Analogue vs. Software - blindtest

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

johnwoo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm Hardware is there , touch and play . I don't have Moog or Alesis Andromeda (wishful thinking) , but what I have has been good to me and give me beautiful moments .
+1

I love software but having any kind of key enabled hardware makes quite a difference.

teilo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:31 pm Bones, you realize you are responding to three-year-old posts, and so are basically taking to yourself?
my bad :cry: sorry about that but i guess it means
1 - he finds the topic interesting
2- he finds it so interesting he didn't even notice that

It is an old thread, indeed, but these comparisons made by Starsky Carr are still very relevant today at the end of 2019 because there is not much that has changed or evolved in the Minimoog emulations.
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

teilo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:31 pm Bones, you realize you are responding to three-year-old posts, and so are basically taking to yourself?
Yes, I noticed that after I had submitted it. I was going to scrap it but decided not to. I don't really understand why anyone would even be looking at a thread like this after three years so it never occurred to me to look at the dates on the posts.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

johnwoo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pmI think is how any of us is used to do things . I am in love with my Yamaha EX7 , my Korg Triton and my Korg M3 . Is something magic when I fire all three and start to improvise.
I'm sorry but I fail to see that at all. Those instruments, in particular, have nothing over software. They are all hard to access, hard to patch and incredibly limited compared to even the most modest ITB solution. There was a time when I thought that I could go back to my Trinity's sequencer but that changed a long time ago. Modern DAWs are so far ahead it's just not funny.
The same thing happened with the vst software but with less magic . Software is good but is always , play something , record , overdub , load another vst , play again.
How is it any different in hardware? The process is pretty much exactly the same with your set-up, only you have to jump through a lot more hoops to get there.
Hardware is there , touch and play.
Same with software. I turn on my PC, everything else powers up automatically (USB). I start Cubase and load a project in under a minute and it's all ready to go. I bet it's less time than it takes you to be playing. Plus, of course, if all I want to do is play an instrument, around half of mine have a standalone version so I can be up and running with those in seconds.

To be clear, I have both software and hardware and the hardware is many times more annoying to get up and running, to the extent that it is weeks since I bothered to turn any of it on. Even when I do turn i ton, I often don't end up touching it because it's too much effort compared to the immediacy of software.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Still, those devices are independent, you don't need a computer and a Midi controller. As soon as you have a power outlet, you are ready to play.

i'm gonna go against the grain here and say personally hardware is often less immediate, and much more hassle to write and record with than a modern daw, yet that can be part of the appeal: the extra steps of dialing or cabling in a patch manually, time spent figuring out optimal fx pedal routes to get that perfect tone through a tube amp etc. the process may be slower but for some that's where they find their creative zone. of course one can find inspiration in a purely digital process too. horses for courses right?

Anyone have the results? The link doesnt work

I just stumbled upon this video of a live performance of an old synth tune, and I like the way it sounds, so full and warm. Would be cool to hear the same tune done using plugins only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH2guTTyX8s

Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Interesting, but to my ears the hardware sounds clearly better, tighter and livelier somehow. But it might as well have to do with the patch programming and recording, who knows...

a personal favourite artist....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe4uslEufmM

Having said this i'm sure you can get something as interesting with software

...and if not with 1 pc and 1 controler something similar can be done with a few controlers and VST synths...
That also sounds epic just as it is, and each of his chosen synths has it's own sound and vibe, as do diferent vst's, i just doubt many people have 1 or 2 PC's synced and playing VST synths with 5
Keyboards + 8 controling surfaces (Pads+knobs)

I too prefer or more quickly launch some synths over others, sometimes depending on what sound i want to create, other times the "timbre" or "pseudo-forte" of the synth, as other times, something i think software excels at.... just experiment

Now if he gets his tools and sounds, my humble desire is considering 1 synth + a couple hardware FX's (havent made my mind about it...) simple because when you go for a setup like this (like i said before) it escalates really quickly
5 synths + diferent FX pedals for each +....+.....

Doesn't stop me though from craving over times synths like, access virus, hypersynth, minilogue XD/prologue or behringer crave and if i win the lottery [not literally] :dog: a waldorf quantum :roll: :D
add to that, ventris, eventides, speculars and strymons! :scared:
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

trimph1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:45 pm Well, if anything, software synths don't need massive amounts of cooling and don't beat up your wallet with the electrical bills. Mind, that is with the older vintage synths. :hihi:
So you're running your computer on solar or wind power, I guess? Modern computers use anything from 200W to even 500W of power.

Most of my hardware uses about 30W on average, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more.
Last edited by DuX on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Also, I'm going to post a similar post that I've posted in some other forum:

It is not what you use that matters, it is how you use it.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Stop the analogue vs digital useless debate. :wink:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

e-crooner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:17 pmInteresting, but to my ears the hardware sounds clearly better, tighter and livelier somehow. But it might as well have to do with the patch programming and recording, who knows...
I think it is mostly in the mix, not anything inherent in the quality of the instruments. i.e. It's because Giorgio Moroder knows what he's doing, not because hes using a better set-up. After all, some of the other hardware versions sound much worse than the Zebra version.

Return to “Instruments”