Overloud GEM Comp LA

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks interesting.
https://youtu.be/trXfUf9rpkw
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

really liking the GEM collection. i'm still waiting for oversampling settings in my GEM FET, but i'll bet this is one of the better LA's you'll find if you are in the market for yet ... another LA. trying to talk myself into it, but i have so many... lol

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 pm really liking the GEM collection. i'm still waiting for oversampling settings in my GEM FET, but i'll bet this is one of the better LA's you'll find if you are in the market for yet ... another LA. trying to talk myself into it, but i have so many... lol
The oversampling in the GEM670 is nothing to write home about. It's so bad I thought it was broken and emailed them about a possible bug in the implementation. They basically said they'd forward the suggestion about improving their implementation to the developers. Haven't tried the LA yet but honestly probably won't. The LA-2A in TrackComp sounds amazing and gets very close to my hardware clone.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 pm The LA-2A in TrackComp sounds amazing and gets very close to my hardware clone.
That's good to hear.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Yay. Another LA-2A.
More BPM please

Except that this models LA-3A as well.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Yay. Another LA-3A.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:11 am Yay. Another LA-2A.
dionenoid wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 am Yay. Another LA-3A.
:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I honestly wanted to love this and all other GEMs. I was really glad when the fairchild came out, and then I put a demo against some of the ones I already have and the truth is that, while sounding good, I couldn't justify paying for something that wasn't really that much better (or just simply better). In the end, I kept using the Slate one.
Last night I put this one next to the BRA LA2A and LA3A, so far my favorites along with DMG TrackComp, and couldn't once again justify getting it. Though it sounded slightly different, there wasn't any clear advantages for the habitual uses I put these guys on.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:18 am I honestly wanted to love this and all other GEMs. I was really glad when the fairchild came out, and then I put a demo against some of the ones I already have and the truth is that, while sounding good, I couldn't justify paying for something that wasn't really that much better (or just simply better). In the end, I kept using the Slate one.
Last night I put this one next to the BRA LA2A and LA3A, so far my favorites along with DMG TrackComp, and couldn't once again justify getting it. Though it sounded slightly different, there wasn't any clear advantages for the habitual uses I put these guys on.
One serious regret I have with the BRA LA series is their stubbonness in not wanting to add
an output trim and modelling the "R37" side-chain behaviour. That's where the Overloud and the DMG are one step above, functionalities offered for the price. So if one doesn't have the BRA plugs, one should go for the DMG or the Overloud in my opinion. :tu:

Still, I don't hear the same behaviour from the BRA and Overloud LA2A as the UAD plugins. They sound fatter, more organic and rounding/breathing than the others...hard to tell but there's a real difference to me. I have no experience with a real LA2A so that's juste my impressions in the software domain.

I demoed Gem Comp LA and compared it to the BRA VLA2A. I must say, Gem Comp LA can sound very close to VLA2A if you set "LF sens." to about 11 o'clock and "Harmonics" almost all the way up on the Gem. The calibration is about 3dB off between them. Not sure about oversampling; sometimes I prefer it set to "Ultra" and sometimes off.
To me it looked like Gem Comp LA had a rather cold reception compared to VLA2A, but in my recent experience they can sound close enough for government work.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:14 pm I demoed Gem Comp LA and compared it to the BRA VLA2A. I must say, Gem Comp LA can sound very close to VLA2A if you set "LF sens." to about 11 o'clock and "Harmonics" almost all the way up on the Gem. The calibration is about 3dB off between them. Not sure about oversampling; sometimes I prefer it set to "Ultra" and sometimes off.
To me it looked like Gem Comp LA had a rather cold reception compared to VLA2A, but in my recent experience they can sound close enough for government work.
Are you using 2As to clean up intelligence gathered from espionage?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:22 am
Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:14 pm I demoed Gem Comp LA and compared it to the BRA VLA2A [...] To me it looked like Gem Comp LA had a rather cold reception compared to VLA2A, but in my recent experience they can sound close enough for government work.
Are you using 2As to clean up intelligence gathered from espionage?
Lol... I can't wait for the clarification... :lol:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

Return to “Effects”