I'm done with Waves, they just gave away a FREE plugin!!!

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
FarleyCZ
KVRian
833 posts since 26 Jun, 2008 from Czech Republic

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am

Well I would prefer, if there wasn't a one big button with "update all my licences" on it, that removes the old plugins first and only then it realizes it can't install the new one as you haven't paid for WUP. ...or if that happens, if I could simply re-install the old licences the same way I can install the new ones without a hefty 4GB download.

BERFAB
KVRAF
6162 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Re: I'm done with Waves, they just gave away a FREE plugin!!!

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 am

The OP has a point. It's a good plug. It's free. It's a nice thing to do.

I have a bunch of Waves plugs, most from v. 9, but a couple from 10 and 11. As someone else pointed out, they are generally well engineered. I have never WUPed, and don't intend to as long as they keep working in my versions of Windows and Cubase.

Waves used to be the gold standard. But technology and competition caught up to them. Many of the included plugs in most DAWs are now top notch. 3rd party plugs are also competitive.

Where Waves stuff used to be my go-to for a lot of things, I now have some really great alternatives.

And so... WUP is a pain. And the version/legacy stuff is a pain.

How much pain (if any at all) should a customer be asked to endure before they walk across the street to the competition?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

imrae
KVRian
858 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:15 am

rasmusklump wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 am
No its not. If I only need to update because the old OS doesn't work anymore I don't need the new features.
And yes I think it is ok that there has to be paid something.
If Steinberg released a full-price upgrade for compatibility with no new features they would be brutally roasted here and people would be loudly enquiring about alternatives.

pottering
KVRian
771 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 am

Plus you get 6 extra wavesshell DLLs for free too!

[edit: don't hate Waves, just couldn't resist the joke, sorry]

Return to “Effects”