I'm done with Waves, they just gave away a FREE plugin!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well I would prefer, if there wasn't a one big button with "update all my licences" on it, that removes the old plugins first and only then it realizes it can't install the new one as you haven't paid for WUP. ...or if that happens, if I could simply re-install the old licences the same way I can install the new ones without a hefty 4GB download.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

The OP has a point. It's a good plug. It's free. It's a nice thing to do.

I have a bunch of Waves plugs, most from v. 9, but a couple from 10 and 11. As someone else pointed out, they are generally well engineered. I have never WUPed, and don't intend to as long as they keep working in my versions of Windows and Cubase.

Waves used to be the gold standard. But technology and competition caught up to them. Many of the included plugs in most DAWs are now top notch. 3rd party plugs are also competitive.

Where Waves stuff used to be my go-to for a lot of things, I now have some really great alternatives.

And so... WUP is a pain. And the version/legacy stuff is a pain.

How much pain (if any at all) should a customer be asked to endure before they walk across the street to the competition?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

rasmusklump wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 pm No its not. If I only need to update because the old OS doesn't work anymore I don't need the new features.
And yes I think it is ok that there has to be paid something.
If Steinberg released a full-price upgrade for compatibility with no new features they would be brutally roasted here and people would be loudly enquiring about alternatives.

Plus you get 6 extra wavesshell DLLs for free too!

[edit: don't hate Waves, just couldn't resist the joke, sorry]

Reading all posts in this thread, I think it's a shame with yet another developer of very good music software losing sales because of complicated and probably unneeded installation and updating issues.

In case you're interested in solutions to this issue, we discussed it in another (non-Waves) thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=535211
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

pottering wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm Plus you get 6 extra wavesshell DLLs for free too!

Just tell us please: what is exactly the problem with 6 or 60 WaveShells? Not enough disk space for them?

2:43AM wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 am Here's how I look at Waves plugin:

90% of their plugins are (or will be at some point) $29.99. They are coded well, work well, and sound good. Don't bother thinking about the resale market; it doesn't exist for Waves plugins. Don't bother thinking about WUP nor consider doing WUP unless you're some super-critical sound studio that can't afford one hiccup in an install process and/or Windows/Mac update. Just think about using a plugin that's cheap, sounds good, and will probably help your mix and creativity. You buy it for yourself...to help yourself.
I agree with all of this, except for the "work well", "sound good", and "will probably help your mix and creativity" parts.

So let's see...that leaves:

1) Cheap
2) Coded well

Oh wait...WUP cancels out #1, if you own for more than a year.

So, any time I need a well-coded plugin that sorta sounds OK, doesn't really do much of interest in most projects, leaves me uninspired about whatever it was trying to do or emulate, and will cost too much to justify (if I want a current version/installer) -- WAVES TO THE RESCUE!!! :clap: :party: :tu:

OK - so I'm being a little harsh. Their metering plugins are OK, because they don't affect the sound (much?). :hyper:

On the other hand, if I could have known (years ago) how much time would be wasted trying to learn about classic analog gear using Waves emulations - the joy of real progress!! I'm shaking my head and laughing (only not inside)... That's all right, because some day I'll be nostalgic for all those slightly narrow & flat sounds that I attributed wholly to my lack of experience & ability to hear the right details. Thank you to Apogee for bundling those Waves plugs with my interface. That's what started the whole mess.

Such a grand life

{meanwhile...}

Ooooooooooooohhhhh!! Waves just released another *FREE* plugin!!! :borg: :borg: :borg:

Infinite5ths wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:01 am So let's see...that leaves:

1) Cheap
2) Coded well

Oh wait...WUP cancels out #1, if you own for more than a year.
Am I stupid? I don‘t understand this WUP cancels out...
I have Gold from W9 and they still work like on the first day and there is most likely zero difference to Gold from W11...
In the past they had some upgrade obsolescence built in, but sine W9 this seems to be gone. In the past you could find a bigger version in a sale cheaper than an official upgrade, but even WUP prices seem much more realistic now. (Pluginboutique has a lot of those absurdities which make me laugh: newest version £6, upgrade your version for £149...; - )
Maybe you need to WUP your brain?

In all seriousness, they did an unbelievably shady, crappy thing now:

I was just about to pick my free plugin:
You may choose any Waves plugin listed at $29.99 during the time of the promotion as your free one.

Only to find that the list consisted mainly of a few super-old plugins, the One-Knobbers, the JJPs and stuff like that - Nothing I have any interest in. So I contacted their support and here is the reply I got:
The free plugin you choose can be from any that are priced at $29.99 whenever you choose

[…]

During the Cyber Monday sale, the prices for plugins we much lower than regular prices, therefore there were more plugins that were offered at $29.99

Now that the promo is over, the discount on the plugins is lesser
Huh? So the promo is over now and they say "listed at $29.99 during the time of the promotion " - it seems they tried to fool people and be extra smart yet worded it so poorly that their shabby trick makes no sense at all.

Shabby and shady. :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

i have wave plugins, i do not care about the wup. the gold bundle, for instance, i bought it for $50 or so in a sale (via audiodeluxe me thinks), and 11 (or so) others, in sale, of course, 1+1 free, or for $23 via audiodeluxe... or free, 3 free..

tip: upgrade gold to gold-renMAXX, for $24,12, with code: GIFT10, it will be $14,12....

disclaimer: i am on windows, i do not have to care.. but upgraded for $14,12, nice deal.. wup was expired, for months. didn't care, but this, is nice.

i use them, i like them.

i agree that the strategy can be frustrating, but look at plugin alliance... or paid updates for the top synths..
my strategy is the sale strategy....

Hah! An internet forum persona who thinks the brain is analogous to a plugin... :hihi:

You can't make this stuff up, folks. :clap:
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:27 pm Maybe you need to WUP your brain?

Which brain :?:

jens wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:03 pm Huh? So the promo is over now and they say "listed at $29.99 during the time of the promotion " - it seems they tried to fool people and be extra smart yet worded it so poorly that their shabby trick makes no sense at all.

Shabby and shady. :shrug:
Absolutely disgusting. I almost fell for that promo, I was considering a purchase. Nothing in their wording presented it like this, it's a bait and switch.

What about today's promo:
Raises all prices by $10
Sends email: Here is a $10 gift for you, take advantage today!
Now you can buy the plugins at the same price they were yesterday using your new $10 gift code

Waves is unhinged. Anyone supporting this stuff needs to feel some shame.

They train our cerebrum
Calenberger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 pm
Which brain :?:
The brainstem? Though to not get into those traps, better downgrade. Its cheaper...

I thought the online community had decided that stems-mastering was snake oil. :hihi:
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 am They train our cerebrum
Calenberger wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 pm Which brain :?:
The brainstem? Though to not get into those traps, better downgrade. Its cheaper...

Return to “Effects”