NI Massive still worth buying ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually prefer the workflow, and UI, of Massive X. Massive sounds great but its UI comes from an era with lower resolution screens. Creating patches from scratch in Massive X is more fun IMHO.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

I love original Massive's performer modulation. Also, it's so easy to program because I already so used to it. Maybe look into Komplete Select, it also has Monark and few others.

As a synth on its own the mod system in massive is pretty great, but the possibilities become so much more when you start using DAW automation as well.
:borg:

I think so. Massive has a certain character that many call “plastic,” (including me) but I consider that to me part of its charm. So many people and developers are tackling the “analog” sound, that I fear that we’ll discard synths like Massive for no real reason. It’s just a different flavor, and an equally good one. That said, if you don’t like it, move on. There are tons of other synths out there that offer alternatives to Massive, but none that really sound like it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Synthman2000 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am The downside to Massive and its update Masssive X is that I have never been very impressed with its FM capabilities. Although I am after a certain texture of FM normally and neither works very well to my ears. This may be down to not enough effort, for perspective I mean 2 hours worth of playing around and not making a single worthy FM lead sound. You can get some FM like textures from the filter and LFO (Massive original) but it never holds up to other synths. I have yet to make a single usable FM sound with Massive X with either modes so far so I use my tried an trusted ones.
I don’t think the FM in either Massive or Massive X was meant to replace a proper FM synth. This is where FM8 comes in to save the day! It would be nice if they made a super synth to cover both properly.
:borg:

I agree Massive X has a character, and part of the character is rather chameleon like, in good way you cannot quite pin it down but it works very well with the sounds it is good at. In fact I would like to see a chameleon counterpart to Gorilla mode. :clown:

i think original Massive still worth buying, it's still unique synth with a very own character and very deep options for sound design
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Massive is different from Massive X. it's an inspiring instrument, like Largo, and I somewhat prefer them to more modern WT synths that -imo- lack personnality.

Now a synth is only an instrument. I often heard that Massive was harsh sounding, only good for EDM etc. Actually it's just what you make with it. Below, some examples of the Wave Grooves soundset. Not your typical Massive patches, but well ...

Wave Grooves 3
Wave Grooves 2
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I think a lot of older synths can get new life with just a versatile EQ plugin
and distortion unit. Massive pads to me benefit from some bass or low-mids boost,
and a wee bit of saturation. Making some good effect chains in a multi-fx unit
can save some time learning each synths own effects. The preset browser is
pretty good, so picking a top 50 sounds to work from shouldn't
be hard. Grundge, squwobbles, pads, bells, flutes, Massive covers a lot of sounds.
As mentioned above, it is what you make of it.
Cheers

I have Massive (the original version). I got it and Kontakt a few weeks ago. Nothing beats those sounds in there, not just EDM sounds, the presets Swan and Brass Model work surprisingly well for other genres too.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

glokraw wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:03 pm I think a lot of older synths can get new life with just a versatile EQ plugin
and distortion unit.
As mentioned above, it is what you make of it.
Cheers
+1. One of my go-to FX for any synth (vocals, drums and whatnot) is Waves' TG12345 channel strip from the Abbey Rd. series - loads of lovely 'analogue' character, wouldn't want to miss it.
Dunno what to make of Massive X with all the other fish in the sea these days (I spent a lot of time with Synthmaster One lately, more than with SM 2.9 and didn't miss much else for my EDM vibes - serious bang for the buck IMO).

I think Massive is still definately worth getting - especially at the discounted price! It has it's own sound character and doesn't sound "out-dated". It mainly depends on the sounds that you are using, EQing etc. The only thing that might not appealing you very much is the GUI. But this is also a matter of taste, I guess :)

TheUplifter wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am I think Massive is still definately worth getting - especially at the discounted price! It has it's own sound character and doesn't sound "out-dated". It mainly depends on the sounds that you are using, EQing etc.
I'm not saying that that is necessarily wrong. I just wonder if you ever have heard anyone saying that a Moog depends on the sounds you are using, and the EQ you are applying. ;)

If a synth needs some special sound design, and EQ'ing to sound decent, it's the wrong synth for me. Of course you have to use effects at some point, to make way for other sounds, or to make some sounds stand out, when you dial in sone treble, but, everytime I hear the argument that you can make any synth sound good, I wonder why I would want to waste my time with that. I'd rather use something which sounds good to me, than try hard to make it sound good. Waste of time for me. YMMV.

Return to “Instruments”