Your Number One (and why)?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CapnLockheed wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:06 pm
T.W. Doyle
Very warm and gracious guy. Got to meet him a few times. I knew his bud and somtimes jamming partner Jimmy Vivino, (who went on to play in Conan's house band). Met them both through Jimmy's brother Floyd. Some of you may remember the Uncle Floyd show.

One of the characters from that show used to jam with me and my buds and Floyd and crew would often show up at my friends record store Looney Tunes in Wayne, NJ.

Jimmy and Tom played in store several times.....two massively talented pickers!
The store owners went on to form the band Dramarama with Blondie drummer Clem Burke. They didn't take off in the States but became huge in France for a time.

Anyways......sorry to go so off topic! I have way too many guitars but, like the OP, I often gravitate towards my Hagstrom. It's an FP-200 set neck, P-90's, trem....kind of like the bastard love child of an SG, (also play my SG a lot!), and a Strat. This is someone else's but mine's identical.

I tried one of those. The fretboard is flat like a classical guitar, no radius to speak of, iirc. Felt weird, but sounded fairly unique.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

acousticglue wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am My Grosh Electrajet w mini buckers. Has strat, has bucker, has creamy and when cranked has snarl. Great neck
Pics or GTFO
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:15 pm
acousticglue wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am My Grosh Electrajet w mini buckers. Has strat, has bucker, has creamy and when cranked has snarl. Great neck
Pics or GTFO
Yep. Them’s the rules...

I'm a telecaster guy. got about 7 or 8 of them. If I could only keep one it would be this one.
Big ol U shaped neck, lightweight ash and Don Mare pickups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ESP NT II retrofitted with a evertune bridge and Lundgren M6 set pickups and drop d. Really brutal. :tu:

If I could only keep one of my guitars, I'd sell my Les Paul Traditional Pro III and my MIJ Strat and keep my Hallmark 65 Custom. It's built better than guitars costing 3 or 4 times as much, it plays better than any other guitar I've ever tried and it can cover any type of music.

The new custom strat build is my baby. It was built to replace my old '97 strat plus...with some upgrades for more versatility. I loved my plus, but this is so much more versatile and plays even better...hence my new #1!
kellycaster-6x8.jpg
Specs (for those interested)
Warmoth chambered strat (metallic black cherry finish...it's actually much darker than the photo would lead you to believe). Alder body & top (with f-hole). Standard c-shape maple neck, compound radius (10-14") rosewood fingerboard with MOP dot inlays/side markers. Satin finish. LSR roller nut and Sperzel staggered locking tuners. Wilkinson bridge (semi-recessed rout).
920D Custom wiring harness/pickguard. It's a 7-way switching system accessed by push/pull volume pot. 3 way toggles for the bridge and neck pickups. Lace Sensors all around...Blue/Gold Dually at the neck, Gold in the middle, and Red/Silver Dually at the bridge. TBX for both tone pots. Front and middle pickups go through Tone 1, and Tone 2 is rear pickup only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
--
Pooter | Software | Akai MPK-61 | Line 6 Helix | Dynaudio BM5A mk II

Lace Sensors for the win.

It's funny I hate alumitrons but I love lace sensor tone.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

kelldammit wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:27 pm The new custom strat build is my baby. It was built to replace my old '97 strat plus...with some upgrades for more versatility. I loved my plus, but this is so much more versatile and plays even better...hence my new #1!
kellycaster-6x8.jpg

Specs (for those interested)
Warmoth chambered strat (metallic black cherry finish...it's actually much darker than the photo would lead you to believe). Alder body & top (with f-hole). Standard c-shape maple neck, compound radius (10-14") rosewood fingerboard with MOP dot inlays/side markers. Satin finish. LSR roller nut and Sperzel staggered locking tuners. Wilkinson bridge (semi-recessed rout).
920D Custom wiring harness/pickguard. It's a 7-way switching system accessed by push/pull volume pot. 3 way toggles for the bridge and neck pickups. Lace Sensors all around...Blue/Gold Dually at the neck, Gold in the middle, and Red/Silver Dually at the bridge. TBX for both tone pots. Front and middle pickups go through Tone 1, and Tone 2 is rear pickup only.
nice :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

my current number one is a mexican strat upgraded with seymour duncan little 59 on neck duckbucker in middle and little JB at bridge. (otherwise known as the "everything axe" setup.)

my original number one is an Epiphone S800 super strat from the late eighties in white, the humbucker is replaced with one I stole out of a Dean Cadillac in the early 90's, and the single coils I replaced with lace sensors. did so many gigs with that guitar, but it has a horrible steinberger tremolo unit that has broken in the same way that all steinberger tremolo units have broken. One of these days, I'm going to either rout it for a Floyd Rose, or figure out some way of making it fixed bridge.

I've had a few electric and acoustic guitars, but here are my number ones:

2002 Gibson SG Special Faded - My roommate had accidentally stepped on the body and the control cavity broke, so he traded it to me for my PlayStation3. I brought it to Mike Lull Guitar Works and they fixed it up with the control plate from an SG Deluxe. While they had it, they convinced me to Plek it, which was the best guitar decision I have ever made. The SG Special Faded has an ebony fretboard, and with the Pleking, it plays so smooth up and down the neck. It's just so great.

Martin J-15 Mohagany Jumbo - This thing is the warmest, biggest sounding Martin ever made. I had an LR Baggs put into it and it just sings so wonderfully. Don't let those strings get dead though, it's not what you would call a bright guitar to begin with, lol.

Return to “Guitars”