Icarus or Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 am I too own Dune 3 and I find Hive 2 to be an indispensable tool and perfect complement to D3. :tu:

By the way you can use Dune 3 to create Wavetables for Hive 2. :)
Ditto. Was working on a track and had a nice bassline from Dune3. Had a sound in my head and needed to make it ASAP before idea left the noggin. “Let me make this house stab right quick” and loaded up Hive2. Im a Uhe fanboy so take it with a grain of salt but Hive is wicked. To be fair, any modern synth is more than capable of most things but differ in workflow and some workflow suits some people, and not others. Just buy whatever synth you click with.

tasty tatsyn wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:14 am this may feel like self promotion.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9i6EkxSFKQ
Nice reverb.
focusrite wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:52 pm As good as any
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXNa70ea_iQ&t=3s
It's not Hive territory anymore, but that's super. I'm definitely going to research more it looks like nice source of effects.
Unfortunately there is no way to edit wavetables visually or drag and drop wav for reanalysis in Hive 2. :(
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Unfortunately there is no way to edit wavetables visually or drag and drop wav for reanalysis in Hive 2. :(
Editing wave tables to customize them is a bit over rated. Not saying it isnt handy, but it doesnt fit the Hive schema in my opinion. The provided wavetables all sound fantastic, and each table has different positions. Two wavetables add more complexity. Hive is aimed at fast and good results with no fuss. Well that's how I look at it. If I want something more hands on as far as wavetables, Zebra2 comes in.

Butwug wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 pm Editing wave tables to customize them is a bit over rated.
I'm using spectral editor in Operator and it's very handy feature. I would be really happy if it has multipoint morph.
So may be it's overrated for you but not for others.
Butwug wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 pm Two wavetables add more complexity. Hive is aimed at fast and good results with no fuss. Well that's how I look at it.
Also paradigms are shifting. There were no WTs at all in Hive 1.0 but look where we are now.
Drag and drop wav's loading (doesn't work in Z2) and multipoint spectral WT editing (works in Z2, editor is not good) may fit Hive 2 well.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am
Butwug wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 pm Editing wave tables to customize them is a bit over rated.
I'm using spectral editor in Operator and it's very handy feature. I would be really happy if it has multipoint morph.
So may be it's overrated for you but not for others.
Butwug wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:18 pm Two wavetables add more complexity. Hive is aimed at fast and good results with no fuss. Well that's how I look at it.
Also paradigms are shifting. There were no WTs at all in Hive 1.0 but look where we are now.
Drag and drop wav's loading (doesn't work in Z2) and multipoint spectral WT editing (works in Z2, editor is not good) may fit Hive 2 well.
As stated, not saying it isnt handy, but it is a bit overrated, for what Hive2 aims to be (IMO). The quality is amazing as far as wavetables go in Hive2. It would be hard to find a wavetable that sounds bad on there. Wavetable addition to Hive was a simple one in terms of usability but with enough customization for it to be deep enough to make good patches. But asking for more in a synth never hurts :D

Butwug wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:07 pm
david.beholder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:07 am As stated, not saying it isnt handy, but it is a bit overrated, for what Hive2 aims to be (IMO). The quality is amazing as far as wavetables go in Hive2. It would be hard to find a wavetable that sounds bad on there. Wavetable addition to Hive was a simple one in terms of usability but with enough customization for it to be deep enough to make good patches. But asking for more in a synth never hurts :D
It's perfectly rated. Think about modifying 2-3-4 harmonic in the bass (you don't even need filter for it) to reduce frequency clashing. Adding upper harmonics to flute to have more air etc. I'm doing it alot using serum or operator.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 pm It's perfectly rated. Think about modifying 2-3-4 harmonic in the bass (you don't even need filter for it) to reduce frequency clashing. Adding upper harmonics to flute to have more air etc. I'm doing it alot using serum or operator.
Maybe it’s just a different workflow you’re not used to? Choose the right wavetable, and go to work.

@recursive one: If you already own a u-he plugin, you can get Hive 2 now for 30% off. :)

Butwug wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm
david.beholder wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 pm It's perfectly rated. Think about modifying 2-3-4 harmonic in the bass (you don't even need filter for it) to reduce frequency clashing. Adding upper harmonics to flute to have more air etc. I'm doing it alot using serum or operator.
Maybe it’s just a different workflow you’re not used to? Choose the right wavetable, and go to work.
I really don't get this argument. Are there any advantages to not using wavetable editing and instead only using factory content as-is? No, it's just more limited and less flexible.

