Just bought Dune3 after considering it or Spire

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I tried both demos. What was good with the Spire demo was that it contained all patches. Dune3 demo only contained a select number of patches.

Now, playing with the Spire patches, I instantly liked them. It was easy coming up with stuff. But then I compared to Dune3 and to my ears spire sounded a bit "thin". Everything is relative in mixing so it's probably not a problem in the end but after careful consideration I went with Dune3 instead of Spire, because the sound sounded fatter, warmer and fuller compared to Spire which sounded more thin and metallic.

I hope I won't be dissappointed with the Dune3 patches now.

Still might get into Spire later though because I really liked its patches except from that "thin" sound.

You'll get Spire later on ;)

They complement each other really well. Spire is indeed a bit thin sounding in isolation but it's very easy to mix and it always stands out in a track. Dune3 for pads and background synths + Spire for basses and main leads = perfect combo :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Silencer86 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:06 am Now, playing with the Spire patches, I instantly liked them. It was easy coming up with stuff. But then I compared to Dune3 and to my ears spire sounded a bit "thin". Everything is relative in mixing so it's probably not a problem in the end but after careful consideration I went with Dune3 instead of Spire, because the sound sounded fatter, warmer and fuller compared to Spire which sounded more thin and metallic.
Absolutely beyond me. But, you know, if I learned one thing here it's that people's definition of "thin", "warm", or "fat" vastly differ.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think those words are reasonably appropriate, perhaps not in absolute terms but certainly in comparison to DUNE's sound. I'd call it more "digital" sounding than DUNE, which is the same sort of thing.
chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 amAbsolutely beyond me. But, you know, if I learned one thing here it's that people's definition of "thin", "warm", or "fat" vastly differ.
Except here it is simply comparative, not absolute. Spire sounds thinner than DUNE. Pretty simple, really. I tried the Spire demo and didn't find anything special about it, beyond it's lovely interface. I certainly wouldn't be using it for basslines, especially if I had DUNE (and I do).

The reality, though, is that nothing can stand up to DUNE's sound. It is nothing short of phenomenal and is absolutely unbeatable. I don't particularly enjoy using it but not using it would be selling what we do short.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 am The reality, though, is that nothing can stand up to DUNE's sound. It is nothing short of phenomenal and is absolutely unbeatable.
Well people's definition of "phenomenal" and "absolutely unbeatable" do vastly differ :)

I like Dune3 and do use it quite a bit but I wouldn't call it my best sounding synth. It sounds good enough for most tasks but I can't say it oozes character like some other synths do (including Spire).

Where Dune3 wins is GUI/workflow (except that layers thing).

well if i load up some DIVA bass/pads it definitely sounds different than Spire's pads etc. but im no pro sound designer so maybe you can get the big/warmy sound of diva too in spire. just an example.

and yeah you should get spire too ;D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

One peculiarity I noticed about Spire is that it clips/compresses it's output. You have to be really careful with the gain, or you'll end up with a thin, distorted sound. Otherwise the synth is amazing and has a very characterful ADSR envelope.

And Dune 3 is equally as amazing, no doubt about it.

Intelligent developers = great synths!

i wouldn't give up one for the other (altho i use dune3 more, spire is great for harder sounds). they both work

So, in 2019 Spire's sound changed from plastic to metallic?

e@rs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm So, in 2019 Spire's sound changed from plastic to metallic?
is that progress?

vurt wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm
e@rs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm So, in 2019 Spire's sound changed from plastic to metallic?
is that progress?
Yes, plastic is bad for the environment

recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:35 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 pm
is that progress?
Yes, plastic is bad for the environment
and metal is :band2:

I like Spire more and I have both of them (Well Dune 2). It is true that Dune sounds more expansive and less "tinny", but it depends on the sounds where I find Spire not really tinny, just in a way compared to Dune. Nobody can beat the pluck on Spire, I have not heard anything better than it when it comes to pluck. I overall believe Spire has the best sound out of any synth, it just has a quality or some clarity that no other synth has. I find myself loving Spire more than any other synth I have. It just has character I cannot describe. Dune on the other hand, I find to be the opposite- it sounds very unclear and muddyish to me, BUT it has a quality and expansiveness and a wide beauty that no other synth can compare to- must be all the oscillators. I also find Zebralette to be incredibly beautiful on the sound just itself, not being the full on Zebra. I think those three synths and you are good. Oh, and someone said that they wouldn't use Spire for the bass at all. I disagree, I think Spire's bass is unbelievably beautiful so do whatever you like lol.

izonin wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 am One peculiarity I noticed about Spire is that it clips/compresses it's output. You have to be really careful with the gain, or you'll end up with a thin, distorted sound.
You can switch off the compressor/limiter (x-comp) on the output. Also watch what SHP is doing.

Spire has a lot of internal headroom, so it doesn't clip it's output by itself.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”