OT: Question for developers selling their plugins via FastSpring

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been going around in circles with FastSpring about this question so I thought I'd ask here for those of you who use their service: how do you handle product updates?

When a customer purchases through FastSpring they are sent a receipt with a download link to the current plugin file stored on FastSpring's server. If/when you (the developer) upload a new version to that file (bug fixes, etc.) how do you distribute that update to all the customers who bought it previously?

The original download link "times out" after 7 days and there is no means, AFAIK, to bulk notify customers of an update with the new file.

So, if you are selling your plugins via FastSpring how are you distributing product updates?

We don't send the download links through Fastspring anymore. We built a user area where customers can download the latest versions hosted on our server. When a user buys something, our database is updated with the transaction and they get an email with a simple "sign up or log in".
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am We don't send the download links through Fastspring anymore. We built a user area where customers can download the latest versions hosted on our server. When a user buys something, our database is updated with the transaction and they get an email with a simple "sign up or log in".
Did you use some plugin to build a user area? :)

I to deliver downloads via my website.

audiothing wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am We don't send the download links through Fastspring anymore. We built a user area where customers can download the latest versions hosted on our server. When a user buys something, our database is updated with the transaction and they get an email with a simple "sign up or log in".
Audiothing and Youlean - thank you for the replies.

Yes, I suppose the correct way to do this is to use the advanced features of FastSpring to set up a "front end" for order processing and distribute the files from my own server. Will have to study up on FS, HTML and Java to get his done. Seems odd to me that FastSpring doesn't have built-in means for this as a software "retailer".
Last edited by Fender19 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted - double post

Youlean wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:59 pmDid you use some plugin to build a user area? :)
No plugins, just PHP, MySQL, and a lot of patience :D
Fender19 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:24 pmSeems odd to me that FastSpring doesn't have built-in means for this as a software "retailer".
They had something, not sure if it's still available, but it was a complete mess. Having your own user area has lots of advantages. The less you depend on external services, the better.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

audiothing wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:32 am We built a user area where customers can download the latest versions hosted on our server. When a user buys something, our database is updated with the transaction and they get an email with a simple "sign up or log in".
I'm this approach for my upcoming synth also.

My setup is Firebase for user authentication, and a Node.js server with a mongodb database to keep track of sales.

audiothing wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:13 pm
Youlean wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:59 pmDid you use some plugin to build a user area? :)
No plugins, just PHP, MySQL, and a lot of patience :D
That doesn't sound like a fun... :lol:
You did a great job BTW. :wink:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”