TOYBOX --> release SYNTH BUNDLE available now!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
David@TOYBOX
KVRist
86 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 am

Just a random question: do polyphonic blocks use multiple threads / cores, or run as a single thread? Last time I checked, Blocks ensembles were heavy on CPU.
No, Reaktor does't use multiple threads (It's actually technically very difficult to implement multithreading in a modular emulation without adding delays to each connection). But if you run multiple instances of Reaktor in your DAW then the DAW will spread the load across cores.

The polyphonic blocks can be quite taxing on CPU though. This is due to the quality of the filters and oscillators and the fact that the whole modular rack is running always at audio rates with no latency, so that the feedback possibilities of an analog modular rig can be properly emulated.

So best to use the monophonic versions of the blocks unless less polyphony is really needed.

tl
KVRian
626 posts since 8 May, 2002 from ... , germany

Re: TOYBOX --> release SYNTH BUNDLE available now!!

Post Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:05 pm

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:26 am
Just a random question: do polyphonic blocks use multiple threads / cores, or run as a single thread? Last time I checked, Blocks ensembles were heavy on CPU.
No, Reaktor does't use multiple threads (It's actually technically very difficult to implement multithreading in a modular emulation without adding delays to each connection). But if you run multiple instances of Reaktor in your DAW then the DAW will spread the load across cores.

The polyphonic blocks can be quite taxing on CPU though. This is due to the quality of the filters and oscillators and the fact that the whole modular rack is running always at audio rates with no latency, so that the feedback possibilities of an analog modular rig can be properly emulated.

So best to use the monophonic versions of the blocks unless less polyphony is really needed.
Watching yr tutorial videos and making my own experiences with "quite taxing on CPU" I have some rather trivial questions: Do you use yr blocks at 44 kHz samplerate when producing yr own music? While building those blocks did you have a certain usage samplerate in mind?

Regards,
tl.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:24 am

Do you use yr blocks at 44 kHz samplerate when producing yr own music? While building those blocks did you have a certain usage samplerate in mind?
I usually work at 44.1kHz. The blocks all use low / zero aliasing oscillators and saturation modules and oversampling where needed so sound really good at 44.1kHz.

You can experiment with bouncing at higher rates in your DAW. There's an oversampling menu in the top right corner of the window which allows you to oversample the whole rack up to 4X the current rate of your DAW.

Edrec
KVRer
13 posts since 18 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:46 am

Using the blocks at 44.1 here, filters and oscillators sound amazing.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:14 am

Great :)
Last edited by David@TOYBOX on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

David@TOYBOX
KVRist

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 am

Here's a cheat-sheet for the various functions of the Piano Roll block, videos to come..

Edrec
KVRer
13 posts since 18 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:04 am

Nice! :)

Return to “Instruments”