cause.

Code doesn't rust......... :shrug:

samsam
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:33 am

I already wrote a decent reply, stop frothing up.
Last edited by samsam on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

chk071
KVRAF
22435 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 am

Don't think Synth1 ever crashed here. Although i use it very rarely.

samsam
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:36 am

Tek, we f**king know, right?
samsam wrote:

(of course, if he really does mean Cat then stating that would indeed make the problem point to the OS)

BlackWinny
KVRAF
4232 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am
Does my memory fail me or didn't Ichiro have someone else working on the Mac version ?
Yes, and sadly this other guy passed away.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 am

samsam wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:36 am
Tek, we f**king know, right?
samsam wrote:

Who is "frothing up" ? Calm down. No one is insulting you because you own a Mac. Chill. :roll:

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 am

BlackWinny wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:38 am
Teksonik wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am
Yes, and sadly this other guy passed away.
Ahh thanks. I thought I remembered he had help with the Mac version. I didn't remember his partner passed away. Sad. :(

Teksonik
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:26 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:35 am
Don't think Synth1 ever crashed here. Although i use it very rarely.
I don't remember it ever crashing here in all the years from WinXP all the way to Win 10 from 32 to 64 bit.

It has always been some of the tightest code ever released at least from that time period.

I seem to remember there was a bug with LFO sync or something but I don't think I ever encountered it here.

I don't use Synth 1 for composing these days since I've got other plugins I prefer now but it's still fun to layer up four or five instances, have a play, and watch the CPU meter not even budge. Synth 1 still has it's own unique character love it or hate it........ :tu:

Return to “Instruments”