Local Technique - Soothing Music for Stressed Machines (I'm not dead!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been a bit quiet lately and haven't been making any music for the last few months. With jamuary going on I figured it was time to fire up the gear and have a bit of a sesh. This is the end result.

https://soundcloud.com/localtechnique/s ... d-machines
Image Image Image Image

yay! glad youre not dead :)

will listen another time, not near monitors.

Interesting piece. For my preference, I'd have the piano louder. But I get that it's not the main focus, here :tu:

Enjoyed it!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:38 pm Interesting piece. For my preference, I'd have the piano louder. But I get that it's not the main focus, here :tu:

Enjoyed it!
Thanks for checking it out! You're probably right about the piano. The preceding jam had louder piano and I thought at the time it was a bit too loud. Listening back to both of them now it was probably about right. I also find it kinda hard to get velocity right with the reface keyboard. Playing it single-handed while tweaking other knobs doesn't make it any easier :)

As a bonus, here's a clip from that other jam:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 161847.mp3
Image Image Image Image

nice!
i like the first mix, although not heard the second yet, i think the piano sits just right, hiding the familiar in the noise 8)
sounds like you had fun too, getting back to it :)

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 pm nice!
i like the first mix, although not heard the second yet, i think the piano sits just right, hiding the familiar in the noise 8)
sounds like you had fun too, getting back to it :)
Thanks vurt! Yeah it was nice to poke around with the gear again. I haven't been back to it since but I will soon.
Image Image Image Image

i will check the other mix too.
just didnt want to do them back to back.
give time for the first to digest :hihi:

sprnva wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:38 pm Interesting piece. For my preference, I'd have the piano louder. But I get that it's not the main focus, here :tu:

Enjoyed it!
Thanks for checking it out! You're probably right about the piano. The preceding jam had louder piano and I thought at the time it was a bit too loud. Listening back to both of them now it was probably about right. I also find it kinda hard to get velocity right with the reface keyboard. Playing it single-handed while tweaking other knobs doesn't make it any easier :)

See, that's much better for my tastes. For me, noise is a great side-dish, whereas Vurt prefers it as the main event (That sometimes works, also).

I actually think this was better balanced. My preference would be to notch some of the brightest/hardest frequencies in post, or even slightly cut the edgiest velocities, to compensate for not having been played in with the most expressive of keyboards.

Either way. Great job! :tu:

you have also inspired me to try something similar with the guitar.
id always wanted to do modular and guitar stuff, but the idea was for the modular to be more sequenced with rhythm.
or a drone on the modular accompanied by long ebow notes.
had not comsidered a drone with a more melpdic thing going on too.
will obviously be less live tweaking as guitar requires both hands :hihi:

but, thank you for the inspiration 8)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Enjoyed it!

See, that's much better for my tastes. For me, noise is a great side-dish, whereas Vurt prefers it as the main event (That sometimes works, also).

I actually think this was better balanced. My preference would be to notch some of the brightest/hardest frequencies in post, or even slightly cut the edgiest velocities, to compensate for not having been played in with the most expressive of keyboards.

not sure i prefer it yet.
was just saying for me, the original post worked. there where many things id have probably done different had it been me, but as a piece i enjoyed it as was.

that said, reading ypur suggestion as i was listening i can totally see what you mean.
i could actually see the two odeas together as a performance.
start with the piano even more hidden, then a slight raising. then lower the noise to almost minimal and bring the piano up.
a 3 part piece.
although, doing it live, alone, could be tricky :hihi:

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:24 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Enjoyed it!

not sure i prefer it yet.
was just saying for me, the original post worked. there where many things id have probably done different had it been me, but as a piece i enjoyed it as was.

that said, reading ypur suggestion as i was listening i can totally see what you mean.
i could actually see the two odeas together as a performance.
start with the piano even more hidden, then a slight raising. then lower the noise to almost minimal and bring the piano up.
a 3 part piece.
although, doing it live, alone, could be tricky :hihi:
Indeed!

That's assuming it's destined for live performance. I'm sure there are workarounds, if that's the case :tu:

no i mean he recorded it live, hence one handed piano, one on the modular.
add a mixer and errr... :hihi:

Oh :oops:

as you say though, not impossible, just may take some practice to keep the pisno going while the other hand is switching instruments.

or you could add two volume pedals (assuming the modular is one output)

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:44 pm as you say though, not impossible, just may take some practice to keep the pisno going while the other hand is switching instruments.

or you could add two volume pedals (assuming the modular is one output)
No man is an island, Vurtrand :shrug:

Return to “Music Cafe”