my first thoughts on Bitwig 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
melodyz
KVRist
287 posts since 29 Mar, 2016

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:43 pm

ok so I tried the demo. It is very cool! Slight learning curve though to figure out what goes where and so forth but I love the modulation options. I love the colors. I love that I can bounce right to audio in a looped track. I also like that my Base controller has a script ready to go. Thats great since its not well supported on any platform but here it is. I also like that I can actually see plugin presets - Im not sure why some show up and others do not. The GRID yes cool but I gotta learn it.

What I dont like - trying to get my Yamaha keyboard sounds all set in there. It took a while to figure out I had to use a HW instrument instance to make it work and it still required some trial and error. I havnt tried to see if it will pick up automation from all my knobs yet (ableton does this right out of the box). Please make this easy as well. I cannot understand why external instruments are such a pain to get their audio back into a DAW. I can hear everythrough my audio interface which resides in my keyboard but you have to go through a lot of hurdles to get that midi data back into audio. I wish someone would somehow create a bounce external instrument to audio option. Not sure how it could be done but Im sure someone will figure it out. It would be like sampling what the DAW hears without having to change all the outputs in also turn off the Direct Audio Monitor on the synth and so forth and so on. Again this is a problem with every DAW.

A few other things that are a little messy on the eyes is the browser - trying to find my plugins and stuff in all the mess is not easy on the eyes - I like that its there, but its not how I like things sorted. Fl Studio wins on the sorting stuff. Please Bitwig make it easier to find my stuff - maybe once we favorite something we can resort it in a special menu that always shows up first

Will my circuit mono station work? I dont know there isnt a controller template - and I dont know java script.

One thing I cant understand why any DAW doesnt do this is allow all 16 midi channels to pass through a single instance of a midi file. Its always 1 channel or nothing. When you own a Yamaha keyboard you need all those channels in one place. I can of course set up 16 tracks and link them to each channel and then group them so there is that.

also the Montage Connect (Vst3 plugin) isnt supported here either for some reason. The drag and drop does nothing.

I think the price is a little steep when it sounds like development is ongoing. So I would have to keep investing in it to get cool features. Not sure if that is what I want to ultimately do until I know it has everything I want and need.

I havent figured out if I can link keyboard hotkeys to the scenes but that would be cool too. I also dont know if I can apply all sorts of hotkeys to control plugins and so forth. But Ill keep working on it. I would also like to see the number pad keys assigned to scene launching

I will say if you are only using vst plugins and 1 scripted controller, you will probably have a blast. I just wish my hardware needs could be handled smoothly and easily.

melodyz
KVRist

Re: my first thoughts on Bitwig 3

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 pm

I just made an fx chain also very cool. cant save it in the demo to make sure it works. But Im also wondering is there a way to replace an instrument in the chain and keep its modulation routing etc? Probably not but a cool idea.

codec17
KVRAF
1522 posts since 14 Feb, 2010

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi melodyz. I hope it still works so try it.
About saving in demo mode. If you made a clip in arranger or launcher. Drag that clip to your browser. Make a map called: BITWIG DROPS or something. (thats what i did) And drag it over there for the time being. So its not really lost, and when you fire the demo up bitwig again, you got yourself some bits and clips.I made a bunch like that in version 1.0. So your FXchain is in there to when dragging back. ;-) (note: NAME the clip. + tempo if relevant ;-) )
Works even with groups... (so a bunch of clips beneath each other.)

Your question about replacing, Well you thought it yourself. Nope.
But I hope theres somebody who got a workaround for that. Sometimes im flabbergasted with certain solutions that poeple find.
Anyhow. Happy bitwigging!

JHernandez
KVRian
590 posts since 7 Dec, 2017

Post Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 pm

If you don't know already, you can filter out some of what you don't want to see in the pop-up browser for each tab. (right click in the pop-up browser) You can also create "Collections" for your plugins.

For example, I filtered out everything I could, made my Collections (Instruments, Delays, Dynamics, ect) and so I go right to my collections, clutter free. I also I set up the right side browser how I like it, set up everything else I'd typically start a project with and saved it as a template. 1 time and done.

