Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pm Look it's really simple....those who have been suckered into paying extra for a Dongle to protect someone else's intellectual property even though their own intellectual property (music) created with that software can't also be so protected will always defend Dongles.

Those who have seen thorough that scam and refuse to buy a Dongle will always attack them.

Very rarely does anyone ever change camps. And the wheels on the bus go round and round.... :shrug:
I see, those refusing like piracy, the others are happy to leave the devs a fair share for their work. Same facts, different conclusion :wink:

Ploki wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm
rasmusklump wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm Are you on a mission ?
Maybe not enough useful work to do....
i'm bouncing stems, takes a while
:hihi:

do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 am
fortycoats wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm Software ilok is very useful, huge timesaver when setting up a new machine or working at a different location.

No searching old emails for serials, asking for activations or installing loads of portal/manger apps.

Never had issues here.
My timesaver is even better.. I don't use a single plugin that uses an installer as well as no copy protection - apart from 2 plugins (out of around 100) that have key files. I can just drag and drop my plugin folder, point the DAW to it and hey presto. Took me a while to find all the right plugins to build this (dream) way of working but I managed it.
I only use Eventide Anthology XI and newfangled audio elevate bundle along with RX7 and Ableton Suite. Covers pretty much everything I need.

I donated everything else in my collection and will continue to do so as free plugins appear in my inbox at the appointed times of the year.

I wouldn’t buy or use anything which needs the dongle and have made the password easy to remember.

Not expecting lost license problems in the future and I have never had to think about ilok. I’m sure it’s running in the background but doesn’t keep me awake at night.

fortycoats wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm Software ilok is very useful, huge timesaver when setting up a new machine or working at a different location.

No searching old emails for serials, asking for activations or installing loads of portal/manger apps.

Never had issues here.
Same experience here :tu:

Okay not trolling but genuienly, how do i deactivate a soft-license i have activated on another machine to which i don't have the access to anymore?

Ploki wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:02 pm Okay not trolling but genuienly, how do i deactivate a soft-license i have activated on another machine to which i don't have the access to anymore?
Y U No Google?

https://www.ilok.com/#!faq
I bought a new computer and some of my licenses are still on the old computer that I no longer have access to! How do I get them to my new computer?
Because the licenses are tied to the old computer, there is no way to deactivate the licenses without access to the computer. Since we do not have the authority to distribute additional licenses, you will need to contact the software publisher for help with this.

Understand that the software publishers are the only ones capable of licensing their products. PACE merely builds the infrastructure for the software publishers to distribute their products in the way that is consistent with their licensing terms.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

-removed

LeVzi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:28 am What is annoying me more now, isn't the software, but the attitude of the iLok support person i'm speaking with.
There's no debating that bad attitudes, and flat-out ignorance
can infect a support staff. If such an employee is a top dog
in the room, it's even worse. But that's an HR issue,
that is not limited to ilok people.
I hope you can get it sorted!

hm, i remember when i first bought protools i got two "free" trial licenses for protools on it that couldn't be removed... on a fresh iLok, for some reason.
and neither Pace nor Avid helped me to remove them... i think they might still be there.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pmLook it's really simple....those who have been suckered into paying extra for a Dongle to protect someone else's intellectual property even though their own intellectual property (music) created with that software can't also be so protected will always defend Dongles.
What dongles? iLok doesn't require a dongle. I sure as hell don't have one.
Those who have seen thorough that scam and refuse to buy a Dongle will always attack them. Very rarely does anyone ever change camps. And the wheels on the bus go round and round.... :shrug:
Ignorance is like that. However once you are in possession of all the facts, it is easy to see the value and change sides, just like I did.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Delete

Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:06 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:02 pm Okay not trolling but genuienly, how do i deactivate a soft-license i have activated on another machine to which i don't have the access to anymore?
Y U No Google?

https://www.ilok.com/#!faq
I bought a new computer and some of my licenses are still on the old computer that I no longer have access to! How do I get them to my new computer?
Because the licenses are tied to the old computer, there is no way to deactivate the licenses without access to the computer. Since we do not have the authority to distribute additional licenses, you will need to contact the software publisher for help with this.

Understand that the software publishers are the only ones capable of licensing their products. PACE merely builds the infrastructure for the software publishers to distribute their products in the way that is consistent with their licensing terms.
Yup, that FAQ precisely sums up why iLok is such a terrible system. It isn't failure-tolerant at all. Lose a couple of studio computers in (insert disaster here)? Your software that you paid money for no longer works even if you get replacement computers! Unless you buy their "cloud" protection racket or something...

ztrauq wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 am

Yup, that FAQ precisely sums up why iLok is such a terrible system. It isn't failure-tolerant at all. Lose a couple of studio computers in (insert disaster here)? Your software that you paid money for no longer works even if you get replacement computers! Unless you buy their "cloud" protection racket or something...
exactly... So dongle-less pace is really unmanagable, since you need to deal with two user supports not one. :dog:

Hmm I’m pretty sure losing several computers would involve some communication with non ilok developers and probably not going to be quick, painless or free to get things back.

Invisible has been my experience with ilok software licensing for the few years I’ve been using it. I still have spare activations on everything.

Why is this thread in the effects forum?

Genuinely curious 🤔

LeVzi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:28 am What is annoying me more now, isn't the software, but the attitude of the iLok support person i'm speaking with.

They can see I have 2 accounts, and they both link to the same PC ID , and instead of making life easier and solving the issue, they have said the issue is closed. Unless I pay $50 to move 3 licenses which I own, to make life easier by having all my licenses in the one place.

Well at least the plugins are working, but it does seem they are, indirectly, saying they suspect I don't own some of the licenses. Otherwise surely it's my business to transfer licenses from one account to another, why would I pay for that, the license ownership isn't changing.
But then that would mean their security and anti-piracy is all a ruse because they’re willing to let you buy someone else’s license for a discount of the transfer cost. No, I don’t think that’s it. They just have a policy to extract as much money from their captured customer base as possible and there’s no going around it because they know the customers are trapped by wanting the software whose developers believed their propaganda.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Effects”