learning programming. the best path?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mystran wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Some editors/IDEs can actually pull TODO items from comments into a list: https://www.dotnetperls.com/todo

Another "comment tag" that sometimes gets special treatment is FIXME (ie. "this code works, but it's ugly and/or has limitations that need to be fixed later").
awesome tip! thanks! i use visual studio, which the link uses as an example. as soon as i get a chance to open it up (about a weeks time, work is busy this week :'( )i will try it. that is a really useful feature!

can you guys help me with some things?
my learning has got to a point where i want to start applying it to things i want to do (mostly audio, but also non-console games are fun, of course). i still have a lot of core things to learn but i want to start working in an environment that i intend to stick to in the long run.
ive been looking at juce as its an obvious choice, but is that all i would need? would i need an API too? (im not exactly sure how APIs work).

thanks

If you want to use juce to build vst2, 3, AU or AAX then you will need those API's. Pretty much you just stick the API in a specified folder and juce should handle interfacing with those APIs, so you just use the juce API and can pretty much forget about the other API specifics.

An API abstracts the underlying implementation of the features you would like to use, so that you only have to make a simple function call instead of writing it from scratch yourself. You usually include the corresponding header files in your own code scope so that you can call the desired API functions from its namespace.

You may know it already but just in case, The Audio Programmer has a great collection of teaching resources on its Youtube channel, mainly JUCE and audio development but also more general C++ related content:
https://theaudioprogrammer.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpKb02 ... X_2xhIoJ1A

There's many things to learn ahead but also a lot of fun on the way ;)

thanks for the replies <3

@matt42
when you say i need the (e.g.) VST2 API, does that mean i need the VST2 SDK? is the SDK the API? or does the SDK include the API?

@gllm
so an API basically works the same way as libraries do? is a library an API? like, for example the standard library.
also, i did not know about those resources, thanks for the links!

@parricide

API is a set of objects, functions, variables, data structures etc. which one program exposes to interact with another one. VST SDK determines such an API. So, yes, VST SDK includes the API. Every SDK in plugins' world does it.

VST2 SDK is deprecated, you cannot use it without a signed agreement. You have to sign this agreement to use it legally. Now it's possible for VST3 SDK only.

All of this talk about languages. I'm yet to see anybody around here mention RS, analysis and design methods. Does anybody (yes and I'm looking at all of you who call yourself software engineers :) actually do any sort of formal (in the informal sense of the word) A & D? Or are VSTs too trivial for such things.

I hope I'm not derailing here.

What language is this you speak, RS?

What's A & D, mate? They're the two middle strings on a 4-string bass, yeah? :-?

resynthesis
All of this talk about languages.

Because this is what the topic starter is interested right now primarily.

yes and I'm looking at all of you...

Oh, please don't do this - we are yet frightened of one doing that recently: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=534772 :cry:

Monkey Man wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:27 am What's A & D, mate?
That's for people who don't quite make it to A&E. Ouch!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

:hihi:

lobanov wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:59 pm @parricide

API is a set of objects, functions, variables, data structures etc. which one program exposes to interact with another one. VST SDK determines such an API. So, yes, VST SDK includes the API. Every SDK in plugins' world does it.

VST2 SDK is deprecated, you cannot use it without a signed agreement. You have to sign this agreement to use it legally. Now it's possible for VST3 SDK only.
okay that makes sense, thank you

resynthesis wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 pm All of this talk about languages. I'm yet to see anybody around here mention RS, analysis and design methods. Does anybody (yes and I'm looking at all of you who call yourself software engineers :) actually do any sort of formal (in the informal sense of the word) A & D? Or are VSTs too trivial for such things.

I hope I'm not derailing here.
choosing a language was my primary concern. i did mention near the start of the thread that i have many years of experience with audio physics and maths as well as DSP design etc and it was really just about choosing the right path to be able to use those skills along side a programming language to program audio toys.

however now i have chosen C++ and am moving forward along that path so am mostly looking for info about C++ and things like juce etc.
i am still keen to learn other related things though so would love to hear about the things you mention, could you tell me more about RS, A&D, etc please? i dont even know what they are.
thanks

resynthesis said A&D = analysis and design.

According to one source "RS" stands for "real shit"
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”