2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hahahahaa... listening now... :tu:

toonertik wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:00 pm hahahahaa... listening now... :tu:
just a bit of weird nonsense.
difficult to get stuff done with bandit on the knee and eyes up every patch cable :o :lol:

plaits is mucho fun though so far.
sounds like we are going to be very happy when i get more access :lol:

under the recent threads.. very apro title
:cheeky: vurt..

:D

toonertik wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 pm under the recent threads.. very apro title
:cheeky: vurt..

:D
well, some people said it was only fair if there where threads on the other side.
i see no reason to go totally offensive, is dead or sucks kind of thing :shrug:
just innocuous, and as a beardy, a bit of fun :hihi:

totally...

FUN...
:hug:

i think i need to add more "motion".
to the machine i mean, find myself running out of lfos/envelopes etc quite quickly.

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:28 pm i think i need to add more "motion".
to the machine i mean, find myself running out of lfos/envelopes etc quite quickly.
Do you have a coldmac? They are great for turning a single LFO into 8 separate variations,
and you can do much other stuff with them to boot. :tu:
*You can use envelopes too, but they will all be triggered at the same time.

pekbro wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:52 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:28 pm i think i need to add more "motion".
Do you have a coldmac? They are great for turning a single LFO into 8 separate variations,
and you can do much other stuff with them to boot. :tu:
*You can use envelopes too, but they will all be triggered at the same time.
nope. never heard of it!
will have to have a look cheers 8)

The cold mac looks interesting...
other modules I use that maybe of interest, both from noise engineering.
1 https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-eng ... -clep-diaz
2 https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-eng ... -digitalis

and in a similar vien to cold mac (next expansion, I might get one)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac306
also available from thonk as DIY.. :shrug:

Vectorman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm from looking at a chart of RT latency tests on various interfaces, it appears one can get anywhere from 5 to 7ms less latency from a MOTU or RME interface at a given buffer setting. With the MOTU Ultralite AVB being only around $300 more than the Behringer, I think I'm leaning that way for my next interface.
For "only around $300 more" you could buy two of the Behringer... in fact I think I paid $250 for mine :)

Not sure how those latency tests are set up, but I routed a click through Bitwig FX Grid out through my UMC1820 to an Expert Sleepers ES-3, back into an ES-6, mixed it and timed the latency between the original click and the return. I'm getting 8.0ms (353 samples at 44.1kHz) with an ASIO buffer size of 64 samples. I'm not sure if going through ADAT & the Expert Sleepers stuff adds any appreciable latency.

That's plenty fast enough for me...

On another note, has anyone actually gotten their hands on a Zoia? Does it make sense to even have one in a system that includes a DAW and lots of software effects anyway?

'cause I started reading Pedal Crush, and there was a feature about Empress and some stuff specifically about the Zoia, and I kind of wonder if I should give it a try.

I'm also thinking about selling off my Dark World for a Paradox Arquitecto. I have lots of delays that can do retro-sounding, dubby, swampy stuff but that one seems to have a specific character to it and I'm tempted to stick it on the Lyra. I'm honestly not using my Dark World that much.

As far as modular goes I'm not going to make any changes for a while, but I've started thinking about how I don't use Contour very much anymore with the kind of music that I make -- and that kind of envelope isn't hard to dial in with Stages anyway, or even a Bitwig module. So I'm pondering a Zadar instead :D

@ vurt:
Mistletoe for quality time with your hoover?

foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 pm On another note, has anyone actually gotten their hands on a Zoia? Does it make sense to even have one in a system that includes a DAW and lots of software effects anyway?

'cause I started reading Pedal Crush, and there was a feature about Empress and some stuff specifically about the Zoia, and I kind of wonder if I should give it a try.
I have a ZOIA, it sounds really good, to me.

It has enough power to do a surprising amount within a single patch. That said, I mostly use it to do pretty basic stuff. The simplicity of creating and routing signals is one of its biggest strengths. That also makes it much more useful as a desktop box, than on the floor.

At the risk of promoting one of our own products ( :lol: ), ZOIA pairs very well with our Pacer. I've also had a lot of fun sequencing ZOIA from my Octatrack, while using it to process audio from the OT. I'll try to do a demo video if I can find some free time.

spam!!!! :lol:

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:13 am I have a ZOIA, it sounds really good, to me.

It has enough power to do a surprising amount within a single patch. That said, I mostly use it to do pretty basic stuff. The simplicity of creating and routing signals is one of its biggest strengths. That also makes it much more useful as a desktop box, than on the floor.

At the risk of promoting one of our own products ( :lol: ), ZOIA pairs very well with our Pacer. I've also had a lot of fun sequencing ZOIA from my Octatrack, while using it to process audio from the OT. I'll try to do a demo video if I can find some free time.
Cool. I think I might wait on it though... the interview hinted as the possibility that Empress might do desktop and/or Euro format versions of Zoia since so many people use them on a desk anyway. Would be nice to have buttons instead of stomp switches, and maybe DIN MIDI and Euro-compatible CV...

I've tried to use expression pedals with my rig before, but the dog curls up under my desk on top of whatever I have down there :lol:

I did just jump on an Arquitecto though. I find I can't quite get that range of sound with my current gear and plugins, though I found some other fun stuff trying.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”