Christmas GAS: looking for a new synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I am a happy owner of Synthmaster, but this Christmas I feel like giving myself a treat, pure gas, and I am doubting among these Synth:
Dune 3, Pigments 2 € 99 (50% deal), Rapid € 109 (40% deal) Hive 2.
I am looking for presets, which inspire, simplicity / workflow, for general purpose.
Which do you think is worth the most? any suggestions?
The price does not matter (up to € 200)
"What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?"

Here’s my perspective:

u-he presets are pure (and very smart) synthesis lessons, Howard Scarr is probably the greatest synth designer in the world.

Rapid’s are nice too, but are often layers of samples and synthesis (typical Roland/Korg rompler approach)

The other two I don’t own.

You already have synthmaster so you don't really need other synths.. Maybe some physical modeling like chromaphone 2.

"Doubting" - don't you mean "considering"?

Anyway you will probably be quite happy with Rapid as a Synthmaster user. But you can't go wrong with Dune 3.

I have all 4, They are all very, very good.
But Dune 3 is a must have.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

dune3

It all depends on what genre or what type of sounds you are looking for.
More BPM please

cyrb wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:05 pm "Doubting" - don't you mean "considering"?
Anyway you will probably be quite happy with Rapid as a Synthmaster user. But you can't go wrong with Dune 3.
You're right. I'm sorry, my English is really bad, so I appreciate the correction.
My apologies for the inconvenience.
As a Synthmaster user, what would I like from Rapid?
dionenoid wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:33 pm It all depends on what genre or what type of sounds you are looking for.
I do a little of everything.
Space ambient, cyberpunk music (to put it in some way), industrial, Darksynth, Synthwave ...
Everything is useful at some point.
It seems that the Dune 3 is the clear favorite.
"What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?"

Obviously it is a bit inspired by Synthmaster (and Serum for that matter).

If you are looking for something 'powermodular' like Synthmaster... Zebra2 (updated recently, $199), and UVI Falcon is also on sale $244 (normally $349).

Also, Surge is $0. :roll:

All of these synths are good, but it is down to personal taste. try the demos (or lazily watch youtube :D ) and see which one excites you.

Synapse Audio also has a tiny little deal for Dune 3 (and The Legend). For the money saved you could throw in a cheap one like Soundspot Union or something. :party:

https://www.synapse-audio.com/shop.html

Chaosbolt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:01 pm I do a little of everything.
Space ambient, cyberpunk music (to put it in some way), industrial, Darksynth, Synthwave ...
Everything is useful at some point.
It seems that the Dune 3 is the clear favorite.
None of the synths you mentioned would be my first choice for darker or industrial sounds.
Do you have Serum ? Or Spire ? Much better and more used synths overall, but especially for darker sounds. Plus way more presets available for these synths.

On KVR ppl will generally mention the latest synth they bought. And since none of them asked what you were going to use it for it should tell you enough, don't take all these "recommendations" too serious. Demo for yourself, see what you like.
More BPM please

I think Icarus 2 is a must consider synth as well now- its also one of the very best- and on sale.
https://www.tone2.com/icarus.html
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Since it seems you're at the beginning of GAS and not yet full pedal...
I would suggest the free presets you get with AAS Swatches and Image Line Autogun. And like someone else suggested, download the free ones like Surge and Fathom Mono. Then maybe pickup AnalogLab Lite in the KVR buy/sell forum. (About $8?)

That'll get you a lot of presets and large range of synths to play with and give you better perspective to decide which direction you want to start down.

And then download the four you mentioned and demo until one clearly grabs you the most.

(My latest was Pigments. And just before that was RP Explorer. And I mostly use U-he. Although Hive2 is one I don't own. I also have the 1800 preset SynthMaster player. Which I rarely even open anymore.)

I'm not going to suggest anything because I don't want to fuel anyone's GAS.

But DUNE 3.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Another vote for Dune 3. :tu:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Instruments”