My pop-up looks something like this.
example.png
The search is pretty good too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JH

antic604
KVRAF
3004 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:26 am

melodyz wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:43 pm
I cannot understand why external instruments are such a pain to get their audio back into a DAW. I can hear everythrough my audio interface which resides in my keyboard but you have to go through a lot of hurdles to get that midi data back into audio.
I thought that's what HW Instrument is for? It sends out MIDI data from the sequencer track and receives back audio from the external synth, so from user's perspective it looks and works like any other instrument, native or VST. It's actually less complicated than with other DAWs, where one usually needs two tracks to accomplish the same.
melodyz wrote:
I cannot understand why external instruments are such a pain to get their audio back into a DAW. I can hear everythrough my audio interface which resides in my keyboard but you have to go through a lot of hurdles to get that midi data back into audio. I wish someone would somehow create a bounce external instrument to audio option. Not sure how it could be done but Im sure someone will figure it out. It would be like sampling what the DAW hears without having to change all the outputs in also turn off the Direct Audio Monitor on the synth and so forth and so on. Again this is a problem with every DAW.
Just set the input of any given track to your synth's audio output and you can record it. Or use Audio Receiver to the same effect.
melodyz wrote:
A few other things that are a little messy on the eyes is the browser - trying to find my plugins and stuff in all the mess is not easy on the eyes - I like that its there, but its not how I like things sorted. Fl Studio wins on the sorting stuff. Please Bitwig make it easier to find my stuff - maybe once we favorite something we can resort it in a special menu that always shows up first
You gotta understand the layout - it goes left to right, drilling down to more detail along the way. First up you have your own collections (things you 'favorited'), then developer (Bitwig, NI, Waves, etc.), then tags, and - depending on what you choose on the tabs up top - devices, samples, presets. In the top-left corner there's pretty clever search bar as well, that can help narrow down the results.
melodyz wrote:
One thing I cant understand why any DAW doesnt do this is allow all 16 midi channels to pass through a single instance of a midi file. Its always 1 channel or nothing. When you own a Yamaha keyboard you need all those channels in one place. I can of course set up 16 tracks and link them to each channel and then group them so there is that.
You can have separate MIDI data for all 16 channels in single MIDI clip - just switch to the CHANNELS view in top-left corner of the MIDI editor and also set the right channel options in the Inspector panel for the track.
melodyz wrote:
I think the price is a little steep when it sounds like development is ongoing. So I would have to keep investing in it to get cool features. Not sure if that is what I want to ultimately do until I know it has everything I want and need.
This is hillarious. Is this your first paid software? Or do you only own those that are complete, finished and don't require any further development? If it's the latter, please point me to a DAW like Cubase or S1 but that also has native modulation system, bulit-in modular synth/FX, touchscreen profile, hybrid tracks, clip launcher, etc. etc. because for me every DAW should have those and is incomplete and lacking basic features for making music! :dog:
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

SLiC
KVRAF
4227 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:40 am

Yes, HW Instrument device is great - just select the midi out and the audio in and you are done...now it’s like having your hardware as a VST in Bitwig, check out all of the midi devices as well!
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

melodyz
KVRist

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 am

Thank you for your feedback here folks. I am going to try your suggestions. As far as the price I just mean that its expensive to upgrade over and over. I want to make sure all the functionality I need is there before investing

antic604
KVRAF
3004 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:50 am

melodyz wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 am
I want to make sure all the functionality I need is there before investing
Is there any other DAW that has ALL the functionality you need? If so, stick with it but I'm 100% sure there isn't, especially now since you found out what Bitwig offers :)
Bitwig 3 // Reason 10 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

SLiC
KVRAF
4227 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 am

melodyz wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 am
Thank you for your feedback here folks. I am going to try your suggestions. As far as the price I just mean that its expensive to upgrade over and over. I want to make sure all the functionality I need is there before investing
You never have to upgrade, you only upgrade when you choose...if you buy new anything that comes out in the next year (even major updated) is free anyway...
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS V3, StudioOne 4, Cubase 10, Live 9 suite, X32 Desk. , DM12, Odyssey, P8, Virus TI, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

codec17
KVRAF
1522 posts since 14 Feb, 2010

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 am

melodyz wrote:
also the Montage Connect (Vst3 plugin) isnt supported here either for some reason. The drag and drop does nothing.
Is it from Montage to Bitwig? If on PC try run bitwig as administrator. (i ve got the same with my samplebrowser resonic pro)

Return to “Bitwig”