New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P
indeed, the choice of every bank manager who will learn to play when he retires... :hihi:
A bit snooty and snobby comment... but I suppose there's some truth to it.
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

Cap'n Spanky wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P
indeed, the choice of every bank manager who will learn to play when he retires... :hihi:
A bit snooty and snobby comment... but I suppose there's some truth to it.
my bank manager actually has one on his wall in the office. i asked if he played and he said hes looking forward to retiring to learn. :P

it was just a joke based on my one experience.
in truth, there are a lot of guitarists who's work i enjoy that use strats. it's just not really a sound ive been looking to use personally 8)

offtopic: Strats did many thing right for guitarist (although they were not neckthru like the very first original Les Paul in early 40s)

Probably the single most innovative guitar nowadays is the Strandberg (a great successor to Steiberger).
Steinberger were also quite innovative in the late 70s early 80s), both headless (Ned Steinberger and Ola Strandberg are actual Design Engineers).

innovation isnt always necessary though.
some things work. innovating them just means adding more pointless bits that can go wrong.

did the world need electric windows in cars?

dont get me wrong, im no luddite stuck in my ways, but i need to see the point.
as an example i really like the idea of your pashkuli kb, it's different enough that as you say, it's a new instrument.

your more traditional kb with the wavy keys, i cant see why it offers a better experience? rather than just being a change for the sake of innovation.
i am happy in any event to be proved wrong :)
ie, im not saying it doesnt improve the experience, im saying it's not apparent to me how!
Last edited by vurt on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pmdid the world need electric windows in cars?
FFS yes!

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:33 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pmdid the world need electric windows in cars?
FFS yes!
lazy bugger!
winding them down by hand is the only excercise truckers got!

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:36 pm
FFS yes!
lazy bugger!

Well that and wanking over images of Sam Fox whilst doing in the hitch-hiker...

But no.
Electric windows were not needed and Evil Dragon is WRONG!

Erm... this instrument looks pretty nifty btw.
Last edited by dark water on Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dark water wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:36 pm
FFS yes!
lazy bugger!

Well that and wanking over images of Sam Fox whilst doing in the hitch-hiker...

But no.
Electric windows were not needed and Evil Dragon is WRONG!
:o :lol:

dark water wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pmElectric windows were not needed and Evil Dragon is WRONG!
Prove it. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:50 pm
dark water wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pmElectric windows were not needed and Evil Dragon is WRONG!
Prove it. :P
well, now we no longer get to see that weird face people used to pull as they wound down the window.
or getting in to a friends car on a hot day to find the handles have been replaced with mole grips after he got angry trying to open his windows.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pm your more traditional kb with the wavy keys, i cant see why it offers a better experience? rather than just being a change for the sake of innovation.
i am happy in any event to be proved wrong :)
ie, im not saying it doesnt improve the experience, im saying it's not apparent to me how!
If you are willing to share your age, experience with keyboards (not asking whether or not a keyboard player), just a small info about your motivation to Music, I can explain it (maybe in a PM, as this will be somehow offtopic).
But let me warn you it may contain heavy geeky stuff, related to design, physics, tech. and humour.

many years, including a few years in a couple of touring bands

my motivation in music is really, to do my own thing. at my age, ive put all the idea of fame and fortune aside, music these days is more of a therapeutic self indulgence.
not saying im wholly original or anything, just that i have no real interest in "building" an audience as such. yeah, if people like it, that's nice, but if they dont, not an issue.

happy to receive information, even if i might not understand the more geeky techno bits :)
but you should share with the forum.
im sure others would be interested.
maybe a different thread?

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm offtopic: Strats did many thing right for guitarist (although they were not neckthru like the very first original Les Paul in early 40s)

Probably the single most innovative guitar nowadays is the Strandberg (a great successor to Steiberger).
Steinberger were also quite innovative in the late 70s early 80s), both headless (Ned Steinberger and Ola Strandberg are actual Design Engineers).
Funny, my two main electric guitars are a Stratocaster copy (G&L Skyhawk. More of an upgrade than a copy, as it was designed by Leo himself) and a Steinberger GM4T. The fact that a bank manager wants a Stratocaster only speaks to how the Stratocaster was plain and simply one of the coolest guitars ever made and it really changed the face of rock music by making an affordable and quality alternative to what Gibson or Gretch were offering. Since bank managers are notoriously uncool, it’s no surprise that they’d go for what is well known as being one of the coolest instruments ever. What would you expect? An accordion? :lol:

To bring it back home, I’m not saying that everyone should like the same types of instruments that I do. What a boring world that would be. What draws me to the Osmose and Rise is that they finally seem to be making synths with the same kind of expression options that I feel are inherent to the electric guitar. The control is in your hands. When I really got seriously into synths, I picked up an Ensoniq TS-10. As a guitar player, the polyphonic aftertouch just seemed “correct.” I honestly had no idea that it was a fairly rare thing. It seemed as no-brainer as a tremolo bridge. When I sold the TS-10 to branch out, it took a while to realize what was bothering me about other synths. Not only were many lacking aftertouch, but they definitely didn’t have polyphonic aftertouch. I probably should have kept the TS-10, though my experience with one recently has told me that the aftertouch mechanisms don’t last forever. I’m happy that now I’m not alone in wanting this kind of expression and companies are finally coming up with things like the Osmose. I hope it’s a trend.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yes, that is correct. As I mentioned the curvy standard design was meant to be "an open source" design ~15 years ago but no one seemed to had any interest in it back then (I even sent it to some big sharks, just to got the envelopes returned intact; guess they had no idea what "open source design" meant in a non-software connotation).

Let's start from front to back of the keys with main functionality related to: vibrato, pitch bend interval control, velocity/pressure, single-touch-double-action, transitions/transpositions, chord structure, uniform appliance from any root note to any shape/chord/interval (though the standard piano layout has its insurmountable limitations here), slides, to name a few.
note: we will be using generic rendered images to save time on my end
Rounded forces.jpg
This is with regards of the question "Why the rounded shape and not the flat one".
The obnoxious line in light colour is the contour of your deformed fingertip. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For the rounded gap between the keys that is actually quite useful and why it is useful, please look at the following picture.
note: this would be limited on the standard piano keyboard layout, because between B-C and E-F you can get only a "min. second" interval; on any other two white keys you'd get a "maj. second"... but you won't be able to use that on black keys.
!You can use all these features only on Pashkuli keyboard, regardless of the root note!
Rounded forces gap.jpg
The obnoxious line in light colour is the contour of your deformed fingertip. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”