Q about chord patch, similar to a Juno 106

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I had a play with Roland's JU-06a yesterday in the local chop. Using the Juno 106 mode I had a really nice chord patch. Nothing mind-bending because hey, it's just a chord patch. I don't know how well I could re-create it if I went back today... Anyways, it was a triangle oscillator with the juno filter, along with the two chorus buttons and a sub-oscillator turned all the way up. As well, I had the "chord" button turned on.

My question has to do with the sub osc. What should a person expect if a synth like the JU-06a has a chord button and a sub-oscillator? Is it just the triangle osc that is being played in three pitches and the sub is one tone triggered by the root note being played? Or would each three pitches be triggering a different sub oscillator tone? My guess is the former. So when I try to re-create this kind of patch in a plugin, I'm not sure how to deal with this.
1. I'm demoing TAL-U-No-LX which replicates the Juno 106 but doesn't have a chord button. So when I play a 3-note chord and the sub osc is turned up, I guess each note is triggering its own sub-osc tone? I guess most people won't know the specifics of this plugin (or JU-06a for that matter).
2. If I use a different plugin for this chord sound and it doesn't have a sub-oscillator, what type of sound would I pair with the chord patch? EG synth #1 plays a three note triangle wave sound with filter etc, which synth #2 plays _________ ?

thanks

sluggo wrote:What should a person expect if a synth like the JU-06a has a chord button and a sub-oscillator?
I would expect the chord button to do the same as me playing that chord. So each of the notes gets a sub osc sounding. It's integral in the sound design. Chord button is just a playing assistant, not part of the patch.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I would expect that chord button to ring a bell (in arpeggio with three notes in the scale currently played), loud enough to recall my maid that it is tea time.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:19 pm I would expect that chord button to ring a bell (in arpeggio with three notes in the scale currently played), loud enough to recall my maid that it is tea time.
Should I map the bell to an LFO?

You can also try it in an other vst who has an chord function.

There is this website from where you can download analog waves for digital synths like serum.

https://www.dancemidisamples.com/articl ... ue-synths/

I've played with these waves form many times and with the right settings it comes pretty close to nice sounding.

sluggo wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:20 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:19 pm I would expect that chord button to ring a bell (in arpeggio with three notes in the scale currently played), loud enough to recall my maid that it is tea time.
Should I map the bell to an LFO?
There is a hidden feature for that.

Press the button, don't release it and wait. And after a few seconds you will hear an LFO appearing progressively.

Actually there are many hidden features in this awesome synth. That's why it is so versatile. But there is no real user manual explaining these hidden features... it is only by pressing the button again, again and again, that these hidden features begin to reveal themselves. You can't imagine how many times I have pressed this button and in how many ways during all these last months just to discover some of these hidden features !

Just for today I think I pressed at least one thousand times the button, even during the diner with my wife ! But no luck, today I didn't discover anything new...
But I'm happy.
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Return to “Sound Design”