New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pashkuli wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 pm Yes, that is correct. As I mentioned the curvy standard design was meant to be "an open source" design ~15 years ago but no one seemed to had any interest in it back then (I even sent it to some big sharks, just to got the envelopes returned intact; guess they had no idea what "open source design" meant in a non-software connotation).
i know its just a hobby for you, but if you really want it to catch on, id suggest getting a few made and getting them in to the hands of people. that way it's a proven concept, the bug companies arent going to risk finances in something that might flop (those says are behind us, where companies took chances).

the boutiques are where you are most likely to gain some traction.
but getting a few well known players, trying it out, could not only bring it to the open but also with feedback the design could be tweaked :)

(not me, im just a fool on the internet, but theres people like himalaya, who would give you a competent player and some honest feedback :) )

regards the second pic, rounded sides...
that, i can see as a possible interesting technique, rocking between the two keys, the curve may give a different reaction to normal keys.
probably not going to be useful for everything, piano might be a bit odd, but for some specific sounds it could be useful.

Some extra features for slides. The ability to press two adjacent keys with one finger is and can be quite beneficial for certain type of chords and especially their inversions (standard keyboard is severely limited in that).
chromatic slide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pressed black key. Transitions and direction for slides, movement, simultaneous action on both keys.
pressed-transition.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And pressed white key...
pressed white key.jpg

And one of the reasons for the bulged convex shape at the back of the keys...
longer arm.jpg
Also you can control vibrato/pitch and slide at the narrow back of the keys (where they raise smoothly) even when pressed. On the standard keyboard this would be limited if possible at all.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Cap'n Spanky wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P
indeed, the choice of every bank manager who will learn to play when he retires... :hihi:
A bit snooty and snobby comment... but I suppose there's some truth to it.
my bank manager actually has one on his wall in the office. i asked if he played and he said hes looking forward to retiring to learn. :P

it was just a joke based on my one experience.
in truth, there are a lot of guitarists who's work i enjoy that use strats. it's just not really a sound ive been looking to use personally 8)
Fair enough... :) I might have been a little overly touchy, since I'm a retired CPA and I prefer Strats. :oops:
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

Cap'n Spanky wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:13 am
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Cap'n Spanky wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:52 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:18 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P
indeed, the choice of every bank manager who will learn to play when he retires... :hihi:
A bit snooty and snobby comment... but I suppose there's some truth to it.
my bank manager actually has one on his wall in the office. i asked if he played and he said hes looking forward to retiring to learn. :P

it was just a joke based on my one experience.
in truth, there are a lot of guitarists who's work i enjoy that use strats. it's just not really a sound ive been looking to use personally 8)
Fair enough... :) I might have been a little overly touchy, since I'm a retired CPA and I prefer Strats. :oops:
:hug:

you proved the rule wrong though by being cool 8)

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:36 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:33 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:26 pmdid the world need electric windows in cars?
FFS yes!
lazy bugger!
winding them down by hand is the only excercise truckers got!
actually windows with handles probably cause more distractions then power windows...especially with a cell phone in one's hand
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:53 pm I'd suggest getting a few made and getting them in to the hands of people. that way it's a proven concept, the big companies aren't going to risk finances in something that might flop (those days are behind us, where companies took chances).

The boutiques are where you are most likely to gain some traction.
but getting a few well known players, trying it out, could not only bring it to the open but also with feedback the design could be tweaked :)

People like himalaya, who would give you a competent player and some honest feedback :) )
Building one is not really motivational to me as I spent the last three years completing my Pashkuli keyboard and as I said, the curvy design with the standard layout is an "open source", anyone can have it, being they home enthusiasts (like I am) or a big shark like Yamaha, Roland, even Nord or some Chinese manufacturer (actually the latter that is what I am inclined to do, but it is just an idea for now).

The only thing I would require is "to not screw it up" as I have seen with many other things.

I do not know who are the boutiques. Seems Nord is such a boutique (I contacted them maybe 7 years ago, maybe more... no reply whatsoever). Or is Kurzweil maybe a boutique, I do not know.

himalaya seems competent member of KVR, but he has different understanding on basic concepts, terms and Music in general.
With that said, I also think that the way we write music is absolutely corrupt, clumsy and inherited by bad practices (related to church influence back in those dark, medieval ages).
Last edited by Pashkuli on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

:dog:

More like :bang: I think

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”