HHat Splash with Addictive Drums 2

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Rayzorxbass
KVRer
2 posts since 20 Nov, 2019

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Hello,
I am using AD2 for drums on my recordings and Digital Performer for my DAW. For drum kits I have the Indie kit, Studio POP kit, and Universal POP kit. For all kits I’m using the AD2 MIDI map. I don’t use an external pad or Virtual Drums, so I am writing my drum in the DP MIDI Editor.

One thing I’m struggling with is getting a decent Hi Hat splash. In the AD2 MIDI map section, I can see various HH strokes, and a section for changing the CC parameters. From reading about these in the AD2 manual, it seems to me like the CC parameters apply to external drums only.

Since I’m writing my drums in MIDI, Does anyone have advice on how to create a good Hi Hat splash?

Thanks!
Ray K

yellowmix
KVRian
1447 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Re: HHat Splash with Addictive Drums 2

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:02 pm

You don't need an external controller to use MIDI CC. I don't use DP but MIDI CC messages can be drawn/plotted in any DAW with a mouse/keyboard (like plotting mod wheel which is CC #1).

As for AD2, the positional controls are specific to which box a kitpiece is situated. You have optional CC control over snare, hihat, ride 1, and ride 2. If the kitpiece is not in one of those slots then you don't have CC control. And yes, you can load whatever kitpiece you want into a kit, but the selection for the Ride 1 and Ride 2 boxes are all, unsurprisingly, ride cymbals.

This is what you'll find in many drum instruments—in order to accommodate different types of kits (and map them to a standard MIDI layout), there may be a bit of orthodoxy in how a kit is arranged. Which becomes more apparent with the cajon kitpiece which must be placed in either the kick, snare, or flexi slot depending on which articulations you want.

Out of your list I only have the Studio Pop kit and the splash cymbal is Cymbal 5. It does not have positional control. However, the velocity control is quite good. Make sure you are using the entire velocity range from 1 to 127. 1 is still perfectly audible!

Rayzorxbass
KVRer
2 posts since 20 Nov, 2019

Re: HHat Splash with Addictive Drums 2

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Thanks for the info!
I’m not too concerned about using MIDI CC control. I’m really looking for ways to create a realistic sounding Hi Hat splash.

Return to “Instruments”