which LOUDNESS METER

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:53 pm
ENV1 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:05 pm So if you really want to give it a shot, (which i assume you were trying to do), my recommendation would be......
Thanks but I just remember using FreeG quite some time ago and thought I would check it out again.

I've got Youlean Pro so I'm good to go...... :tu:
Alrighty then. :)

Anyone else interested who doesnt want to go through Sonalksis and their 'manager', there is a 1.1.0.0 installer on VSTPlanet, which is one version below the one im using. It contains VST and RTAS formats, plus the manual. (All selectable.) Scroll down and click the second (right) 'here' for direct download from VSTPlanet.

BTW, funny how KVR (and some other sites that apparently copied it from here) have FreeG categorized as 'dynamics/compressor/limiter'. This should have been corrected years ago since FreeG neither limits nor compresses. Its an excellent high-precision-meter with a -120dB to +18dB gain fader and thats it.

PS: I found another set in one of my VST stuff folders, namely 3.0.0.0. With this set 'Save as Default' is already non-functional too, so it would seem that all versions released by 'Sienda New Media Technologies GmbH' (i.e. 3.0.0.0+) have this problem*. Another fine example of an 'updated' plugin actually being a step backward compared with the older version.

(*Theoretically it could have been fixed after 3.0.2.0, but i have no idea what the latest version is since im fine with 1.1.1.0 and dont need a newer version.)

The key is to pick one meter - doesn't really matter which one - and get very used to it. In my pro (mastering) work the main loudness meter I use is simply Reaper's master meter configured to show RMS in a way that's useful to me. One of the main reasons is because it's always visible - because it's not a plugin I don't have to keep opening and closing it and re-positioning it etc.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am The key is to pick one meter - doesn't really matter which one - and get very used to it. In my pro (mastering) work the main loudness meter I use is simply Reaper's master meter configured to show RMS in a way that's useful to me. One of the main reasons is because it's always visible - because it's not a plugin I don't have to keep opening and closing it and re-positioning it etc.
WIse words. I imagine alot of KVR folks in general do not get used to tools they already have and are always in search for something new that is on sale. Why not to spend 7/24 (well ok less hours) with what you have, i bet some people would be surprised of what they can achieve with just a little bit of input :)

Elektronisch wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 am
do_androids_dream wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:21 am The key is to pick one meter - doesn't really matter which one - and get very used to it. In my pro (mastering) work the main loudness meter I use is simply Reaper's master meter configured to show RMS in a way that's useful to me. One of the main reasons is because it's always visible - because it's not a plugin I don't have to keep opening and closing it and re-positioning it etc.
WIse words. I imagine alot of KVR folks in general do not get used to tools they already have and are always in search for something new that is on sale. Why not to spend 7/24 (well ok less hours) with what you have, i bet some people would be surprised of what they can achieve with just a little bit of input :)
Yes, use what you have - learn it and make it useful to you - to the way you work. I realised a good few years ago that the key to so many things in audio work is having a solid reference point - a solid 'base' from which to make decisions that are meaningful. I work in the same room, from the same position, with the same speakers.. same everything lol, day in day out. Once you have a set up that you like, that works for you, this actually frees you up and you can start just using your ears to tell you 99% of what you need to know. Yes, I have my master meter there but I don't actually look at it very much these days because my ears tend to guide me. Quick glance at the meter to confirm and that's it. Yeah, the key is getting used to what you have - a solid reference point from which to make decisions.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Certainly use what you have but what's wrong with looking for new tools that might work better, that might make you better at what you do ?

That prevents stagnation not so much for meter plugins but for other plugins that either generate sound or modify it.

KVR was built on people looking for new tools to use in their music creation journey. Nothing wrong with either expanding or updating your tool set..... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:07 pm Certainly use what you have but what's wrong with looking for new tools that might work better, that might make you better at what you do ?

That prevents stagnation not so much for meter plugins but for other plugins that either generate sound or modify it.

KVR was built on people looking for new tools to use in their music creation journey. Nothing wrong with either expanding or updating your tool set..... :wink:
Nothing wrong with that certainly, but dont you see the pattern here that its not about really using the tools but collecting them ? :)

Nothing wrong with collecting. People collect stamps, coins, salt and pepper shakers, etc etc etc that don't really have much practical use.

I see a lot of people at KVR using the plugins they've collected. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”