Yikes, Omnisphere just crashed my whole computer...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never seen this happen before! Using Omnisphere in Bitwig 3 (Windows 10). It was the only instrument loaded, I was just switching presets, and the preview got stuck so I tried to switch to other presets and it was frozen. Then poof! Computer encountered problem and needed to shut down.

That's a bit scary, anyone seen this happen?

I don’t own Omnisphere so don’t know about that, but I have had experiences of the entire machine crashing on Windows when doing something relatively innocuous like change presets.

My assumption would be a bug that impacts the contents of memory that Windows needs access to so that it can operate correctly.

Does Spectrasonics have a method to submit bugs? Maybe you should do that as it might then be fixed in a future update.

Bitwig 3.1 beta? Since they are experimenting with graphics gpu, it might cause nasty crashes.

Nevet had any issues with omnisphere, actually I think it's one if the most stable plugins I've ever used, never froze/crash etc.. and quite fast preset loading time.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:11 pm Never seen this happen before! Using Omnisphere in Bitwig 3 (Windows 10). It was the only instrument loaded, I was just switching presets, and the preview got stuck so I tried to switch to other presets and it was frozen. Then poof! Computer encountered problem and needed to shut down.

This kind of thing happens to my PC all the time. I’m assuming there’s a combination of Windows being a badly designed, wretched, frail baby, and some hardware weirdness. Can’t be bothered to care anymore.

Check your hardware for faults, if possible. Power supply undercurrent, I/O device faults (Windows is a particular baby when I/O issues are concerned, such as drives... but also including networking), audio interface issues... anything that plugs in, pull it out and try to run for a while without it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I don't own Omnisphere but my Win10 Reaper crashes half dozen times a year, usually due to me using some freebie plugin. Given I use Reaper about 900 hours a year, that's pretty good. Whole computer crash? Never. My PC is custom built though.

I don't think there is any way you can state that Omnisphere crashed your system it could be literally anything from hardware to software

You can check in Windows Event Viewer to see if there are hints as to what happened there.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:11 pm Never seen this happen before! Using Omnisphere in Bitwig 3 (Windows 10). It was the only instrument loaded, I was just switching presets, and the preview got stuck so I tried to switch to other presets and it was frozen. Then poof! Computer encountered problem and needed to shut down.

How much RAM do you have?
One recommendation, when changing sounds, let a sound load completely before clicking to load another.
Loading sounds too quickly can cause Omnisphere to crash.

Bippo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 pm Nevet had any issues with omnisphere, actually I think it's one if the most stable plugins I've ever used, never froze/crash etc.. and quite fast preset loading time.
Quite the opposite for me. Omnisphere 2 has been my most unstable synth since the beginning. I experienced a few different bugs/crashes, some would occur each time in a certain configuration (ex: loading omni in my usual ableton template project, and activating the arpeggiator would crash my ableton everytime), others more occasionally (ex: twice, while playing with presets, a sudden burst of noise occured, going up to +50db, could have killed my speakers and/or ears - they both survived thanks to a limiter). And others...

Anyway, that was quite frustrating, especially for the price. It runs stable for me since 2.6 though (2.5 was a nightmare). With my other synths (uhe, NI, arturia, TAL etc), i had near 0 bug.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

To answer a few differetn questions above:
-I'm using Bitwig 3.0.3, not Beta.
-At the time I was plugged into nothing, just using built-in realtek sound on my laptop. Not a single bit of hardware attached.
-I have 16 gb ram.

I'm thinking some kind of overload happened after I tried stopping the preset being loaded by selecting another one.

Omnisphere has been usually fairly stable however the Keyscape sound sources are very unstable. Actually I'm pretty sure it was a preset from the Keyscape creative library that caused this. I get crashes all the time using Keyscape in Komplete Kontrol. The creator of the KK libraries (freelance soundlabs) is aware of the issue with Keyscape and says Spectrasonics haven't been helpful when he reported it. And I know those crashes even happen using the keyscape library patches loaded in Omnisphere, so there is something sketchy with that library. But with KK it just crashes teh plugin. This was whole computer failure this time.

My PC machine hasnt crashed yet since 2013, neither has Omni for me, its mainly Live which crashes sometimes :P
If your machine did make a STOP, use https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed to see if it finds the culprit.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

With Bitwig? Yes, much more often than Cubase+Omnisphere. I wouldn't be too concerned. I think it is some Bitwig growing pains.

JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 pm

With Bitwig? Yes, much more often than Cubase+Omnisphere. I wouldn't be too concerned. I think it is some Bitwig growing pains.
Don't think so. Bitwig has pretty good sandboxing, protecting the program from crashing plugins. And since the Keyscape library crashes Maschine and Komplete Kontrol pretty often, I'm thinking that's where the issue is.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:55 pm
JoaquinAce wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Don't think so. Bitwig has pretty good sandboxing, protecting the program from crashing plugins. And since the Keyscape library crashes Maschine and Komplete Kontrol pretty often, I'm thinking that's where the issue is.
For me personally, Omnisphere has never been an issue when it comes to crashes. If it happens, it has only happened in Bitwig for me (comparing Bitwig, Cubase, Studio One and Ableton Live). But again, I use at least 32GB RAM

Return to “Instruments”