2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 pm
Vectorman wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm from looking at a chart of RT latency tests on various interfaces, it appears one can get anywhere from 5 to 7ms less latency from a MOTU or RME interface at a given buffer setting. With the MOTU Ultralite AVB being only around $300 more than the Behringer, I think I'm leaning that way for my next interface.
For "only around $300 more" you could buy two of the Behringer... in fact I think I paid $250 for mine :)

Not sure how those latency tests are set up, but I routed a click through Bitwig FX Grid out through my UMC1820 to an Expert Sleepers ES-3, back into an ES-6, mixed it and timed the latency between the original click and the return. I'm getting 8.0ms (353 samples at 44.1kHz) with an ASIO buffer size of 64 samples. I'm not sure if going through ADAT & the Expert Sleepers stuff adds any appreciable latency.

That's plenty fast enough for me...
I wish I could get away with working at 64 samples - I'm always asking too much of my CPU for that to be doable. So yeah, anything that provides less latency at 128 or 256 would be a boon for me.

Actually, another cost-effective alternative that I'd forgotten about is getting an RME Digiface and then adding analog I/O as needed via Behringer ADA's or anything else that can pipe in via ADAT.

At any rate, it's great that we have so many choices at different price points now. When I started out, I think about the only "affordable" reasonably pro-quality interface was a Digidesign Audiomedia NUBUS card that offered 2-in/2-out at 16-bit for around a thousand dollars. And of course I was constantly having to stop and shovel more coal into the steam engine to keep the gear powered up. :wink:
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Well the Analog Rytm MKII just arrived, looks amazing BUT they sent a Euro plug with this FFS :roll: Guess for tonight I'll try it out with the A4 power supply to test.

Looking forward to many nights of fun house & techno with all this gear..

The Rytm is an incredible synth... I might buy a second one!! hehehehe

I'm really torn over the AR. I love Elektron stuff and everything I've heard from it is great but I also really like the sound of the Jomox AlphaBase. I don't have space for both.

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm I'm really torn over the AR. I love Elektron stuff and everything I've heard from it is great but I also really like the sound of the Jomox AlphaBase. I don't have space for both.
Google “shelf”

I’m here to help :D
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm I'm really torn over the AR. I love Elektron stuff and everything I've heard from it is great but I also really like the sound of the Jomox AlphaBase. I don't have space for both.
Iv'e played with the AR for the past 2 hours Justin.. this thing sounds top notch.. I'm gonna feed the MC-707 through it to sample some stabs n stuff. Infact I'm gonna feed a shit load through both AR and A4 just for the FX lol.
A good investment I think.. They're really big machines compared to MKI

Justin, about the Analog 4 MKII I have a question.

I was looking for a second Analog Synth with 3 oscillators and seen the Polyend Dreadbox Medusa for £603 new. But... would it be overkill to just invest in a second Analog 4 MKII for more voices and keep it all in the box? I could buy either one tonight but wouldn't x2 A4's just be the same old? Think I could have a powerful Techno setup with the gear I have here.

Rob

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 pm
Google “shelf”

I’m here to help :D
:lol: Thanks... but I think I may have already reached peak Kallax!
I do most of my drum sounds with eurorack percussion modules, using my Octatrack for sequencing. But I'm starting to feel the need for a dedicated drum instrument, which doesn't require patching. That way I can reserve the euro modules for elaborate sound design and still have something focused on basic (but quality) drum sounds.

I really love the sound of the MBase and MBrane voices on the AlphaBase but I'm more familiar with Elektron sequencers and I feel like the ARmk2 is generally more flexible. I also briefly considered a Vermona DRM (I'd use it with my BeatStep Pro) but I need me some P-locks! Maybe I'll go with the AR and get the ModBase/MBrane euro modules.

Of course there is also the Soma Pulsar-23... I don't think I will be able to resist temptation for long, on that one. I'm gonna need a bigger boat. :scared:
Last edited by justin3am on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob_lee wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 pm
Justin, about the Analog 4 MKII I have a question...
As much as I would love an Analog4 with 8 voices, I wouldn't get a second one. It would just be too much effort to use them both together. I frequently use it's CV track to sequence my 0-Coast or MiniBrute. I think it's nice to have a monosynth with it's own sound, patched through the A4. And since the A4 can now send MIDI out from the sequencer (honestly, I haven't really tried that, since I have an OT), there are more synths that you can use with that type of setup. I should try sequencing my Nord Rack 2 with the A4 and run it through the A4's filters!

I made this hideaway keyboard tray, cost like $15 to make. If you build it, any synths can have a place to sit :) just saying...
KeyboardTray.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 pm I made this hideaway keyboard tray, cost like $15 to make. If you build it, any synths can have a place to sit :) just saying...KeyboardTray.jpg
Yeah, that's something I have been considering.
I have one of these: Image
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kallax-wor ... s19046550/
My OT/A4 and MiniBrute/RackBrute take up most of the table top space but I could install a sliding shelf underneath....

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:47 pm
Justin, about the Analog 4 MKII I have a question...
As much as I would love an Analog4 with 8 voices, I wouldn't get a second one. It would just be too much effort to use them both together. I frequently use it's CV track to sequence my 0-Coast or MiniBrute. I think it's nice to have a monosynth with it's own sound, patched through the A4. And since the A4 can now send MIDI out from the sequencer (honestly, I haven't really tried that, since I have an OT), there are more synths that you can use with that type of setup. I should try sequencing my Nord Rack 2 with the A4 and run it through the A4's filters!
I miss my Nord Lead 4's.. I could get a Nord Lead 4 rack now (ex Demo) for £900 but for another £29 I get a brand new A4 MKII hence I'm torn lol.

OR THIS

https://www.thomann.de/gb/polyend_dreadbox_medusa.htm

Woo hoo! My Behringer Crave has been shipped - says I will get it on Monday next week, but generally delivery date is overstated, so maybe I will bet it on Saturday or Sunday...

Forgotten wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:14 pm Woo hoo! My Behringer Crave has been shipped - says I will get it on Monday next week, but generally delivery date is overstated, so maybe I will bet it on Saturday or Sunday...
Enjoy! I was thinking about getting one. Looks like you'll have shit loads of fun with it :tu:

Justin, about the Analog 4 MKII I have a question.

I was looking for a second Analog Synth with 3 oscillators and seen the Polyend Dreadbox Medusa for £603 new. But... would it be overkill to just invest in a second Analog 4 MKII for more voices and keep it all in the box? I could buy either one tonight but wouldn't x2 A4's just be the same old? Think I could have a powerful Techno setup with the gear I have here.

Rob
I recommend you download and print out the manuals for the A4 and Rytm. I have found it very helpful for remembering the various key combinations when I have a physical printed copy right at hand.

I think the A4 is under rated as a synth. It is one of the most flexible analog synth architectures with polyphony available and very expressively playable.

I could get into a second A4. One for using the sequencer and one for playing from my midi controller.

There really aren’t any competing products available.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”