iZotope Break Tweaker and Stutter Edit in 2020?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

commodore wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 pm I demoed the stutter edit this weekend, and wasn't impressed. Almost every effect just sounds the same to me. I bought glitch bitch and have been happy with that. The quality is better and has a much more broad range of effect sounds.
hm, they seem like two different types of plugs tho.
Stutter can be MIDI triggered, giving you access to plenty of different glitches instantly, and from what i can tell, glitch is single preset based?

Ploki wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:27 am
commodore wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 pm I demoed the stutter edit this weekend, and wasn't impressed. Almost every effect just sounds the same to me. I bought glitch bitch and have been happy with that. The quality is better and has a much more broad range of effect sounds.
hm, they seem like two different types of plugs tho.
Stutter can be MIDI triggered, giving you access to plenty of different glitches instantly, and from what i can tell, glitch is single preset based?
Well, it was the different glitches via midi I was testing. They were certainly all different and unique, but I just thought they all kinda sound the same to me for some reason. Maybe it was the filter sound it has, idk. Either way, I was very interested in buying the $50 bundle of breaktweaker and stutter edit, but found that even that just wasn’t worth it. If stutter edit goes to $10-20 I’d probably buy though.

metaside wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:25 am IMHO both are really cool plugins - dated yes, but there are no better full alternatives for a lot of what both do AFAIK.
Sorry to intervene here.

"Stutter Edit" had two famous predecessors (Glitch -free - and Artillery - paid -) and the tricks of BT :hihi: (Break Tweaker) are actually and without a doubt quite outdated nowadays.

Guess that's why Izotope sells them for a comparably fair price today. Which is, btw, the only concern I have with these two apps because I paid the ridiculously original list price. :cry:

e@rs wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Lamb, Moderat, FKA Twigs, Nero (2/3 = The Night), Eskmo, Tipper, Empirion (great comeback).
I know first 3 and love them! Also saw Apparat live this year. will check others, thanks

elassi wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 pm
metaside wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:25 am IMHO both are really cool plugins - dated yes, but there are no better full alternatives for a lot of what both do AFAIK.
Sorry to intervene here.

"Stutter Edit" had two famous predecessors (Glitch -free - and Artillery - paid -) and the tricks of BT :hihi: (Break Tweaker) are actually and without a doubt quite outdated nowadays.

Guess that's why Izotope sells them for a comparably fair price today. Which is, btw, the only concern I have with these two apps because I paid the ridiculously original list price. :cry:
Don't forget Glitch Bitch, which I have like a lot so far. I've also really enjoyed Glitch (free version) too.

elassi wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:04 pm
Sorry to intervene here.

I don't really agree with this. I have quite a few plugins that are created to do the same (starting with very old stuff such as LiveCut up to more recent plugins by Sugarbytes and others), but StutterEdit as well as BreakTweaker are still among the best alternatives to manual microediting. I like Glitch and most Sugarbytes effects as well, but StutterEdit is much more advanced imho.

The reason why izotope sells those plugins very cheap is probably very simple: every genre needs mixing and mastering plugins, but only a few genres are in need of plugin alternatives to manual microediting, partly since these aren't the most mainstream genres and many artists in these genres do microediting... well, you might have guessed it...manually.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

man i read all of this. (1) it should be quite obvious what OP means with "dated sound" no need to be snug. There was a time when the sound that the preset effects of Stutter Edit produces, was in 'everything' and now it just reminds you of that dub step wave (not saying you can't use it differently or subtely or its a bad plugin). (2) the songs OP posted are pretty mainstream poppy but how can you dislike Billie Eilish? The album is a really great pop album (imho) and Bad Guy is just catchy af.

On Topic: I actually also thought of picking this bundle up but all these VSTs with not updated UIs are just so hard to work with on higher resolution screens. Maybe I'll get it and see what I can do with it that's counter intuitive / different because, I got to play SE once, it is quite performative and fun but also powerful.

edit: some sentence structuring and stuffs

gExpectations wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 pm man i read all of this. (1) it should be quite obvious what OP means with "dated sound" no need to be snug. There was a time when the sound that the preset effects of Stutter Edit produces, was in 'everything' and now it just reminds you of that dub step wave (not saying you can't use it differently or subtely or its a bad plugin). (2) the songs OP posted are pretty mainstream poppy but how can you dislike Billie Eilish? The album is a really great pop album (imho) and Bad Guy is just catchy af.

On Topic: I actually also thought of picking this bundle up but all these VSTs with not updated UIs are just so hard to work with on higher resolution screens. Maybe I'll get it and see what I can do with it that's counter intuitive / different because, I got to play SE once, it is quite performative and fun but also powerful.

edit: some sentence structuring and stuffs
:party: thanks man!

Yeah GUIs are terrible, i run a HiDPI screen and they really look dated. On top of breaktweakers "winamp skin" look it's also blocky, but they're good and fun, just the presets are mostly useless and sound exactly as you described - about 80% of them

gExpectations wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:33 pm ...but how can you dislike Billie Eilish?
Guess I have a special talent.

Ploki wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:12 pm
e@rs wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Lamb, Moderat, FKA Twigs, Nero (2/3 = The Night), Eskmo, Tipper, Empirion (great comeback).
I know first 3 and love them! Also saw Apparat live this year. will check others, thanks
Cool! I saw Moderat live at the time they released their first album (they opened the Basement Jaxx show). It was the first time I heard about Modeselektor too (I already knew Apparat). Also, pay special attention to Tipper (imho 1001 times better at crafting music than the hugely overrated Transeau).

little update, since i bought it in december for cheaps, i find plenty of juice and use from BreakTweaker, sounds it ships with are great, sequencer is very good.

it needs an update tho, a bigger sequencer/interface, swing (!!), per sequence playback speed, easier sample browsing... good nontheless.
StutterEdit is also fun.

Both plugins are great and IMO do some really clever and uniqe things, BUT you do need to dig into them to get the best out of them. I agree with the posts above that BreakTweaker could do with an update, and it's sad that iZotope aren't likely to provide one (having to scroll the interface when programming is especially frustrating).

The presets that come with Breakwteaker are OK, though I would definitely recommend some of Plugin Guru's expansion packs. They're really inspiring. Here's a video he made after releasing one of them, showing how you can get swing out of BT with a bit of tweaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUXqNm6dqpg

FYI, in the recent SonicState podcast, BT announced Stutter Edit 2 would come out later this year.

commodore wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm If stutter edit goes to $10-20 I’d probably buy though.
Plugin Boutique does it at the moment...

Return to “Instruments”