Do you use single or dual component vst3 architecture, and why?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic

Which VST3 architecture do you prefer?

Single component
73%
Dual component
27%
Both
No votes

Total votes: 11

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

I hope to get a little insight into the best practices of vst3 development. I know that Steinberg kindly insists on using the dual component architecture (AudioEffect+EditController), while other respected sources, e.g. Will Pirkle, advocate for the single component one (SingleComponentEffect).

I'd like to gather some real-world statistics and hopefully hear about your experience with either approach.

I don't use VST3 directly anymore (so this info is hopefully out of date :D) anyway I switched to single component as some hosts, including Steinberg's, couldn't be relied on to always pass parameter changes between components

IPlug uses single, IPlug2 uses single for non-distributed builds.
My audio DSP blog: earlevel.com

Tried dual the first time I build our VST3 adapter. Didn't work out really well. Switched to single component and worked like a charme.

I use the modern dual-component architecture because it encourages you to use a cleaner design. And a cleaner design, especially in the realm of concurrency, pays off in terms of reducing the number of defects (bugs) you will have to deal with.

"Separation of Concerns is one of the most important concepts that a software architect must internalize"

https://medium.com/machine-words/separa ... 735b703a60

Thank you, guys, I appreciate your input!

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”