New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@ Pashkuli : I'm not sure if mpe keyboard manufacturers are getting rich.... Roli have make some big crowdfunding but they invest a lot into spreading mpe to the music world.
L. Haken didn't quit is main job and develops the continuum in his basement.
I didn't see R.linn having his private jet:)
All this company put a lot of efforts into RnD and education. Where are the big guys?
Best
YY

Yeh, where is Uli when you need him ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

:)
Best
YY

maaaan youre so poor, you only have access to 2 dimensions in sound!

I took the plunge and put my deposit down. I think this instrument looks like an interesting compromise between a traditional keyboard and the less conventional MPE instruments we’ve already seen. I’ve spent an absurd amount of money on almost every expressive controller on the market, so what’s one more? :help: Each of these instruments offers their own strengths and weaknesses, and I’ve come to the conclusion that there isn’t one single best interface. I will say, however, that the combination of the Continuum and EaganMatrix is truly extraordinary, and having that same sound engine in Osmose makes it a much more compelling option.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm Synths are good but it is just a sound variation at the end. I do care about proper functionality though.
Seems like most of the so called 'dimensions' and features of those instruments (Osmose, Seaboard, etc.) depend on the synth preset, hence they are software based. It would be an overkill to make it with analogue sound synthesis, if possible at all.
Actually most MPE controllers can send to analog synths just like software synths. It's just an extension of midi. There are several analog synths with MPE support. Obviously the sound and modulation depends on the sound source, whether it is a software in the box, or software in the controller unit (ie. a digital hardware synth), or an analog synth.
Considering that these days most companies and devs behind modern tech. or posh visual appearance of their products put at least ×5 the manufacturing price as an added value (I've seen even ×10), makes me believe that these instruments could offered for much cheaper. But again that depends on the demand, the higher it is, the less the manufacturing price. But if the demand is higher, why would you drop the price? It is a never ending cycle.

I would prefer a design to get spread out as broader (and fast) as possible, than to wait to get rich from a small circle of fanboys who act more as a collectors. Personal opinion.
The ascertion that these MPE hardware companies are getting rich from a small market with jacked up prices at the expense of spreading the tools to a wider audience is a pretty ridiculous theory..

deastman wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 pm I took the plunge and put my deposit down. I think this instrument looks like an interesting compromise between a traditional keyboard and the less conventional MPE instruments we’ve already seen. I’ve spent an absurd amount of money on almost every expressive controller on the market, so what’s one more? :help: Each of these instruments offers their own strengths and weaknesses, and I’ve come to the conclusion that there isn’t one single best interface. I will say, however, that the combination of the Continuum and EaganMatrix is truly extraordinary, and having that same sound engine in Osmose makes it a much more compelling option.
So that’s two of us so far :tu:
I also went in partly for the EaganMatrix and the fact that it is not ‘just‘ a controller but a complete unified hardware MPE synth.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Whywhy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 pm All this company put a lot of efforts into R&D and education. Where are the big guys?
That is very true... unfortunately.
By "the big guys" I assume you mean Yamaha, Roland, Casio, Korg.
Well, they are all Japanese companies. It is not very easy to deal with Japanese way of doing business. I've been trying for more ~12 years now (not related to my keyboard, but rather to the standard piano keyboard design... which is awful). The most recent of which was around 2 weeks ago. :party: Nothing. First one was in 2007. Not going to happen. Tried a few times with Korg.

I was not saying that they are getting rich. The mere fact that to produce a hardware in even "per demand" quantities costs a fortune to make, raises the final price per unit a lot (× times). This is not software (although software engineers are expensive for sure). And you would need them both on board, so... make a business plan. As far as I know, Roli are still not profitable. They just got the funds somehow.
Roger Linn makes everything on his own. Haken Continuum has been in development for more than 20 years!

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm Yeh, where is Uli when you need him ;-)
Is it only me that has no idea what or who Uli is? Never heard of them. :neutral:

MPE is just an "extension" of MIDI. Not really an extension but rather new Agreement with regards to the MIDI channels. They just do not want to let it die in peace. It's not going to be soon, but MIDI will die. For good.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uli behringer, see if he can bring your idea to the market :tu:

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:34 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm Yeh, where is Uli when you need him ;-)
Is it only me that has no idea what or who Uli is? Never heard of them. :neutral:
Uli Behringer is the founder and managing director of Behringer who are responsible for all the cheap synths of late...

Ah, thanks. I have heard of the Behringer brand. Never had anything made or branded with their name. I thought they were some company from the 80s that made some loudspeakers or something and got bankrupt.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

id buy a bashkuli :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm id buy a bashkuli :hihi:
Good sarcasm but no, thanks. If someone (big or cheap mass prod.) would like to make my keyboard, they will have to make it exactly as I say, otherwise they will definitely φucк it up. Plus, there are only a handful of people on the planet, who actually can play it, and I am not one of them!

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:52 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:47 pm id buy a bashkuli :hihi:
Good sarcasm but no, thanks. If someone (big or cheap mass prod.) would like to make my keyboard, they will have to make it exactly as I say, otherwise they will definitely φucк it up.
id imagine they'd follow your plans exactly.
they're making real waves in the hardware synth market at the minute after years of high quality mixers, now theres also the new "wing" desk coming.
they're not just throwing stuff together.

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 pm So that’s two of us so far :tu:
I also went in partly for the EaganMatrix and the fact that it is not ‘just‘ a controller but a complete unified hardware MPE synth.
I still feel that the Continuum playing surface is the optimal interface for the EaganMatrix. I say that because the fingerboard surface presents unified and continuous access to all three dimensions, which also represent the core parameters of the EaganMatrix. If I had to choose between the two controllers, I’d go that way. Fortunately I don’t have to choose, and I can enjoy both of them. Osmose represents an arbitrary division and quantization of that continuous surface and parameter space. Of course, that comes with its own advantages when it comes to playing conventional music. Personally I’m very excited to have both options available.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”