MIDI manipulating plug in. Im in need of a very specific plug in.

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
mguerrero90
KVRist
54 posts since 8 May, 2019

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:31 am

So I have a midi m-audio keyboard that has some wires crossed. The pitch bend acts like the mod wheel and vice versa. I need a plugin I can place in front of vsts were I can switch the two signals. There has to be something out there, it is not feasible for me to fix really, the only other option is buying a new keyboard. Hell ill even learn to make one if I need to.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6312 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: MIDI manipulating plug in. Im in need of a very specific plug in.

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 am

A job for pizmidi..Midi Converter 3 should do what you want;

viewtopic.php?t=300566

The plug-ins are now at;

https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

mguerrero90
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks! reading the description it seems like its just what I want, but using it in ableton I dont see how I could possibly make it do that, or what its supposed to do even.

fairlyclose
KVRist
236 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 am

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
6312 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 am

mguerrero90 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:32 am
Thanks! reading the description it seems like its just what I want, but using it in ableton I dont see how I could possibly make it do that, or what its supposed to do even.
I don't use Live, but hopefully someone who does will come along and explain how to use MIDI vsts..!

From looking online this looks like it;

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ST-plug-in

You'd use the midi converter as an instrument on one track (and play/record your keyboard to it) and the output would go to a second track where you have a VST producing the sound. You could set the midi converter 'in' to be pitch bend and 'out' to be cc1 as modulation. That's basically how it would work in FL (through a numbered midi port) anyway!

Forgotten
KVRAF
5948 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:02 am

You’re using Ableton Live? You can remap the keyboard controls to the correct MIDI CC globally. Read this chapter of the manual - this is really useful stuff to understand:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/midi- ... e-control/

mguerrero90
KVRist

Post Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:46 pm

27.2, amazing, who wouldve though I wouldnt need anything for this thanks! you wont be forgotten!

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
3368 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:35 pm

But beware, pitch bend is 14-bit and the mod wheel is 7-bit. Better rewire the hardware back to its original connections...

BertKoor
KVRAF
11335 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 am

mguerrero90 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:13 pm
it seems like they just soldered the pitch the mod wheel and vice versa from the factory, is that even possible?
Could anyone else apart from the factory have messed with it? Are you the first owner? If yes: do you still have warranty? Then please do contact M-Audio

It's not likely to get passed QC with a defect like that, but you never know.
Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:35 pm
Better rewire the hardware back to its original connections...
Chances are, if this is indeed a wiring fault, you can solve it yourself, even without a solder iron. Only do so if the unit is out of warranty. Just screw it open. You may find the wheels are connected to the main board with some cables that are not soldered but have simple connectors. So then swapping them back will be easy.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

mguerrero90
KVRist

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:51 am

BertKoor wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:58 am
Chances are, if this is indeed a wiring fault, you can solve it yourself, even without a solder iron. Only do so if the unit is out of warranty. Just screw it open. You may find the wheels are connected to the main board with some cables that are not soldered but have simple connectors. So then swapping them back will be easy.
Thanks! The keyboard is currently in Colombia so it'll be very hard to get it to them physically, which is why I never bothered to fix it. I tried screwing it open. If you have experience or a link I would heavily appreciate it some more help because the configuration of the keys made it really difficult to achieve it. I know how to solder circuits and whatnot, I could do it, it was just really difficult.

Is it possible for someone to have f**ked with it before it got to me? A lot of crazy shit happens in my life, it's possible.

BertKoor
KVRAF
11335 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 am

Again, are you the first owner, or did you buy it second-hand?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

chk071
KVRAF
22446 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 am

Definitely sounds like someone fixed it before, and confused the two connectors.

mguerrero90
KVRist

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 am

BertKoor wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 am
Again, are you the first owner, or did you buy it second-hand?
First owner. So maybe it is that the settings are off, but im sure ive have reset the keyboard before. I did study computer science for a while.

It is a possibility it was done for reasons. Ive been making music for quite a while now...

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
2734 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am

You should be able to change the assignments in the m audio software where you create templates for vsts and such. Past that, nearly all hosts have some form of input transformation for midi so that’s a good bet. I don’t have ableton, but cubase does it. Thirdly there are a few easy third party apps for doing this. You could make a synthedit plugin in just a few minutes that would handle this.

Lastly, if you aren’t afraid of tinkering, just open the thing up. If it has behaved this way since you owned it then the fix is probably the connections being crossed. I would put my money on someone having played with the software settings and reassigned the outputs for those wheels. I stopped using m audio hardware because their pitch wheels are not very durable. They would stat outputting random small messages when at their mid point and cause tuning issues. So then I would have to disable the pitchwheel altogether.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

mguerrero90
KVRist

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 am
So then I would have to disable the pitchwheel altogether.
Im fine with this, do you remember how you did it?

Return to “Effects”