2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:59 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:47 pm
rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:35 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:30 pm Does the WAVE do that?
Wave? :o :lol: :lol: What's that Dave?
Behringers new mixer, recorder, control surface. Don't think its available just yet but there's lots on youtube about it.
wing? :ud:
Oops

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm I'm about to plop down $1500 on TT patchbays. Yes, $1500 for patch-f**king-bays.
Eek!

rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:10 pm I'm thinking a mixer is way too big for the space I have available hence I mentioned rack gear. I'd love a mixer for live jamming and stuff but If I'm wanting to record then a USB interface like that Behringer pictured above plus the ADAT might be better for me. I have other signal processors to consider too like the Lexicon MX400, TC D-Two and the DBX stuff. I'd need a mixer with at least 4 aux and they're not cheap.
In 2020 I'll go all out on the RME stuff but for a quick fix over the new year I want something to get me Jamming again. :tu:
for a quick fix I'd def go the behringer combo , if your plans are to really go for it in 2020 then maybe think about going this way...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/midas_m_32_c.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_x32 ... 826a64baec

As my "present" needs are much simpler... I'll leave it to you to do the research... :P

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm I'm about to plop down $1500 on TT patchbays. Yes, $1500 for patch-f**king-bays.
Eek!
yeah... just what I thought....
I'm cheap>> simple TRS does me...

BTW, is TT same as Bantum plugs?

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm Rob, I still think your best option is to use an audio interface with sufficient I/O to cover all your needs.
Thanks Justin that's the route I'm going down. Iv'e sort of fell in love with Elektron gear again for some reason those parameter locks and hands on fun are what I need. I spotted a nice Analog Heat MKII as well, been watching some videos I love the sound it gives to synths so maybe I'll pull that trigger tonight once I chose an audio interface + adat.

I'm also just wondering, I have x2 Novation Circuit Mono stations here (which I love) wondering which way I should use these with the Elektrons?

toonertik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:40 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:12 pm
Eek!
yeah... just what I thought....
I'm cheap>> simple TRS does me...

BTW, is TT same as Bantum plugs?
Yeah... :scared:
I thought I would always prefer 1/4" patch bays. They are cheap and you don't need adapters to connect gear to the jacks on the front. But when I was about to order my 6th, I realized they take up way too much space. Since each TT patchbay has 96 points, I can get the same amount of patch points in 3u by going with TT/Bantam. But I will need a bunch of DB25 breakouts and repatching everything is gonna be a lot of work. Ugh!
This is the cheapest TT patchbay I could find which has DB25 (not solder tabs). https://www.redco.com/Redco-R196-D25PG- ... chbay.html

rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:52 pm Oh and I fancy this too

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/distortion-o ... EkQAvD_BwE
I found one second hand for £100 in Whitley Bay when I was down there in the summer ... the new price seems to have dropped considerably.

EDIT Didn't notice that's a sale price ... very decent.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm
justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm Rob, I still think your best option is to use an audio interface with sufficient I/O to cover all your needs.
Thanks Justin that's the route I'm going down. Iv'e sort of fell in love with Elektron gear again for some reason those parameter locks and hands on fun are what I need. I spotted a nice Analog Heat MKII as well, been watching some videos I love the sound it gives to synths so maybe I'll pull that trigger tonight once I chose an audio interface + adat.

I'm also just wondering, I have x2 Novation Circuit Mono stations here (which I love) wondering which way I should use these with the Elektrons?
You know me... total Elektron fan boy! I have a Heat and a Drive, they are both great and different enough that there isn't much overlap. The AH stays on my drum bus most of the time (balanced I/O FTW) and I use the AD for guitars and synths. I bet those Circuit Monostations will be a lot of fun with your AR and A4!

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 pm
Yeah... :scared:
I thought I would always prefer 1/4" patch bays. They are cheap and you don't need adapters to connect gear to the jacks on the front. But when I was about to order my 6th, I realized they take up way too much space. Since each TT patchbay has 96 points, I can get the same amount of patch points in 3u by going with TT/Bantam. But I will need a bunch of DB25 breakouts and repatching everything is gonna be a lot of work. Ugh!
This is the cheapest TT patchbay I could find which has DB25 (not solder tabs). https://www.redco.com/Redco-R196-D25PG- ... chbay.html
Don't forget you'll need these as well.
https://www.redco.com/Vertigo-TT-BURNISHER.html

https://www.redco.com/Vertigo-TT-INJECTOR.html
It's been years since I worked pro (wired up a massive patchbay when I worked for Trident on a larger A range) and, for sure most of the studios I worked had Bantum patchbays.. I still have some cables and, boy do they need a clean, while my cheap old TRS still shinny...

BUT yeah... Bantum is cool for size.

There was a time when I loved wiring studios... done a few biggies in my active time... all Topography really...
Yeah... life is a lot of hard work... ;)

Now I know to keep my system minimalistic...

IF that can be realistic...

:whisting: while trying to find the exit door... :hihi:

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm I bet those Circuit Monostations will be a lot of fun with your AR and A4!
Yeah I grabbed 2 of them last week when Novation had a sale, just wondering how to integrate them with the Elektrons? Ideas?

toonertik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm
Now I know to keep my system minimalistic...

IF that can be realistic...

:whisting: while trying to find the exit door... :hihi:
:lol:

toonertik wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm
Don't forget you'll need these as well.
https://www.redco.com/Vertigo-TT-BURNISHER.html

https://www.redco.com/Vertigo-TT-INJECTOR.html
It's been years since I worked pro (wired up a massive patchbay when I worked for Trident on a larger A range) and, for sure most of the studios I worked had Bantum patchbays.. I still have some cables and, boy do they need a clean, while my cheap old TRS still shinny...
I'm pretty sure that the patch bays and cables I'm getting don't have brass contacts, like they used to but I should check. :lol: Hosa definitely makes TT patch cables with nickle plated plugs.

rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm
justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm I bet those Circuit Monostations will be a lot of fun with your AR and A4!
Yeah I grabbed 2 of them last week when Novation had a sale, just wondering how to integrate them with the Elektrons? Ideas?
Well, you will probably want them synced up, and you may want to set them up so that one device initiates pattern changes for all of the others. I use my Octatrack to control all of my other sequencers, so it's setup to send MIDI Clock and Program Change messages. When I change the pattern on the OT, it sends program change messages to other sequencers to change their patterns (at least the ones that respond to PC messages). You should be able to do what you want with a MIDI Thru box or a decent MIDI interface. It might be cool to run one of the Monostations through the A4 but I would use normalled patch points for that kind of thing, rather than connecting them directly.

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm
rob_lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm
Well, you will probably want them synced up, and you may want to set them up so that one device initiates pattern changes for all of the others. I use my Octatrack to control all of my other sequencers, so it's setup to send MIDI Clock and Program Change messages. When I change the pattern on the OT, it sends program change messages to other sequencers to change their patterns (at least the ones that respond to PC messages). You should be able to do what you want with a MIDI Thru box or a decent MIDI interface. It might be cool to run one of the Monostations through the A4 but I would use normalled patch points for that kind of thing, rather than connecting them directly.
I do have an AKAI MPCX with a ton of connectivity.
  • 2 Midi Ins
    4 Midi Outs
    8 CV connections
Absolutely love the Q-Links, plenty of them and I was hoping to hook everything up so that the AKAI would be centrepiece of all my gear. I liked my Octatrack MI but I'm gonna have so much fun with the Analog 4 and Rytm. The Novations are just fantastic and record per step on the grid too. I even considered a second Analog 4 tonight for more voices but it'd be overkill..maybe :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”