New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Klinke wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:13 pm they have really different strength.
Absolutely, and thus, they complement each other perfectly.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:54 pm
Yup! In an ideal world I’d have ‘em all :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm
you answering the "fancying spice girls" or controllers question?

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:59 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 pm
you answering the "fancying spice girls" or controllers question?
Both :shrug:

I feel that we are progressing towards this ideal world, with more expressive instruments being designed and offered to the public. At last...

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:03 pm I feel that we are progressing towards this ideal world, with more expressive instruments being designed and offered to the public. At last...
Unfortunately, with the exception of Roli’s blocks, they are still priced so far outside of the bounds of most people’s budgets.

A fingerboard (fretted or unfretted) and strings offer all the MPE+ expression for a very low entry cost...probably why so many of us are guitarists! My fretless Bass even has built in microtonality :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 pm
himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:03 pm I feel that we are progressing towards this ideal world, with more expressive instruments being designed and offered to the public. At last...
Unfortunately, with the exception of Roli’s blocks, they are still priced so far outside of the bounds of most people’s budgets.
get uli on it!
brolis and bosmose for the win!!!

I think the Sensel Morph is actually cheaper than the Seaward Block with the keyboard overlay...
https://sensel.com/collections/all/prod ... 7273075791
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:18 pm
I think the Sensel Morph is actually cheaper than the Seaward Block with the keyboard overlay...
https://sensel.com/collections/all/prod ... 7273075791
The Morph is probably a good starter option due to it’s layout flexibility. Also, there’s the Joué which I’d love to try. It’s more expensive, but more flexible (for music purposes, at least) due to it’s size.

For 49 keys Osmose will be around 60% more expensive (after pre-order promotion ends) than its Seaboard counterpart. At the moment they are roughly the same price (not sure about the inclusion of VAT on both prices though, probably included...)
Should we compare them... subjective opinion. I think - yes, others might disagree.

So, Osmose will be definitely more expensive unless mass production could drop the price after let's say 2~3 years (highly unlikely to happen at all). Depends on the developers and manufacturer.
Hoped we could see some price drops, but that would be too optimistic at this point. :pray:
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, I like the Morph, its a keeper....its a bit more than just an MPE control as you can make any layout you want so it's a super flexible controller in general. I have the Innovator’s Overlay and with the overlay designer you can draw out your own controls, and make a custom controller really fast...an X/Y/Z controller at that!

Yes, that's unfortunate, but that's how it is when the revolution is started by small independent companies or designers....often starting from the ground up with no prior experience and no resources.

If I maybe a bit daring and speculative, I'd say that the whole MPE instrument revolution should have been spearheaded by the big guys like Yamaha, Roland, Korg, et al, and maybe then we would have seen more affordable products.

But there is also another side to this. In the 90s people would save up for that big hardware synth or a workstation. We would be asked to pay in the region of £1500 for a lot of the gear that was desired back then and people wouldn't baulk at the price. It's only now that we see this price as exorbitant, maybe all due to the fact that we can buy a cheap midi keyboard, a bunch of inexpensive plugins and have more sonic power than anything that was available in the 90s. So, maybe we don't see value in spending so much for a keyboard, albeit a very expressive one, as we have this mental 'monetary' threshold that says: "anything above £500 is a no-no".....just speculating...

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 pm But there is also another side to this. In the 90s people would save up for that big hardware synth or a workstation. We would be asked to pay in the region of £1500 for a lot of the gear that was desired back then and people wouldn't baulk at the price. It's only now that we see this price as exorbitant, maybe all due to the fact that we can buy a cheap midi keyboard, a bunch of inexpensive plugins and have more sonic power than anything that was available in the 90s. So, maybe we don't see value in spending so much for a keyboard, albeit a very expressive one, as we have this mental 'monetary' threshold that says: "anything above £500 is a no-no".....just speculating...
Synths are good but it is just a sound variation at the end. I do care about proper functionality though.
Seems like most of the so called 'dimensions' and features of those instruments (Osmose, Seaboard, etc.) depend on the synth preset, hence they are software based. It would be an overkill to make it with analogue sound synthesis, if possible at all.
Considering that these days most companies and devs behind modern tech. or posh visual appearance of their products put at least ×5 the manufacturing price as an added value (I've seen even ×10), makes me believe that these instruments could offered for much cheaper. But again that depends on the demand, the higher it is, the less the manufacturing price. But if the demand is higher, why would you drop the price? It is a never ending cycle.

I would prefer a design to get spread out as broader (and fast) as possible, than to wait to get rich from a small circle of fanboys who act more as a collectors. Personal opinion.

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:01 pm
Yes, that's unfortunate, but that's how it is when the revolution is started by small independent companies or designers....often starting from the ground up with no prior experience and no resources.

If I maybe a bit daring and speculative, I'd say that the whole MPE instrument revolution should have been spearheaded by the big guys like Yamaha, Roland, Korg, et al, and maybe then we would have seen more affordable products.

But there is also another side to this. In the 90s people would save up for that big hardware synth or a workstation. We would be asked to pay in the region of £1500 for a lot of the gear that was desired back then and people wouldn't baulk at the price. It's only now that we see this price as exorbitant, maybe all due to the fact that we can buy a cheap midi keyboard, a bunch of inexpensive plugins and have more sonic power than anything that was available in the 90s. So, maybe we don't see value in spending so much for a keyboard, albeit a very expressive one, as we have this mental 'monetary' threshold that says: "anything above £500 is a no-no".....just speculating...
tbf many people did baulk at the price.
hence the rise in dance music when all the synth dudes went digital and you could get cheap analogue drum machines and monosynrhs in the hands of untrained musicians, giving rise to the "punk" of its day.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”