Wavetable editing is a whole world of very flexible additional options. I'm using wavetable editing all the time for sound design, from resynthesis and designing simple wavetables form scratch to just quickly changing the texture with modifying the wavetable a bit. Icarus is great and very flexible for this. Wouldn't want to make tracks without it anymore.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Considering you have k levels for each partial you need k^n wavetables to achieve that.
Say if you have only 20 levels for first four partials it's 20^4 => 1.6*10^5.
No thanks.
Murderous duck!

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 pm @recursive one: If you already own a u-he plugin, you can get Hive 2 now for 30% off. :)
How come?
Murderous duck!

metaside wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:13 pm
I really don't get this argument. Are there any advantages to not using wavetable editing and instead only using factory content as-is? No, it's just more limited and less flexible.
Maybe the same way people have been using provided factory square, sine, triangle, and ramp waves? Rarely see people complain about that, despite it being possible to build your own. As far as advantages, probably not many besides ease of use and pre selected quality waveforms hand picked by top tier devs.
david.beholder wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:38 am
Considering you have k levels for each partial you need k^n wavetables to achieve that.
Say if you have only 20 levels for first four partials it's 20^4 => 1.6*10^5.
No thanks.
Hive, pre wavetables, was one of the best synths on the market. Wavetable addition made it a bit more flexible. It isn't a dedicated Wavetable synth, and Urs has said he doesn't see wavetable editing as a part of Hive2 (although not 100% ruled out.) If you want to go balls deep into Wavetables, stick to a synth that has all the editing you need. I'm not a preset guy myself, so build every patch that I use, so understand your need to be more hands on. One thing I don't fret over is going into the editor and fiddling more than necessary with wave forms; again that is me, and don't speak for everyone. But If I need a saw wave, I'll use the one provided. Same with wavetables. I'm provided excellent sounding wavetables on Hive and will use that. If I want to manually create a square wave and go in and add odd partials meticulously one by one or mess around with wavetables, I'll use another synth, but can't be arsed with it building a wave every single time. I might be wrong but I think it was Urs (or some other big dev) that said they were planning on releasing a wavetable synth but didn't proceed with their plans as Steve Duda released an absolute beast of a wavetable synth and really had nothing on the table that was better. But as it stands, Hive has a schema to it and editing wavetables isn't part of it. It's a one page synth with the a certain aesthetic and it does it really really well. If wavetable editing in serious depth and hands on is something youre looking for, of course Hive isn't it. But the tables it does have are pretty dang good and will take you quite a long way if youre looking for putting ideas down quickly. But at this point I'm just repeating myself so I digress.

With that said OP, get whatever synth you vibe with. That'll ultimately be the best synth for you.

Butwug wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:45 am Maybe the same way people have been using provided factory square, sine, triangle, and ramp waves? Rarely see people complain about that, despite it being possible to build your own. As far as advantages, probably not many besides ease of use and pre selected quality waveforms hand picked by top tier devs.

Tbh personally I mostly use synths were I can do more stuff on oscillator and waveform level these days, like painting waveforms and similar, but sure, it's mostly a personal preference, there are certainly endless sound design possibilities without doing that.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

david.beholder wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:56 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 pm @recursive one: If you already own a u-he plugin, you can get Hive 2 now for 30% off. :)
How come?
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=534950
Urs wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:28 pm And since the release coincides with Black Friday, we decided to also offer something to our existing customers who may already own Zebra2. If you have at least one commercial u-he product currently registered, request an email on the My Licenses page now, and you will receive a personal coupon code for a 30% discount in our online store, also valid till Dec. 4th.
Valid for anything apart from Zebra 2.

chk071 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:52 am
david.beholder wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:56 am
How come?
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=534950
Urs wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:28 pm And since the release coincides with Black Friday, we decided to also offer something to our existing customers who may already own Zebra2. If you have at least one commercial u-he product currently registered, request an email on the My Licenses page now, and you will receive a personal coupon code for a 30% discount in our online store, also valid till Dec. 4th.
Valid for anything apart from Zebra 2.
I wonder if the 30% discount is u-he store exclusive? Will resellers be offering a better deal? Guess not, but just thought to ask since Hive 2 is already ~ $125 with coupon "Group" at JRR shop.

Never mind, read this at u-he website:
These offers are only available in our online store at https://u-he.com/ Link

Return to “Instruments”