Cableguys Shaperbox 2 vs Sugar Bytes Effectrix

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, How's everyone !

So I'm just getting ready to buy an effects plugin and I've been caught up in this dilemma between buying the above mentioned plugins i.e., Cableguys' Shaperbox 2 / Sugar Bytes' Effectrix

Was wondering if some of you could help me decide !

I compose the following genres : Hiphop, Trap, Lofi, Progressive House, Future Bass, Pop and sometimes Orchestral

Sugarbytes is much more flexible by having nice curves, frequency-splitting and a timeshaper. Effectrix has some cool additional effects such as tonal delay and it has basic step sequencers, but in general I would say it is much more limited and less advanced. Both are cool multieffects, but I use Shaperbox about 50 times more often than Effectrix.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Effectrix can be fun to fiddle around with, and it offers convenience. You can do cool stuff with Effectrix, but I find it restricts me to certain sounds, and I just don't often feel like using it. It has some customization, per effect, but much of what it offers I can get with Ableton Live Suite tools (or even free effects), with much more flexibility (but not the convenience of Effectrix's all-in-one package). I never think, "Oh, that filter or delay from Effectrix would work well here." It is not always necessarily convenient, either; it can actually slow you down as you fiddle with it.

Shaper box has more utility in sidechaining, mainly. It's five (still five?) effects don't easily get you to a number of the sounds that Effectrix makes. The Timeshaper of Shaperbox can do some scratching sounds, maybe with more variety. I don't use it's panning and stereo width features, although one might do cool stuff with those.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:07 am Shaper box has more utility in sidechaining, mainly. It's five (still five?) effects don't easily get you to a number of the sounds that Effectrix makes. The Timeshaper of Shaperbox can do some scratching sounds, maybe with more variety. I don't use it's panning and stereo width features, although one might do cool stuff with those.
Yeah, it's still only 5 effects and Effectrix can be very convenient. But with Timeshaper alone you could replace Stretch, Vinyl, Loop, Reverse and Scratchloop effects in Effectrix imho, and can do much more. With VolumeShaper you can do anything from soft modulation to hard sidechaining and it replaces the Stutter effect in Effectrix, but with much more flexibility and frequency splitting. The other shapers can give you some interesting additional sources for modulation and also phaser-like effects and basically anything you can do with a modulated filter, even though with not that many filter types as compared to something like LfoTool. But yeah for pure convenience, Effectrix might be better - even though Shaperbox has lots of good presets (I made a few public in their online library, too ;) ).
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

I always thought about ShaperBox more like an utility mixing tool than spectacular FX box.
That being said, TimeShaper alone is a beast and one of the best plugins ever created. Incredible possibilities with so simple interface.

ShaperBox allows audio-rate modulation for some crazy FX, but honestly I didn't use that yet.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

For me

1. Shaperbox is really good value as it´s not only useful for special effects but in nearly every mixing situation...
Very light on CPU, highly but easily editable, well done shapers and even the newly added compressor don´t have to fear a comparison to many standalone ones out there...

2. For FX machines like Effectrix, I would highly recommend to have a look at Tantra first... Tantra is for me the 100% go-to machine for mangeling sounds and I didn´t found anything else coming even close to it´s perfect sound and instant fun...
Not even the need to fiddle with the settings as the included presets are really top notch

On top of that (I don´t know the sale prices now but) Tantra normally costs the half...
Effectrix €119,- (more or less $131)
Tantra $69

Thank you, everyone, for your replies !

Soundwise, Shaperbox 2 > Effectrix.

Return to “Effects”