What are some VSTs you hate any time you hear them in a song?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any VSTs, effects, or sounds that make you cringe or dismiss the song when you hear them?

For example any time I hear the slayer guitar VST that comes with FL Studio in a song, I can't take it seriously. It makes me assume the person is a beginner.

Yet there's probably a lot of stuff that I use that might be like that, and I just don't know it.

Who cares? The Titans beat the Patriots ! :hihi:

Anything you can spot and pinpoint means it has been poorly used.

mrsugmad wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:27 am Who cares? The Titans beat the Patriots ! :hihi:
Yes This !

I never liked the DX7 Rhodes sound; it sounds like silk and glass and shrieking cats. I also dislike anything with a bright, piercing, unnatural high end, so aural exciters and such have to go. And then there's autotune... it's the Operation Paperclip of the studio.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

This thread is about Autotune and that family of overused products, right? I mean, how could this thread NOT be entirely about the disaster for art that was the invention of easy-access pitch-correction for vocals?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:32 am Anything you can spot and pinpoint means it has been poorly used.
I’m in general agreement with this. Sometimes, though, I hear things, know them instantly, and it’s not a bad thing because I’m probably the only one (in the immediate location) who knows. Like Mellotron sounds. :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:30 am This thread is about Autotune and that family of overused products, right?
Given that neither the OP nor the title mentioned autotune at all, and autotune was merely one of three products listed (Slayer guitar whatever and the DX7 Rhodes being the others), and I was the one who brought it up via a snarky potshot and ovscure reference, I'm a bit confused as to why you think this thread is about autotune. 1/3 is hardly a majority.

However, your feelings were inadvertently hurt; please accept my apology.
I mean, how could this thread NOT be entirely about the disaster for art that was the invention of easy-access pitch-correction for vocals?
Perhaps because the rest of us are talking about sounds we dislike, of which only one is autotune?

As an extra bonus, here are a few other sounds I dislike: active pickups, unaliased sounds, metallic reverbs (except where that is what I want), and maybe glitch effects.

Cheers.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:17 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:30 am This thread is about Autotune and that family of overused products, right?
Given that neither the OP nor the title mentioned autotune at all, and autotune was merely one of three products listed (Slayer guitar whatever and the DX7 Rhodes being the others), and I was the one who brought it up via a snarky potshot and ovscure reference, I'm a bit confused as to why you think this thread is about autotune. 1/3 is hardly a majority.

However, your feelings were inadvertently hurt; please accept my apology.
:lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi:

I didn't even notice you had listed it yourself!
Jafo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:17 am
I mean, how could this thread NOT be entirely about the disaster for art that was the invention of easy-access pitch-correction for vocals?
Perhaps because the rest of us are talking about sounds we dislike, of which only one is autotune?

As an extra bonus, here are a few other sounds I dislike: active pickups, unaliased sounds, metallic reverbs (except where that is what I want), and maybe glitch effects.

Cheers.
I don't know that I would know what active pickups sound like. Interesting. Unaliased sounds... meaning you like digital noise? Me too, in many (but not all) places. Interesting that you prefer them over anything else. I don't like metallic reverbs either. Which glitch effects? Aliased sounds are kind of glitched, sonically, aren't they?

All in good fun

:-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Absolute hate those overcompressed, lower-mid dubstep/EDM snares that make that "foot"/"fwoot" sound, seem to be at least partly composed of a kick sample, and sound godawful to these ears, but then I generally prefer my snares to sound like snares (or more usually rimshots or woodblocks).

Slightly offtopic but also those "aggressive" basses and leads that come off as more attention-seeking/irritating than actually malevolent, especially when appearing in the context of cartoonish, dayglo EDM. The aural equivalent of that "friend of a friend of a friend" who appears in photos at social occasions pulling really douchey gangsta poses but nobody knows quite why they're there or why they don't go and annoy someone else (although I may just be old and grumpy now).

Nexus. Especially THAT ONE piano. Dunno which patch it is, but can reckognize it every time.
...and Omnisphere. The lightbulb patch is awesome, but it's in EVERY documentary movie soundtrack and there's not enough bells patches in there to cover the amount of trap-rap beats that are using them.
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

All effects that make those pumping sounds.
I try to listen to whole songs with that in it. I can't stand a whole song.
Every time i get a real physical headache.

the sound of football fans.

Agree... Those cruddy Dub Step snares. Doop... Dooop... Ugh! And that plastic bass sound it uses - 'cause it sounds like a jumped on bagpipe.

And anything autotune.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

German Trumpet (Nexus Preset)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Effects”