DDMF MagicDeathEye compressor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wheres the DDMF manual ?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

cfanyc wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:06 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm Anyone compared MagicDeathEye to other top-notch compressors, specifically the Pulsar Audio Mu, Fuse Audios Mu-Leveller / Limiter, Sonimus TuCo and Klanghelm Mjuc ??

I feel like 2019 will enter audio gear history as the year of variMu compressors and tape cassette emulations!
Mu --> excellent but for glue, not groove
Fuse --> donnot know & cannot comment
Tuco & Mjuc --> not in the same league
Thanks! I doubt that Sonimus TuCo and Klanghelm MJUC are "not in the same league" as the MDE though. MDE might have another compression characteristic and another "dial in" response, but there is no way that it can play entire "leagues above" such highly acclaimed and revered VariMu equivalents as TuCo and MJuc. If you prefer MDE that's totally fine, but there is no need to put down other quality products, just because there is a new hype in town.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 pm
Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm Anyone compared MagicDeathEye to other top-notch compressors, specifically the Pulsar Audio Mu, Fuse Audios Mu-Leveller / Limiter, Sonimus TuCo and Klanghelm Mjuc ??

I feel like 2019 will enter audio gear history as the year of variMu compressors and tape cassette emulations!
Thanks! I doubt that Sonimus TuCo and Klanghelm MJUC are "not in the same league" as the MDE though. MDE might have another compression characteristic and another "dial in" response, but there is no way that it can play entire "leagues above" such highly acclaimed and revered VariMu equivalents as TuCo and MJuc. If you prefer MDE that's totally fine, but there is no need to put down other quality products, just because there is a new hype in town.
Maybe check out what others are saying at Gearslutz, they dont agree with you. Personally I have ears of balsawood
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:48 pm

I should have said that "IMO they are in a different league". I stand by this opinion, however
and no, I do not have a habit of riding hype trains...

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:40 pm Wheres the DDMF manual ?
It's available with the demo download.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

cfanyc wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:11 pm
v1o wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:32 pm I only compared to Pulsar MU and MJUC. MDE is a gentler compressor, you almost don't hear it compress, but absolutely in the same league as all the big dawgs.
I respectfully dissent.

This plugin and the original hw unit it models are not a transparent compressor used for
volume increase (hence inaudible when volume-matched) but a compressor revered
for its musicality.

The effect of MDE on the mixbuss, when used even at a 1-2 db or more GR and when properly timed
with the groove of the music, is very strongly discernible even to the untrained ear.
Opinions differ. It depends on how you use it. I compared them on the 2 buss. I found it to have a gentler action than MU. What I mean by is that it doesn’t ‘grab’ as hard as MU does. Instead it dances around the program material in a smooth manner without creating pumping artefacts, that makes it sound more open to my ears. It’s also does a great job at maintaining the stereo image and separation. Most software buss compressors make the stereo image collapse. If you listen closely to a lesser compressor you’ll find certain (less prominent) instruments will lose their up/down/left/right positioning. 2db is more gain reduction than I use on the stereo buss. Typically I only kiss the needle, usually less than 0.5db of GR on the stereo bus. Just enough to give the mix some cohesion and glue.

By the way I’m not the only one that thinks MDE is pretty transparent. Especially compared to MJUC and MU.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=417

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=416
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

It should be easy to set up Pulsar MU or any other of the top notch VariMu emulations to act "less grabby" and more gentle, eg by using the internal sidechain highpass. Saturation characteristics and it's frequency response are a separate issue, personally I like the saturation flavors in Klanghelm Mjuc.

About MDE: I'm not in any way suggesting it's bad, I'm just troubled by superlative statements and gross exaggerations. How can something be "leagues above" a trialed and tested equivalent product, which has just a few months ago still has been considered as one of the best in class product?

I mean, c'mon: it's not like MJUC or TuCo are some late 1990s early generation Synthedit compressors with completely generic sound and unnatural compression behaviour!! They are solid and highly acclaimed (by audio engineers and pros, including a huge positiv thread on the very same GS board) analog emulation compressors based on meticulous modelling of the characteristics.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:25 am It should be easy to set up Pulsar MU or any other of the top notch VariMu emulations to act "less grabby" and more gentle, eg by using the internal sidechain highpass. Saturation characteristics and it's frequency response are a separate issue, personally I like the saturation flavors in Klanghelm Mjuc.

About MDE: I'm not in any way suggesting it's bad, I'm just troubled by superlative statements and gross exaggerations. How can something be "leagues above" a trialed and tested equivalent product, which has just a few months ago still has been considered as one of the best in class product?

