Just bought Dune3 after considering it or Spire

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e@rs wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm So, in 2019 Spire's sound changed from plastic to metallic?
Haha! I would describe Largo's sound as metallic, and Spire's as plastic. It's all about how band limiting is implemented in the oscillators.

dionenoid wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 pm
izonin wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:54 am One peculiarity I noticed about Spire is that it clips/compresses it's output. You have to be really careful with the gain, or you'll end up with a thin, distorted sound.
You can switch off the compressor/limiter (x-comp) on the output. Also watch what SHP is doing.

Spire has a lot of internal headroom, so it doesn't clip it's output by itself.
No, I did the test with x-comp and all other effects switched off. There are still some nonlinearities, if you push the signal above 0db.

twal wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm I like Spire more and I have both of them (Well Dune 2). It is true that Dune sounds more expansive and less "tinny", but it depends on the sounds where I find Spire not really tinny, just in a way compared to Dune. Nobody can beat the pluck on Spire, I have not heard anything better than it when it comes to pluck. I overall believe Spire has the best sound out of any synth, it just has a quality or some clarity that no other synth has. I find myself loving Spire more than any other synth I have. It just has character I cannot describe. Dune on the other hand, I find to be the opposite- it sounds very unclear and muddyish to me, BUT it has a quality and expansiveness and a wide beauty that no other synth can compare to- must be all the oscillators. I also find Zebralette to be incredibly beautiful on the sound just itself, not being the full on Zebra. I think those three synths and you are good. Oh, and someone said that they wouldn't use Spire for the bass at all. I disagree, I think Spire's bass is unbelievably beautiful so do whatever you like lol.
Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It's as if Spire has a Transient Shaper built in, that's always On. Btw you can get a similar effect with other synths like Sylenth1, using a transient shaper plug-in.

And the muddy, undefined sound seems to be almost gone in Dune 3. It's simply amazing!

recursive one wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 amI like Dune3 and do use it quite a bit but I wouldn't call it my best sounding synth.
Although you are not confident enough to say what you think sounds better, in case anyone were to test them side-by-side.
It sounds good enough for most tasks but I can't say it oozes character like some other synths do (including Spire).
If digital and thin are "character", then OK but it's something I can live without. The problem with synths with "character" is that they lack flexibility. OTOH, I can imbue a DUNE patch with any character I like, to complement the character of the song in which I am using it.
Where Dune3 wins is GUI/workflow (except that layers thing).
If Spire's workflow is worse than DUNE's, then Spire must be dire to use. (See what I did there?)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The true test is when you create multi tracks with a synth. How does it sound in the context of a full mix? That’s how you separate the men from the boys.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Spire's workflow is definitely worse than Dune 3's. That's about anything that is worse about it, though. ;)

We could surely spend all night and day discussing this now, though. Or... we just use what we like better.

Yeah, for sure, but I was really surprised at how much I didn't like Spire's sound, given how popular it is.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

You're by far not the only one... i read quite a few times here that people think Spire is "thin", "always on", or something else. I can't comprehend that, because, i think Spire sounds very warm and fat (even when you disable the "warm" algo in the master section, which is on by default), but, hey. If anything, Spire is a tad clean for me sometimes, but... that's easily "fixed" with the great sounding shaper/saturation.

To each his own. :)

Let me just say that I am in no way hating on Spire. As I said I really liked the character of its patches.

One thing I want to say that stood out with Spire for me was that the patches had very strong and clear transients, something that I find difficult to tweak myself on a lot of synths. For example I bought the OPX II (don't know why in retrospect). And one thing I found with that synth was that I just couldn't get a strong transient with most patches.

Don't own either but from demos I'd say Spire has the better and more unique raw sound. It's a desirable type of "thin", to my ears.

If a synth sounds thin, it has too much high-frequency content.

More likely not enough low end as the filter will usually tame the high frequency content pretty easily.

Return to “Instruments”