Best delay ATM? EchoBoy or Valhalla Delay?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:33 pm True, but how do you modulate filter cut-offs, tab positions, distortion/chorus, reverb, parameters, etc. from within the plugin?

PSP 608 has an LFO and an envelope follower. Ok, they can only be used for filter cut off modulation, but still.

I just think this is one of the few areas where LR could still be improved, even though this might actually prove to be a bit more difficult, especially with 3rd party effects.
There could also be global HP/LP filter knobs in the main GUI, otherwise it's literally perfect.
Having said that, i don't use it all that much and reach for regular single or dual tab delays most of the time unless i want to make rhythms or melodies from single stabs.

@nathanj: i used to think the same regarding the 608 before i tried Late Replies. not that it's bad now in all of a sudden, it's just that the latter is just way more advanced
Agree - Late Replies is a complex beast and I am fine to use their external modulation system, but it is not what I use for a simple delay either.

foosnark wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:54 pm
nathanj wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 am Slightly off topic, but anyone have any opinions on multitap delays?
I haven't used them in the software world, except for playing with Ubermod a little. I never felt the need for them honestly.

I had an Intellijel Rainmaker for a while. It's probably the most sophisticated delay in Eurorack -- a 16-tap delay with adjustable levels, panning, granular pitch shfiting, and filter per step plus various groove options and feedback options, plus a 64-tap comb delay (more macro control, less individual control) either before or after it. I mostly felt like the 16-tap delay was too much mucking around for not enough reward, and used it mostly just to add additional flavor to resonant comb delay stuff. And then I sold it.
I like multitaps when you can change the parameters of multiple taps at once, rather than manually choosing each one. It wasn't deigned as a mutitap delay, but the 4 simple delay taps in NI's RC48 reverb (Softube's take on Lexicon 480L) opened me to this possibility.

Why does the Bucket-500 just work on everything? Like even on material I dont want a BBD delay or something cleaner or simpler i reach for it out of habit and it just works on whatever setting I have it on. VahallaDelay is similar although I often get lost in the tweakability especially the difference in the diffusion and size settings it's hard to settle on a choice.
Polaris and Deleight are both super underrated from Audiority, especially after they release Echoes and Plexitape.
d-16 has like 3 or 4 different delays but Repeater with it's different models is so easy to dial in.
I think I'm starting to settle in on plugins that limit my options anymore because i get lost in sound design.

Also Kilohearts delay can become something amazing when combined with snap heap and all they're other modules.

Last but not least Modely but Klevgrand is super cool and experimental.

Both Valhalla and EchoBoy are great and must-haves. They both have their differences when you want to get deep into creating with delays (more modulation with Valhalla, more rhythm/movement with Echoboy).
Lately I've been very impressed with MCDSP EC 300. It truly shines in many different ways and it works with pure digital magic (no cpu usage)
When it's something simple, I always go to Replika XT. It just sounds so good to my ears.
When playing guitar, I always end up with Audiority Plexitape or Echos T7E. It's what I used when I was younger and love the sound.
Other more sophisticated solutions are the D16 repeater or their multi-delay unit, as well as the PS 608 or their echo and delay pedals, including their lexicon renditions.
You can't go wrong with any of these. :tu:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

50$/€ delay... HY-, Tritik or Valhalla??? Which one to choose? Or any else?
Last edited by U-o on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yzcoruhT

i like u-he's Colour Copy a lot

sleepcircle wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:51 pm i like u-he's Colour Copy a lot
It's 69€
yzcoruhT

OH, sorry, I didn't fully understand that 50€ was your upper limit. I apologize.

sleepcircle wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:25 pm OH, sorry, I didn't fully understand that 50€ was your upper limit. I apologize.
No problem. I downloaded a demo. Thanks.
yzcoruhT

For me still Replika-XT by a country mile.
Then Valhalla Delay and then..... do not need anymore really.
But Replika-XT sounds just better as any delay i ever used or demoed.
Funny, my third choice would be maybe now there free Raum which can do nice delays as well.

How much better is Replika XT than Replika?

Inversion Of Control wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 am How much better is Replika XT than Replika?
No comparison. Try the demo:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... load-demo/

NEMBRINI

Return to “Effects”