I mean, c'mon: it's not like MJUC or TuCo are some late 1990s early generation Synthedit compressors with completely generic sound and unnatural compression behaviour!! They are solid and highly acclaimed (by audio engineers and pros, including a huge positiv thread on the very same GS board) analog emulation compressors based on meticulous modelling of the characteristics.
Out of interest, are your MDE tests performed in a treated studio?
In my studio MDE and MJUC aren’t even close. MDE out performs MJUC in every way but CPU usage.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:39 am
Out of interest, are your MDE tests performed in a treated studio?
In my studio MDE and MJUC aren’t even close. MDE out performs MJUC in every way but CPU usage.
Did you quote me without actually reading and comprehending? Could you elaborate in what specific manner MDE "out performs" MJUC? You make broad claims, but fail to specify your statements.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:25 am It should be easy to set up Pulsar MU or any other of the top notch VariMu emulations to act "less grabby" and more gentle, eg by using the internal sidechain highpass. Saturation characteristics and it's frequency response are a separate issue, personally I like the saturation flavors in Klanghelm Mjuc.
Setting up a side chain just changes sensitivity to low frequency energy it doesn’t change the ballistics. Even if you set up an internal side chain high pass on both MDE and MU they don’t react in the same way to program material. They still ‘grab’ material quite differently.
Last edited by v1o on Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

In my opinion Kotelnikov GE is in the same league as the other heavy hitters mentioned in this thread. It’s an amazing buss compressor. Don’t sleep on it!
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:32 pm I only compared to Pulsar MU and MJUC. MDE is a gentler compressor, you almost don't hear it compress, but absolutely in the same league as all the big dawgs.
I respectfully dissent.

This plugin and the original hw unit it models are not a transparent compressor used for
for its musicality.
I mean... no, it's not a transparent compressor for volume increase, but I do sympathize with describing it as gentle and subtle. It's not really in-your-face, and with some sections of the material I tested with it is almost subliminal.

I like the description a couple of people had over in the Gearslutz thread: it's "respectful" of the source material.

I liked MJUC before I tried MDE, but now I find myself wondering if I will ever want to reach for MJUC again. It really is that good IMHO.
The Noodlist wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:01 pm BF sale is on now.
Bought!

I have MJUC and Mu. I've been testing MDE as well. They each do their own thing. If you want mojo, MJUC is the clear winner. I don't think I would ever use it on a master buss but I have used it a lot on vocal buses and acoustic instruments. it adds a weight to the source that the others don't. For master buss, I'm not sure which I like better between Mu and MDE. Mu seems to pull the mix together a bit better but MDE has a clarity I like as well. I don't think any of the three is going to take the place of the others. Then again, none of these will fix a bad mix. They each have their place but none are the ultimate "one and only" compressor. They are just different flavors.

I need to test the CPU hit of Mu vs MDE. These Black Friday deals are killing my bank account...

v1o wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:20 pm
I respectfully dissent.

for its musicality.

The effect of MDE on the mixbuss, when used even at a 1-2 db or more GR and when properly timed
with the groove of the music, is very strongly discernible even to the untrained ear.
Opinions differ. It depends on how you use it. I compared them on the 2 buss. I found it to have a gentler action than MU. What I mean by is that it doesn’t ‘grab’ as hard as MU does. Instead it dances around the program material in a smooth manner without creating pumping artefacts, that makes it sound more open to my ears. It’s also does a great job at maintaining the stereo image and separation. Most software buss compressors make the stereo image collapse. If you listen closely to a lesser compressor you’ll find certain (less prominent) instruments will lose their up/down/left/right positioning. 2db is more gain reduction than I use on the stereo buss. Typically I only kiss the needle, usually less than 0.5db of GR on the stereo bus. Just enough to give the mix some cohesion and glue.

By the way I’m not the only one that thinks MDE is pretty transparent. Especially compared to MJUC and MU.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=417

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... tcount=416
Ok I see what you are saying, and thanks for clarifying.
For me "transparent" is an absolute notion, either I can tell
the before-after (not transparent) or I cannot (transparent).
For you, it is relative to other compressors which may
have more discernible effects.

The important observation is that we totally agree on the perception of its behavior.

I too find (and i think that others agree also)
that plugins like the mu and uad manley do create cohesion but at the expense
of oftent smaller soundstage and movement/separation (at similar settings or GR roughly speaking).
That is why I recently use at the master buss MDE (groove)-> waves g-comp (cohesion)->izotop maximizer (final peak catch and setting loudness to desired level).
The g-comp is probably the only waves plugin that I routinely use nowadays btw because it gives glue but has a lighter sonic imprint (to my ears at least).

This chain (all settings in moderation) also combined with some other things
like izotope imager and magpha eq (final polish/post comp correction) gives in my experience a very open sound, clarity, wide and deep soundstage.

Demoing MagicDeathEye I created a mess of a track but it shows off the compressor I think. I realize its not very nice to listen to. I was more experimenting with different rhythmic loops to get multiple instances dancing around. There are 4 tracks each with a MDE on them set by ear to my taste. Also, one of the mix buss. Then through Limitless and loudness matched track-to-track and the mix. Interesting!

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/se ... ye/s-oEhHH

Return to “Effects”