Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is very simple. Everyone starts off in the pro dongle category. Its the default, until something goes wrong, lol.

The fact there are so many who dislike it tells you there is a lot of potential for a nasty surprise one day. You don't choose to be pro dongle, or against dongle. It happens to you, haha.

Be warned, la lee la, lee laa
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

It would be simple if it was true, however I have gone the other way. I was staunchly against them but sort of forced to give it a go, only to find out that it's actually great.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:28 am What is annoying me more now, isn't the software, but the attitude of the iLok support person i'm speaking with.

They can see I have 2 accounts, and they both link to the same PC ID , and instead of making life easier and solving the issue, they have said the issue is closed. Unless I pay $50 to move 3 licenses which I own, to make life easier by having all my licenses in the one place.

Well at least the plugins are working, but it does seem they are, indirectly, saying they suspect I don't own some of the licenses. Otherwise surely it's my business to transfer licenses from one account to another, why would I pay for that, the license ownership isn't changing.
But then that would mean their security and anti-piracy is all a ruse because they’re willing to let you buy someone else’s license for a discount of the transfer cost. No, I don’t think that’s it. They just have a policy to extract as much money from their captured customer base as possible and there’s no going around it because they know the customers are trapped by wanting the software whose developers believed their propaganda.
But in this case they can see when the thing was registered, who by and to what machine, they have a log of the account being created and each license that was activated, if they had been activated on a different account and email then i'd understand that, but they were not, they were licensed to the same email and activated on the same PC ID, and to me, that's them being overly stubborn and greedy. They support has stopped, they won't reply, so says all for Ilok IMO, don't really care about their customer base, but as the plugins actually are working now, all be it over 2 accounts, i'm not going to persue it.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:46 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:41 am
LeVzi wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:28 am What is annoying me more now, isn't the software, but the attitude of the iLok support person i'm speaking with.

They can see I have 2 accounts, and they both link to the same PC ID , and instead of making life easier and solving the issue, they have said the issue is closed. Unless I pay $50 to move 3 licenses which I own, to make life easier by having all my licenses in the one place.

Well at least the plugins are working, but it does seem they are, indirectly, saying they suspect I don't own some of the licenses. Otherwise surely it's my business to transfer licenses from one account to another, why would I pay for that, the license ownership isn't changing.
But then that would mean their security and anti-piracy is all a ruse because they’re willing to let you buy someone else’s license for a discount of the transfer cost. No, I don’t think that’s it. They just have a policy to extract as much money from their captured customer base as possible and there’s no going around it because they know the customers are trapped by wanting the software whose developers believed their propaganda.
But in this case they can see when the thing was registered, who by and to what machine, they have a log of the account being created and each license that was activated, if they had been activated on a different account and email then i'd understand that, but they were not, they were licensed to the same email and activated on the same PC ID, and to me, that's them being overly stubborn and greedy. They support has stopped, they won't reply, so says all for Ilok IMO, don't really care about their customer base, but as the plugins actually are working now, all be it over 2 accounts, i'm not going to persue it.
I agree. They’re just being dicks.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fortycoats wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:35 pm Hmm I’m pretty sure losing several computers would involve some communication with non ilok developers and probably not going to be quick, painless or free to get things back.

Celemony allows you to disable any licensed computer on their page.
with u-he i had absolutely no issue.
Voxengo, no issue
fabfilter idk yet because i haven't wiped anything yet since installing it.
The only issues i had i think were with (maybe) Fxpansion? they had to manually remove old activations and approve new ones.
Everything else was copy-paste serials or online activation, up and running in no time.

That sounds like a little bit more work than de-activating and re-activating the licenses with a few mouseclicks but whatever works for you!

I think the moral of this thread is that having multiple ilok accounts isn’t a great idea but still won’t break anything.

Good night and good luck 👍

fortycoats wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm That sounds like a little bit more work than de-activating and re-activating the licenses with a few mouseclicks but whatever works for you!

I think the moral of this thread is that having multiple ilok accounts isn’t a great idea but still won’t break anything.

Good night and good luck 👍
Yeah it is, it's some copypasting and it's annoying - but it's usually not a problem if you forget to deactivate them, or if your computer dies and you didn't have a chance to do so - on the iLok it is regardless of which vendor you have, in that case you have a problem.

Last post from me in here...

everything I have on ilok license manager still has a spare activation. None have been used but it’s nice I’m covered in the event of a disaster and it won’t cost me time or money to get that stuff back.

I was hesitant about ilok for decades because of these type of threads.

Can’t comment on the dongle stuff, I wouldn’t pay for protection.

fortycoats wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:46 pm Last post from me in here...

everything I have on ilok license manager still has a spare activation. None have been used but it’s nice I’m covered in the event of a disaster and it won’t cost me time or money to get that stuff back.

I was hesitant about ilok for decades because of these type of threads.

Can’t comment on the dongle stuff, I wouldn’t pay for protection.
I mean - i don't really care that much as long as there is an option. I do prefer that companies cater to both camps (like iZotope), because if I were a PACE user, it would certainly annoy me that i can't have ALL my licenses in one place (because the idea is wonderful), and if i don't want it (because i dont think its implemented all that well) it's pretty annoying to have it shoved down your throat.

I both gullfoss a couple of weeks before they switched to iLok and while they still support both licenses, they plan to drop non-pace soon... Well, when we get there.

Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???
Is it? Don't think so. But I also never had a single problem with it (or elicenser) so I'm not in a raging mood. :lol:

Return to “Effects”